PDA

View Full Version : Driving Behaviour in Males 18-25

nick_sixx
2nd September 2014, 12:51 PM
Hi guys,

Queensland University of Technology is working with QLD Police to improve the quality of their terrible "anti-hooning" ads. We are trying to come up with a campaign that rewards good driving behaviour, rather than reprimanding those who might choose to speed etc.

Part of my role in this process is conducting a survey to find out how to better approach the target demographic.

I would like to point out that all responses are anonymous, and QLD Police will never see individual results (just a graph or two outlining trends across the whole population).

The survey can be found here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P2TBLN3

We are looking to get as many responses as possible, so if you are 17-27, feel free to respond!

Many thanks in advance!

dutchy
2nd September 2014, 01:07 PM
Had a look through these questions Nick and I do not see any real important ones in there that could answer any questions. "We are trying to come up with a campaign that rewards good driving behaviour, rather than reprimanding those who might choose to speed etc." well the way I see it is that a reward for good driving behaviour is keeping your license.... The main problems here are the way in which young people get their license. Its just shocking to see someone the day he/she turns 16, can get into a car and just drive off with someone that has a license but no idea what the rules are. Besides that, the age is too low as well, they just learned how to ride a bicycle. They are very focussed on 1 specific target group but what about the older people that drive above their ability and are going 80 in a 100 zone ! People hogging the right lane while driving under the speed limit. People that have no ff-en clue what indicators on a car are for. and there are quite a few more examples of bad driver behaviour. Ah well, just my 2 cents of crap that doesnt make any sense.

nick_sixx
2nd September 2014, 01:20 PM
Had a look through these questions Nick and I do not see any real important ones in there that could answer any questions. "We are trying to come up with a campaign that rewards good driving behaviour, rather than reprimanding those who might choose to speed etc." well the way I see it is that a reward for good driving behaviour is keeping your license.... The main problems here are the way in which young people get their license. Its just shocking to see someone the day he/she turns 16, can get into a car and just drive off with someone that has a license but no idea what the rules are. Besides that, the age is too low as well, they just learned how to ride a bicycle. They are very focussed on 1 specific target group but what about the older people that drive above their ability and are going 80 in a 100 zone ! People hogging the right lane while driving under the speed limit. People that have no ff-en clue what indicators on a car are for. and there are quite a few more examples of bad driver behaviour. Ah well, just my 2 cents of crap that doesnt make any sense.
I happen to agree with you on a lot of points, but we have been given very specific objectives!

dutchy
2nd September 2014, 02:55 PM
I happen to agree with you on a lot of points, but we have been given very specific objectives!

And none of these will be mentioned by your target group. Please do post the outcome Nick (if you're allowed to do so)

hazrd
2nd September 2014, 04:00 PM
This looks great Nick. I would be very interested to see the results aswell if you are allowed to do so. We need to see more of this stuff because the number of negative reports we hear from the media far outweigh the number of good reports (because lets face it, a bad story makes for good viewing, apparently).

Good work mate. I wish I could participate, but I just fall out of that age bracket unfortunately.

Get on this guys if you can!

adam_92
2nd September 2014, 04:04 PM
Done.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Raisin
2nd September 2014, 04:26 PM
Filled in, but it needs a "I don't drink alcohol whatsoever" option.

Gaz6210
2nd September 2014, 06:43 PM
Done.

faneca
2nd September 2014, 07:54 PM
Filled in, but it needs a "I don't drink alcohol whatsoever" option.

I'm with Vaughn lol. I'm the same.
Cheaper that way.

Filled it in for you nick

sskustomz
2nd September 2014, 08:06 PM
Was talking to a young guy at work about this the other day and he felt that it wasn't that young drivers now are worse but that the detection methods are much better. Just thought it was interesting. He's 19 and treats me like his mum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nick_sixx
2nd September 2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I work in advertising so we are trying to come up with a campaign where you can download a particular GPS/navigation app that can detect when you are driving at or below the speed limit. For every x minutes driven at or below the speed limit, you get y amount of points, which can be used to claim z rewards (we are thinking movie tickets, free burritos, burgers etc at grill'd or GYG etc)

Elliot_O
2nd September 2014, 10:33 PM
Filled out for ya mate

Gsi_Bryce
2nd September 2014, 10:41 PM
Done!

StrickenAza34
3rd September 2014, 02:46 AM
Completed, good luck!

StrickenAza34
3rd September 2014, 02:49 AM
Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I work in advertising so we are trying to come up with a campaign where you can download a particular GPS/navigation app that can detect when you are driving at or below the speed limit. For every x minutes driven at or below the speed limit, you get y amount of points, which can be used to claim z rewards (we are thinking movie tickets, free burritos, burgers etc at grill'd or GYG etc)
Sounds like S Drive: S-Drive: Drive safe. Be rewarded: http://youtu.be/A8dAUA4wKBU

nick_sixx
3rd September 2014, 07:06 AM
Sounds like S Drive: S-Drive: Drive safe. Be rewarded: http://youtu.be/A8dAUA4wKBU
Haha yep, that's the one!

