PDA

View Full Version : How crude is too crude?

SilentShout
20th September 2014, 04:42 AM
Bit of a back story:

Someone from my old old old workplace decided he would turbo his hyundai excel for very very cheap, as he was aussie, and aussies want everything for nothing :lol:

after buying a second hand turbo manifold and turbo he looked into fueling and management.

Fueling came from an extra 500cc injector placed in the boost piping aimed at the throttle body that was activated when the car saw a certain psi of boost, essentially giving a nice plume of black smoke out the back when he dumped the throttle.

and the management?? A rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

apart from the second hand xr6 intercooler, custom 2.5 inch exhaust and turbo ducting, and a walboro fuel pump from a vl turbo and if i remember correctly he put a second head gasket on to lower the compression a bit (pretty sure this is a stupid thing to do), there was nothing else. no fancy boost controllers, no aftermarket management, nil.

that was roughly 4 years ago, i managed to recently bump into him during a trip to brissy and long behold he still has it, it still pulls just as hard as it did back then. and the sound is still quite unexpected.

the purpose of this thread is all about those crude mods you have seen or heard of,
how crude do you think our euro engines can go?
what is the crudest you have seen someone modify their car for na/boost?

ive read some funny stories from sites such as homemadeturbo.com :lol:

ive also heard some stories from when i used to work at super cheap that usually ended with a bang :P

ready?

Go!

adam_92
20th September 2014, 12:12 PM
Have seen quite a few similar to what you have seen. Except in the uk ok corsas, also using the double head gasket to lower compression for a small turbo

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

dutchy
20th September 2014, 12:22 PM
Mate of mine turbocharged his Great Wall ute petrol. Spent more than the whole car is worth. Did get some decent gains though.

SilentShout
20th September 2014, 03:50 PM
I always laughed at the great wall utes. They are after all just rebadged tritons =P

And I looked more into the crude method and aparrently it is a popular turbocharging method in japan for factory na cars such as the fto etc.

I guess as long as you had the correct afr's and the ecu didnt chuck a hissy fit, if it works it works.

Only thing is would something so crude be able to be blue plated in qld =P

dutchy
20th September 2014, 05:13 PM
well, thats the thing as well. If you're not able to drive it on the road then what's the point. The Great Wall was all certified and had a plate so at least you can drive that on the road.

SilentShout
20th September 2014, 05:54 PM
This is true =) did he go full management?? Or extra injector?

dutchy
20th September 2014, 07:37 PM
This is true =) did he go full management?? Or extra injector?

Here's his post on the GW forums, includes pics too.
http://www.gwownersforum.com/great-wall-engines/topic2538.html

SilentShout
21st September 2014, 12:34 AM
haltech 500 sprint, looks like a very solid build, i retract my previous dig at great walls :)

only issue running a piggy back ecu for most of our lovely engines is the fly by wire system. IIRC currently there is only one standalone ecu capable of dealing with fly by wire. and it practically turns the car into a can bus system and is ballsy expensive. :(

dear vauxhall/opel, why are you so difficult :(

chris_r
21st September 2014, 12:39 AM
CANBUS is an industry standard and I believe most, if not all new cars in some parts of the world have been required to have it since 2008 or something.

I also believe there is more than one standalone ECU that does handle fly by wire. I'm pretty sure the VEMS ECU that I have laying around can do it with a firmware upgrade. Megasquirts should have it too. Motecs are nice ECUs, but not worth a couple of kidneys unless race car.

SilentShout
21st September 2014, 12:51 AM
I looked into megasquirts a long while back, when i had phantom dreams of boosting a getz :lol: we were all young once :P

iirc they are very compatable with gm cars, but also if i remember the gm cars are things like the pontiacs etc alot to do with the trigger wheels for timing and various sensors etc etc.

would be a very good diy project.

chris_r
21st September 2014, 12:56 AM
I looked into megasquirts a long while back, when i had phantom dreams of boosting a getz :lol: we were all young once :P

iirc they are very compatable with gm cars, but also if i remember the gm cars are things like the pontiacs etc alot to do with the trigger wheels for timing and various sensors etc etc.

would be a very good diy project.

If you're talking about four cylinder USDM GM cars, chances those engines are ECOTECs, similar to the Z22SE.

SilentShout
21st September 2014, 01:40 AM
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/383877-how-megasquirt-vauxhall-engine-ms2-v3.html

A nice write up on the ms3 with a vauxhall engine, i think its for the c20let and c20xe but he only reffers to the engines as "xe/let"

looks like the trigger wheels in most opel engines are fine.