PDA

View Full Version : NSW P Plate prohibited vehicles list changes

mondo
12th July 2014, 07:46 AM
Hey guys,

For those drivers in New South Wales who are complaining about not being able to drive your favourite turbo car because you're on your P's, the rules are about to change.

As of the 1st of August, 2014, the rules governing what constitutes a "prohibited vehicle" will change. No longer will there be a blanket "no turbos, no superchargers, no V8's" etc, but rather we will be converting to a power-to-weight based system. Basically, any vehicle with more than 130kw per tonne (tare weight), any vehicles with significantly modified engines or other specially classified performance vehicles will now be illegal. This opens up significantly more makes and models to young drivers.

Opel Astra OPC - Banned
Opel Insignia OPC - Banned
Opel Corsa OPC - Allowed
Opel Astra GTC - Allowed

In fact, all Opel badged vehicles available in Australis apart from the Astra & Insignia OPC seem to be on the "allowed" list.

HSV Astra VXR - Banned
HSV Astra SV1800 - Allowed
Holden Astra SRi Turbo - Allowed
Holden Astra TS Turbo Convertible - Allowed
Holden Calibra YE Turbo - Allowed
Holden Piazza 2x2 - Allowed

there's probably other models i haven't listed? These changes are a victory for common sense.

For more info, check here:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/geared/your_car/buying/p1_p2_prohibited_vehicles.html

No longer will that 150+ page PDF be the performance car bible, you will need to check out the particular vehicle details here, on a handy search engine:

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/drivers/youngdrivers/vehicle-restrictions.html

chris_r
12th July 2014, 01:17 PM
I've never been a big believer in the whole "no turbos/V8s, etc" mantra that the states have implemented over the years. Especially when you could have small naturally aspirated 4 cylinder vehicles that can go just as fast and then there are turbo vehicles like the Cruze 1.4 that aren't exactly setting the performance world alight with massive numbers like 103kW. The power to weight system is obviously more sensible in this regard.

Still, what the authorities don't mention is, the biggest cause of vehicular accidents amongst younger drivers is inexperience. Sure, it's not something you can inject or take orally to totally cure the problem, but there are steps that can be taken to minimise its effects. And I'm still a firm believer that our driver training systems, which in SA at least haven't dramatically changed since licences were first issued, could be greatly improved upon with the addition of further defensive driving courses, etc. It's all good and well to issue a licence that says you can drive in a straight line, turn a corner, reverse parallel park and how to give way at an intersection, but it doesn't tell someone how to handle a blowout or an aquaplaning car, because when someone initially experiences one of these situations, it often ends badly due to inexperience.

Take your heavy machinery licences/tickets for example, as part of the course, you're shown/taught what to do if things go wrong as part of the OH&S procedures for operating that machinery, yet why aren't you shown the same for getting a car licence?

dutchy
12th July 2014, 04:53 PM
The whole system of getting a car license here is just wrong. I had to do proper lessons and do a few track day sessions (drifting, sliding etc..) before I was able to do exams and get a license to drive on the roads. This took a minimum of 30 lessons with a driving school too. chris_r , I agree

Raisin
12th July 2014, 05:01 PM
I agree with you completely there Chris. The driver training requirements to get a license need to change.

I was quite excited to see the Astra G SRi Trubo is allowed now. As most of you know they are hands down my favourite shape Astra and I have always wanted one in Arden Blue. I actually went and test drove one this morning, but I probably won't be buying it as there were too many little things wrong with it.