PDA

View Full Version : Ah sri turbo

andy76
19th March 2014, 06:05 PM
Hi all,

Looking to buy a 2006 sri turbo, apart from reg servicing, timing belt and cosmetic what else should I be looking out for that could bite me in the ass later on. Car has 105,000km on clock.

Cheers.

aznpsuazn
20th March 2014, 01:02 PM
Check the turbo for oil leaks, smoke on startup or under load.

hazrd
20th March 2014, 01:33 PM
also check for excessive play in the gearstick while under load. if you put your foot down in say second gear and you see the gear shifter move significantly, the bearings could be on their way out which can be costly when they go (i think thats right, sooty or nigelh will be able to confirm when they see this thread)

nigelh
20th March 2014, 01:54 PM
It's more on and off load, so on a road test go on and off the throttle check it in all gears but it usually mainly in 1st and 2nd, if the gear lever moves back and forward a fair bit walk away. :) the other thing is gear whine in 5th and 6th

sooty
20th March 2014, 08:17 PM
It's more on and off load, so on a road test go on and off the throttle check it in all gears but it usually mainly in 1st and 2nd, if the gear lever moves back and forward a fair bit walk away. :) the other thing is gear whine in 5th and 6th

What Nigel said :P

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

andy76
21st March 2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone. Will take that into account when checking it out..

GreyRex
29th March 2014, 03:48 PM
From owning one for four years from brand new (AH Turbo) these were my problems:

- Creaking from the rear suspension, which never ever went away - it was where the torsion beam mounted to the car. They replaced the entire bracket and then it came back

- Car going into 'Safety Mode', like it had just had an accident - just randomly the car would decide to turn on the hazard lights and interior lights. Even though the doors would be closed. The only way to prevent the battery from going flat and to stop it all from happening was to disconnect the battery and re-set the entire car. I had to do this multiple times

- Clicking from the front suspension when accelerating normally - I had two CV joints replaced under warranty as the boot split and then something else happened. The car was never once tracked. It was all normal driving

- Very obvious rattle coming from the headlining above the rear view mirror. I ended up having to pull off the plastic cover where the interior lights are and stuffing paper and other stuff in there as you could literally hear it rattle as you drove along

As I said, these were all experiences from owning the car new. Tbh i'd hate to think what these cars are like now, as my ownership experience for the most part was bad. I just kept waiting for the next thing to go wrong...