SilentShout
9th September 2014, 01:06 AM
I completed it but there are multiple questions I feel need to be clarified for my understanding?

"it's easy for me to drink drive and not get caught" - I dont take my car if I go drinking, which only happens roughly once every year. there's no option for "i dont drink and drive"

"I enjoy speeding" - I enjoy speeding on the track which is why I take the car to willowbank raceway frequently to enjoy the thrills of the car in a safe and controlled manner, Does this question relate to "in general" or specifically on the road?

"I get embarrassed if somebody I look up to catches me hooning or speeding" - I dont hoon or speed on the street as I value the life of my passengers and of those around me. Most i ever do is accelerate without going past the limit especially when being cut off by a truck driver. there's no option for this.

it looks like i was able to leave the questions blank and submit it so its done.

to be honest something i feel should be implemented or at least trialed is Drivers Education in schools. Make it compulsory and taught by someone who is recognized by the government, or make it optional and if the student takes it they can shave hours off their learners log book or something (unsure how other states work)

to further shave hours off their log book they could take a drivers safety course to learn how to cope with situations.

and lastly I know anything i say wont be implemented because reducing every Km over, reduces every extra Dollar in the pigs pocket. I enjoy how they claim its not revenue raising by hiding a camera in the bushes where people wont even know its there until they get a fine in the mail a month later.

Ohai ther ociffer :clapsmiley:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/picture-166-1024x768.thumbnail.jpg

Older article but worth a read.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/11828/police-agree-speed-cameras-are-for-revenue-raising/

If you want to save lives on the road I firmly believe its done through education before they even get behind the wheel in conjunction with a less profitable mindset from our trusted friendly and ever so honest government.

/endrant

Bloodnok
9th September 2014, 08:31 AM
I'm just a little old to be able to fill out your survey, but I did look at the questions.

Quite a few are 'leading questions' - as picked up by the people who don't drink. There is also the question of whether people feel 'speeding' (driving over the posted speed limit) is the same as 'driving at excessive speed'. Given the maximum safe speed varies up and down infinitely based on a myriad of factors (visibility, surface quality, behaviour and density of other road users, capability of vehicle and driver, etc), none of which are taken into consideration by a fixed, unchanging, painted metal board with a number on it (and that number is set by some often totally brain dead rules - the pacific motorway is set by the exact same rules as the 2 lane truck routes from Mt Isa, for example...), there is virtually never an occasion where the safe limit and the legal limit would be exactly equal.

Increasing compliance with legal limits doesn't help with getting drivers to make educated choices regarding safe limits, which means more accidents in poor conditions (when the safe limit is below the legal limit). The best answer to this is driver education. There is also some evidence that raising legal limits on open road stretches is also helpful, even without an increase in education.

I also have some concerns about the app itself. I've watched the video that appeared when the Newcastle trial was done, but not tried it myself. If it is made available here I would try it, but I have reservations.

Does it work on non-Samsung android phones? (And what about iThings, for those of a 'walled garden' persuasion?)

Does it support reading arbitrary notifications, or just SMS? A lot of people use other protocols for 'text messaging' that isn't actually SMS, and if it can't cope with each individuals protocol of choice, that's a deal breaker. (Given Hangouts has followed iMessage into mixing protocols depending on the capability of the recipient, and that hangouts is Google's default SMS app now, I would expect this issue to affect most people.)

Does it allow arbitrary navigation apps, or just one? If one, where do the maps come from? Not all mapping software is created equal. I use a mixture of three different apps right now, one which gives me the road layout and places of interest, one that gives me road features and hazards (more than s.drive would ever give by itself), and one for actual navigation. I use them at different times and in different circumstances. And the latter is commonly provided by cars themselves, so is becoming increasingly unimportant as a phone feature...

adam_92
9th September 2014, 12:38 PM
I was also a bit unsure on some of the questions. Example the drink driving one, I could very easily drink and drive and not get caught as there is literally a pub at the bottom of my road, but I very rarely drink. Also the speeding one. I dont get a kick out of breaking the speed limit at 50/60kmh but I do enjoy driving fast when appropriate and in the right place.

nick_sixx
9th September 2014, 09:40 PM
I was also a bit unsure on some of the questions. Example the drink driving one, I could very easily drink and drive and not get caught as there is literally a pub at the bottom of my road, but I very rarely drink. Also the speeding one. I dont get a kick out of breaking the speed limit at 50/60kmh but I do enjoy driving fast when appropriate and in the right place.

You've answered the questions perfectly.

The survey isn't to find out who enjoys breaking the law, its to find out how people feel about hooning/reckless driving etc....forget about the implications for the most part