PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a AH Astra

TUFF
27th May 2014, 11:56 AM
Hey Everyone,

The girlfriend is looking for a new car and likes the AH Astra. We took one for a test drive the other day and it was great. Apart from the normal things you look for on a car is there anything i should be checking thats specifically for the AH? I know about the timing belt issue every 60thou and it can be costly to replace ( But a hell of alot cheaper than bent valves! )

She quite likes the wagon version in an Auto.

adam_92
27th May 2014, 12:52 PM
No real major issues on them. If it was a diesel then swirl flaps fail and the m32 gearboxes in the diesels and vxr are quite weak but apart from that, there's not a lot of faults

mickos
27th May 2014, 01:06 PM
I got a mate selling a black one, has FMIC, Sachs clutch, 3" exhaust, forge recirc, uprated actuator no dramas with it well serviced

TUFF
27th May 2014, 01:37 PM
if it was for me, i would consider it but not for the girlfriend lol but thanks

mickos
27th May 2014, 03:57 PM
No dramas mate

kovert
28th May 2014, 09:37 AM
The wagon version is great if you need to transport items frequently. However I've found even the 103 kW 1.8 L wagon does not seem to accelerate from standing start as quickly as the 5-door hatch with the same engine. Sometimes it seems really, really slow. It could be the extra weight of the wagon.

gravy258
28th May 2014, 05:53 PM
maybe there's something wrong with it Kovert.
My 103kw(Z18xer) Astra didn't get going till i changed the timing belt, it was a bit sluggish prior to that ?
My wife drives a 2013 cruze wagon with the same engine (Z18xer) it goes really well. the engine seems better matched to an auto than the manual i have.

I would highly recommend a MY2008 Astra wagon.
Don't go near the diesel version but.

dutchy
28th May 2014, 07:12 PM
My sister had the wagon too and it drives like a boat on wheels. There's nothing wrong with that engine but it might just give you that sluggish feeling because its such a large car.

TUFF
28th May 2014, 08:11 PM
I've had bad experiences with a c20sel in a vectra. Have the upgraded anything with the timing belt system in these? I remember the vectra had a tensioner you had to set yourself but i know some cars have a spring loaded tensioner that keeps constant pressure on the belt.

DirtyHarry
29th May 2014, 08:53 AM
as much as i love opel's stick to a jap car, like mazda 3 for example.
no timing belts to worry about.

dutchy
29th May 2014, 09:35 AM
as much as i love opel's stick to a jap car, like mazda 3 for example.
no timing belts to worry about.

I think they were looking at a wagon and the mazda 3 doesn't have a wagon in it's line-up.

gravy258
30th May 2014, 05:58 PM
the Z18xer timing belt doesn't have the water pump running off it, and the belt is very low tension, so it would run till 120,000km just like a jap car.
I don't know why aussies have this timing belt paranoia thing, everywhere else they just change it and get on.
these AH Astra's IMHO are stonking good value now.

Shaun
30th May 2014, 07:37 PM
No real major issues on them. If it was a diesel then swirl flaps fail and the m32 gearboxes in the diesels and vxr are quite weak but apart from that, there's not a lot of faults

M32 transmission weak ? 7 years and mines still as smooth to shift as the day I bought it. Running high boost too

adam_92
30th May 2014, 07:42 PM
Well not weak but not as reliable/strong as other gearboxes, for example the f23.

chris_r
30th May 2014, 08:35 PM
the Z18xer timing belt doesn't have the water pump running off it, and the belt is very low tension, so it would run till 120,000km just like a jap car.
I don't know why aussies have this timing belt paranoia thing, everywhere else they just change it and get on.
these AH Astra's IMHO are stonking good value now.

It's because the earlier models of Astras, Barina/Corsas and even the Vectras suffered belt breakages before the initial 100,000km intervals as originally intended by Opel. Our climate is harsher on the engines (and the belts) than you might think (and what Opel didn't expect) and when Holden figured this out, they set the timing belt interval at 60,000km. I remember chatting to an ex-Holden mechanic about the Z18XER engines, he said they still set the interval at 60,000km for them regardless of the fact the timing belt on these engines is no longer driving the water pump and it's for the same reason as with all other Opel engines. And there's nothing wrong with being paranoid about the belt changes, it's better than having bent/broken valves and chipped/cracked pistons.

Jen
31st May 2014, 08:32 AM
Back when I was looking at my car I was deciding between it and a Mazda 3. Loved both, weighed up all options and even though many told me to go for the Mazda, I went for my astra. As stupid as it sounds when I stopped and just pictured myself in, I just knew it was the astra so that's what I went with. 5 years on and I still don't regret that decision. Luckily being the 2.2 it's chain driven so don't have to worry about that for another 3 years/18,000 k's by which time I may not even have it, purely due to upgrading and time for a change. Bottom line go with what you like, yes do your thorough research but sometimes it can come down to a gut feeling on which direction to go in. Honestly I agonise more over what clothes to buy then I did with making the decision to buy mine

gravy258
31st May 2014, 10:16 AM
M32 transmission weak ? 7 years and mines still as smooth to shift as the day I bought it. Running high boost too

lucky this guy wants a Auto wagon then