PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Astra sri turbo upgrades...

Dan27
18th August 2014, 09:17 PM
Just curious to know what you's recommend as for performance upgrade.... at the moment my car is stock as a rock and wouldnt mind a bit more power. any suggestions

dutchy
18th August 2014, 09:49 PM
for you an eds ipf remap to start with (and then maybe a new clutch if it doesn't hold stage 1)

Dan27
18th August 2014, 09:54 PM
Without sounding stupid whats a eds ipf? i aint used to using the terms stage 1,2,3,4 or so on lol im use to old school just put a boost controller and gauge and boost it abit lol sorry for sounding dumb

dutchy
18th August 2014, 10:04 PM
putting on a boost controller and a gauge doesn't do anything. In simple terms , an eds ipf is a tuning device that changes settings in your ecu upping the boost, changing fuel etc... Stage 1 is just a term for a first stage of tune for which you do not have to change anything on the car as far as parts concern. A better airfilter and some new plugs would be recommended and obviously your car would have to be in tip top shape. This remap is the best bang for your hard earned and will give you instant very noticeable improvement.

GUN16V
18th August 2014, 10:33 PM
Without sounding stupid whats a eds ipf? i aint used to using the terms stage 1,2,3,4 or so on lol im use to old school just put a boost controller and gauge and boost it abit lol sorry for sounding dumb

Im the same as you mate lol. Unfortunatley with the astra if you boost it via an EBC too much past stock it will go into limp mode. As dutchy said best bang for buck performance upgrade is getting an eds tune. stage one is around 240hp I beleive (200hp stock). progressing to stage 2,3 etc will require more supporting mods.

After a remap id suggest a turbo back exhaust, intercooler and intake mods, VXR turbo depending on your budget..

Dan27
18th August 2014, 11:01 PM
Any idea where/how much a remap would cost? now i know i can do piggyback and so on but whats better remapping the ecu or just after market piggyback? im not really looking for supercar performance wouldnt mind getting it in the mid 14s it will be a daily driver.

and limp mode isnt any fun. having owned a vectra i had alot of experience with sensors going bad.

dutchy
19th August 2014, 07:13 AM
check out the eds website, will give you more info on this; http://eds-motorsport.de/ As for going the piggyback route, that'll cost you much and much more.

adam_92
19th August 2014, 07:43 AM
I'd personally start with handling mods then engine parts then a tune once everything is fitted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Shadow110
19th August 2014, 08:57 AM
I'd personally start with handling mods then engine parts then a tune once everything is fitted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

+1 these cars love to be thrown around corners. You will find that a really good handling car will be much more fun than a high powered car.
Im looking into a group buy for a rear sway bar which is arguably the best mod for any car.

Raisin
19th August 2014, 09:19 AM
+1 these cars love to be thrown around corners. You will find that a really good handling car will be much more fun than a high powered car.
Im looking into a group buy for a rear sway bar which is arguably the best mod for any car.

This.

My recommendation would be to get sticky tires, rear sway bar, maybe front swaybar links to replace the plastic ones and new bushings for the suspension(depending on your car's mileage).

Dan27
19th August 2014, 09:42 AM
at the moment its running khumos which seem to handle pretty well. what performance mods would be needed for mid 14s at the track?

Raisin
19th August 2014, 09:44 AM
at the moment its running khumos which seem to handle pretty well. what performance mods would be needed for mid 14s at the track?

Which ones? I just put on a set of Kumho KU39s a week ago, which hold up ok, but I have already found their limits yesterday on the Putty Road. ^^

Dan27
19th August 2014, 09:48 AM
ah i havent checked what kind yet bit wet outside, all i know is khumo all seasons lol my family like khumos for some reason brother and father always ran them on their cars

GUN16V
19th August 2014, 07:35 PM

A stock car with a remap will get you there. without a remap you would need a turbo back exhaust, FMIC and maybe a slight increse in boost.

Having said that ive been going through some old threads on here lately and i seem to recall a few guys doing 14.7-14.9 stock or close to it. Biggest problem with the astras is they dont have have an LSD and getting them off the line can be tough.

Dan27
19th August 2014, 08:28 PM
Yeah i noticed no lsd sucks even with traction control it doesnt do to well.. Any idea where in sydney to get the ecu remapped or how much roughly?

Raisin
19th August 2014, 09:25 PM
Yeah i noticed no lsd sucks even with traction control it doesnt do to well.. Any idea where in sydney to get the ecu remapped or how much roughly?

This is pretty much the go-to option if you aren't going to spend big bucks from what I've seen.
http://regal-auto.co.uk/shop/eds-ipf-c-1_8_668/

Others know more than me so I may stand corrected on this, but with these Opel ECUs it's not so easy to just re-tune them like it might be on a Subaru or some of the other Japanese brands. Most people go with some sort of re-flashing device that offers an array of maps to suit different levels of mods. The EDS IPF device is the name I see most often.

mickos
19th August 2014, 09:26 PM

Search the web for EDS IPF tunes there is tonnes of good info, wouldn't worry about custom tune on standard car

dutchy
19th August 2014, 09:32 PM
My old sri-t had all custom tuning (and parts) and you're talking big dollars. As other have also said, do a search foe an eds ipf, bet that'll meet your needs just fine.