PDA

View Full Version : I just want to lower the rear of my Astra TS SRi Turbo

AllenR
26th October 2014, 03:39 PM
Hi guys has anyone just lowered the rear of their Astra TS Sri Turbo
The front is low enough, but the back sits up in the air and the car looks like it has a nose down attitude and would look much better about 30mm lower in the rear.
Can anyone highlight any issues or suggestions, if suitable lower rear springs were dropped in?

Shadow110
26th October 2014, 07:33 PM
Spring rates would be off but if you want to just lower the rear most places will sell just the rear.
Pedders, eibach, lovells... choice is yours :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

AllenR
27th October 2014, 04:42 PM
Spring rates would be off but if you want to just lower the rear most places will sell just the rear.
Pedders, eibach, lovells... choice is yours :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I can't tell if the rear springs are original. They have "JP" written on them.
Front spoiler clearance is 13cm and from the top of the front wheel arch to the ground 61.5 cm.
The rear clearance is 19cm, with 64 cm from the top of the wheel arch to the ground.
Not as bad as it looks.

Raisin
29th October 2014, 08:23 AM
I always find driving around with a few bodies in the boot fixes that right up. :lol:

vekara
29th October 2014, 08:54 AM
By lowering the rear only you are changing the balance of the car. It will result in the increase of under steering, hardly the effect you want in a front wheel car. also the air flow under the car in high speed starts lifting the car off the road thus reducing grip.
WRC cars adjust suspension height by millimetres to get the right balance and they can have 300mm clearance.

Don't mess with it.

guy 27
29th October 2014, 09:00 AM
think bunnings have a sale on angle grinders this weekend.

AllenR
29th October 2014, 12:47 PM
By lowering the rear only you are changing the balance of the car. It will result in the increase of under steering, hardly the effect you want in a front wheel car. also the air flow under the car in high speed starts lifting the car off the road thus reducing grip.
WRC cars adjust suspension height by millimetres to get the right balance and they can have 300mm clearance.

Don't mess with it.
Thanks for your sensible response.
Dropping the car all around with say Eibach's, would leave the car too low at the front for normal driving. Which is what this car is used for.
I will leave it alone.

guy 27
29th October 2014, 01:40 PM
Eibach Prokit is only 15mm drop from standard srit height.
You'll find your strut tops have compressed as well as the springs have sagged.

You really shouldn't scrap anywhere with Prokit on and putting new strut tops in.

AllenR
2nd November 2014, 05:52 PM
Eibach Prokit is only 15mm drop from standard srit height.
You'll find your strut tops have compressed as well as the springs have sagged.

You really shouldn't scrap anywhere with Prokit on and putting new strut tops in.

Sorry for the slow response. I have just spent 3 days in the Victorian high country, driving around in a 1974 Ferrari 308 Dino.
Serious good fun.
Good thinking on the strut tops. I should replace them regardless and it should fix to some degree the front to back attitude.

Wraith
6th November 2014, 12:02 PM
AFAIK the TS SriT hatch sits exactly the same front and rear as the TS SriT convertible, therefore I would recommend a set of Eibach Pro springs with a matching set of dampers (I have Koni) to suit and it will sit perfectly front and rear - have that combination on mine and the stance is perfect IMHO :)

BTW the drop of the Eibach Pro set is more like 20-25mm measured before and after fitment.