PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Sydney

mattav
17th June 2014, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone,

My names Matt, been browsing for a few months & thought i'd say hi :)

Picked up my first ever new car just over a week ago now an Opel Astra Sport, very happy with it!

After comparing a lot of different cars & price ranges for about 6 months I settled on the Astra, there's not many new sports left & had to search everywhere to get one that had every option, looked like the last one was in Brisbane & was the colour I was after. Jumped at the opportunity & drove it home over the long weekend just gone, great road trip!

First things first, need tints ASAP.

Anyone around the Northern Beaches feel free to say hi, havent seen one of these around here yet.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/mattnorton001/MattsOpelAstra_zps766b22ce.png (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/mattnorton001/media/MattsOpelAstra_zps766b22ce.png.html)

faneca
17th June 2014, 08:46 PM
Welcome along mate! Good lookinh car! Much planned for it after tint?

dutchy
17th June 2014, 08:48 PM
Welcome Matt :)

guy 27
17th June 2014, 09:02 PM
Welcome to oa

adam_92
17th June 2014, 09:03 PM
Welcome to opelaus

mickos
17th June 2014, 09:26 PM
G'day mate
Lots of creature comforts

Shadow110
17th June 2014, 10:30 PM
Welcome! :)

mattav
18th June 2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks everyone :)

faneca, not planning on alot, its a creature comfort cruiser (like Mickos said) more than anything but will be wanting to unleash abit more performance when i've done a few more kms (ecu upgrade) to make it abit more lively to drive & some small cosmetics down the track.

legsmatty
14th July 2014, 09:54 PM
Hi Matt,

I've got the same car as you (no flex-ride though), in auto, and silver. It's a sensational car that I'm very happy with. I've had mine for about 9 months now and have observed a few things:
- the AFL headlights are simply sensational! Though I leave the auto high beam function off as it becomes a bit annoying.
- the windscreen washer bottle could be bigger as it's also used for headlight washing. I'm usually filling it up every 3 weeks or so.
- the engine has noticeably better performance on 98 RON, to the point where that's all I use now.
- with a mix of about 50:50 freeway/urban driving, and with a fairly heavy foot, my overall average so far is 9.0l/100.
- the auto transmission has a few quirks that you learn to drive around. Though it's still quite annoying in crawling stop-start traffic.

Otherwise, it's a great car and I love driving it. The seats are also supremely comfortable.

Hope you're enjoying your so far. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Cheers
Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattav
18th July 2014, 08:05 PM
Hey legsmatty, agree with you there, its a great car for the money! the AFL is really awesome, especially on these dark nights, they really live upto their description I read on them, the swiveling around the corners, the parking/corner/reverse assist lights are so helpful at night & the different width & height beam spread/throw across the road at different speeds is amazing to watch. And the seats, so comfy & love them being heated especially at the moment, they heat up real quick :)

Flexride is really good, it changes the characteristics of the car so much in sport or tour mode, sport in manual mode is the pick, the throlle is so responsive & steeing weighted alot better. Can be a little firm over Sydney's bad roads in sports but nothing worse than i've had before.

I've only used BP Ultimate since I got the car with 28kms on it, im on 2,500 now & my overall average since new is 9.5L (50/50 freeway to urban, sedate to lead foot) not bad.. hoping it'll go down abit when the motor full free's up some more..

The auto isnt as intuitive as alot of the new DSG's (but also less worry or maintenance problem and costs down the track!) There is a tune available i've inquired about specific to our car that improves shiftpoints, pausing/delays etc.. I'm not sure I want to do it while the car is in warranty but it does sound appealing, message me if you like and i'll send you the details.

harley
4th August 2014, 11:28 AM
nice ride! love the colour

I just purchased a astra coupe 2005 with a turbo bodykit, looks very sporty. I didn't know what forum to join and this place looks like the place to be for ideas and concepts with these models !

rocky424
4th August 2014, 01:48 PM
The auto isnt as intuitive as alot of the new DSG's (but also less worry or maintenance problem and costs down the track!) There is a tune available i've inquired about specific to our car that improves shiftpoints, pausing/delays etc.. I'm not sure I want to do it while the car is in warranty but it does sound appealing, message me if you like and i'll send you the details.

I have the new Astra 1.6 turbo as well, in sports tourer automatic. I also find the Transmission a bit laggy and not as smooth as I would like. What tune were you referring to? Is it an engine and Transmission tune or just the later?

mattav
4th August 2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks harley, love the colour too with the big 19's - I've had some nice comments on it so far.

rocky424, visit www.jrtuning.co.uk

Specifically on transmission; http://www.jrtuning.co.uk/gearbox-remap-tcu-tuning-dsg-automatic.shtml

This is the communication I got from them regarding the tune;

Gearbox software on this vehicle concentrates on smoothing out the shifts, speeding up the shifts and it also relaxes the transmission control modules torque limiters. The latter won’t make a great deal of difference unless the engine has already been remapped. If the engine has been mapped, you’re likely hitting the gearbox TCU’s torque limiters now.. In which case mapping the gearbox will release a little extra power too.

harley
5th August 2014, 09:04 AM
mattav:
where abouts in the northern beaches do you live ?
i live near manly :)
just recently moved their with my gf

rocky424
nice ride
i don't have a turbo, it just has a turbo bodykit so its more sporty looking lol sorry about the confusion
drives smooth and clutch just slides in place. bought it off a old school friend last night, ill post a pic when i can

mattav
5th August 2014, 10:16 AM
Hey harley, like the AH's in Red with the turbo body kits. I was looking at buying a Red AH VXR at one stage, the colour really suits the car (like it does the new one I rekon) I'm up at Avalon :)