PDA

View Full Version : Tinting tail lights (what to use + legality)

MikeCheck
4th May 2014, 10:09 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting pretty sick of my aftermarket tail lights. Second winter I've had condensation issues and they're not fitting with my OEM vibe.

Realised I still have my stock ones in the shed and thought I'd give tinting them a go.

What's best used for it? I've heard about a Nightshade spray thing? Has anyone had results (good or bad) with it?

Also, what's the legality in Vic? Don't really want to be cruising around with illegal stuff on my car...

Cheers

M

sooty
4th May 2014, 10:38 PM
Don't use nightshade, use either vinyl or a clear coat with tint included. It's not legal in Vic as far as I know, just make sure you're not trying to make them pitch black and you can still easily see lights and brakes and you'll be fine

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

DRMAT
4th May 2014, 10:55 PM
Vinyl electrostatic film would be easiest but if you do use Nightshade then make sure you only apply it in very light coats or it'll look terrible and goes from a little dark to very dark very quickly. And yes it's illegal, just don't black them out and should be ok though.

guy 27
4th May 2014, 10:59 PM
+1 to the vinyl.

I did a set of my foglights with the vinyl. very easy to apply and is very quickly removable.

MikeCheck
4th May 2014, 11:18 PM
That pretty much settles it if its illegal though.

Cheers guys, good to know either way.

M

adam_92
5th May 2014, 08:07 AM
Nightshades can look ok if done properly just dont go full gloss black like I did once on my old vectra, managed 2/3 days before I got defected and its a pain to remove with thinners etc. Vinyl can be removed a lot easier if needed. Also have a look on ebay for bug eye mesh. A lot of uk guys use this, its almost like a very thin flyscreen mesh but gives a tinted look without being too dark

Elliot_O
5th May 2014, 08:32 AM
Check my thread if you're looking for some NightShade pics, I'm pretty happy with mine, probably did them 18 months ago, never been pulled over. They're starting to just fade back to normal so I was just going to give them another coat or two:)
I'm in QLD, from what I've heard, as long as they are visible from 200m away and the reflector is still able to work, then it should.... Be fine

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk