PDA

View Full Version : Astra j OPC gearbox

XOPCX
2nd June 2014, 07:14 AM
Hey guys,

My OPC has started to make a whine notice in 1st and second gear and have a clunk at take off sometimes and when going over bumps. It's only done 3,300km and had the clunk since I got it but the whine is new. Help please :(

Scorpion turbo back non res
RSS springs
RSS cold air induction kit

XOPCX
2nd June 2014, 07:15 AM
Or Is this normal and it's just taken me a while to notice?

gravy258
2nd June 2014, 06:18 PM
its cactus, take it back to the dealer ASAP

nigelh
2nd June 2014, 07:32 PM
Nothing unusual about a small amount of gear whine. One thing you might want to consider is adding a bit more oil to the gearbox because from the factory they only come with 1.8L, when I first got mine I added 1L then when I drained it on the 6 month service I filled it with 3L.

The clunk don't know maybe a engine mount or something is a bit loose. Maybe check all the engine mounts and suspension bolts and make sure there tight. I did this with mine when I first got it, didn't find any loose but worth checking anyway

XOPCX
2nd June 2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks heaps. I'll add some more oil tomorrow :)

RSS springs

corsa b combat
2nd June 2014, 08:01 PM
Since you have an aftermarket exhaust,did you check if it is secured properly?Could be the reason why it makes a cluck noise when going over bumps.

XOPCX
2nd June 2014, 08:18 PM
Nah coming from engine. Been like it since new

RSS springs

XOPCX
3rd June 2014, 05:22 PM
Hey where is the trans plug to check oil level? Can't seem to find it?

RSS springs

corsa b combat
3rd June 2014, 05:53 PM
I dont think the f40 came with a level indicator.

XOPCX
3rd June 2014, 06:19 PM
It dosent. I called regal. FML. I'll drain it tomorrow. I was advised it takes 2.5l

RSS springs

corsa b combat
3rd June 2014, 07:06 PM
Did they tell you what oil to use as well?

XOPCX
3rd June 2014, 07:08 PM
Yea I bought it today CRX 75w-90 NT

RSS springs

corsa b combat
3rd June 2014, 07:34 PM
Thats a bit thicker that we use to use back home on my mates gearbox.we used 75w-85 which is a bit thinner and shifted smoothly.Good luck with the sump bolt as its a female dog to get loose.

XOPCX
3rd June 2014, 07:35 PM
Bahahahaha thanks. I'll see how we go :)

RSS springs

gravy258
3rd June 2014, 07:54 PM
wouldn't this oil void the warranty ?
i'd let the dealer fix the thing, thats why you buy a new car

Jonno_OPC
4th June 2014, 10:39 AM
Definitely take it back to the dealer. Changing the oil might hide the problem but wont fix a gearbox mechanical issue, and the different oil will void the warranty on the gearbox if it does fail.
Are Regal in Europe? Keep in mind they'll use a different oil due to different ambient temperatures which wont suit Australian conditions.

rujo
9th June 2014, 03:24 PM
I haven't been on the forum for a while an just noticed this post. I have issues with mine too. Shifting from 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th is very stiff. sometimes i get whining in 2nd and also sometimes pops out. I think it's worst at higher revs. It's very hard to accelerate quickly and may loos a second easy when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I complained to Holden at my first service but they said it's all normal. Reading UK forums a lot of people are complaining about gearbox and have similar issues. XOPCX, have you replaced the gearbox oil and is it any better after replacing/topping up the oil?

XOPCX
9th June 2014, 03:30 PM
Changed gearbox oil yesterday. Way much smoother now. Still whining noise but I think it may be normal. I still have three years warranty so if it ****s up it's going back. I put a total of 2.2l in and it's smooth as rujo

RSS springs

nigelh
9th June 2014, 03:53 PM
I haven't been on the forum for a while an just noticed this post. I have issues with mine too. Shifting from 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th is very stiff. sometimes i get whining in 2nd and also sometimes pops out. I think it's worst at higher revs. It's very hard to accelerate quickly and may loos a second easy when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I complained to Holden at my first service but they said it's all normal. Reading UK forums a lot of people are complaining about gearbox and have similar issues. XOPCX, have you replaced the gearbox oil and is it any better after replacing/topping up the oil?

What a surprise Holden told you it was normal :mad2:. Get them to re adjust the gear linkage if they won't or can't pm me and I will tell you how to do it yourself. Have you had any grinding into 2nd?

nigelh
9th June 2014, 04:08 PM
Yea I bought it today CRX 75w-90 NT

RSS springs

Just make sure your diff doesn't start making a noise when turning corners, if you look at the miller website it says that oil is not recommended for the plate type LSD which the Drexler is. I'm guessing you got the info on what oil to use from Regal the thing you have to remember is that there car is fitted with a wavetrac diff now which is not a plate type LSD.
It might be ok I know a few other people are running that oil too in the uk and haven't had any problems so far.

Ps if you want a Wavetrac I know someone that has one for sale :)

rujo
9th June 2014, 08:04 PM
What a surprise Holden told you it was normal :mad2:. Get them to re adjust the gear linkage if they won't or can't pm me and I will tell you how to do it yourself. Have you had any grinding into 2nd?

Yes I had some grinding into 2nd a few times. I got a short shifter but that didn't make any difference. I'm not very good with the mechanical work unless it's something very simple. I'd rather get someone who knows how to do it, to make the adjustment but unfortunately Holden didn't want to do anything.

nigelh
9th June 2014, 09:07 PM
In that case best to book your car in just with that problem, that way it's more likely that a senior mechanic will have a look at your car. Might be a good idea to put the standard shifter back on first.

warnzie
10th June 2014, 07:31 AM
Not to sound all negative but have being down this path with holden on my astra select and they don't want to know. They arnt paid to fault find. I'm loosing coolant somewhere as I have to refill bottle every wk and they took it In and supposedly did a pressure test and said we couldn't find a leak so there isn't a problem.....yeah but it's using coolant so there is...continue to monitor it was there solution!!!!!!

Ur best bet like I have and am doing is getting a REAL mechanic to look at it, find the problem and then take to holden along with the bill for the mechanics time. The warranty is bit of a 💩. Being opel holden are only even more unwilling to look at them unfortunately

rujo
10th June 2014, 06:25 PM
Thanks. Will try again at the next service. Maybe even take it to a different dealer.

prolecs
4th July 2015, 08:04 AM
Ps if you want a Wavetrac I know someone that has one for sale :)

Nigel, don't suppose that Wavetrac is still for sale????

nigelh
4th July 2015, 04:49 PM
Nigel, don't suppose that Wavetrac is still for sale????

Yes it is, I've sent you a PM with the owners details. Just To make sure you know it's for a F40 gearbox that's fitted to the opc

Theo
31st July 2015, 06:38 PM
Not to sound all negative but have being down this path with holden on my astra select and they don't want to know. They arnt paid to fault find. I'm loosing coolant somewhere as I have to refill bottle every wk and they took it In and supposedly did a pressure test and said we couldn't find a leak so there isn't a problem.....yeah but it's using coolant so there is...continue to monitor it was there solution!!!!!!

Ur best bet like I have and am doing is getting a REAL mechanic to look at it, find the problem and then take to holden along with the bill for the mechanics time. The warranty is bit of a ��. Being opel holden are only even more unwilling to look at them unfortunately

Found stress fractures in my coolant reservoir and also found it was leaking from the cap. Holden's were more than happy to fault find after that and replace the bottle - all covered under warranty.
I suggest you try a different dealer.