PDA

View Full Version : coil pack problem

david1064
16th March 2014, 01:21 PM
Hi need help, we brought a 2007 ah astra about 8 months ago with 1.8 xer manual, just after we brought it the coil pack failed,got it repalaced, about 8 weeks later same problem, tok it back and replaced coil pack, about 8 days ago same problem occurred and replaced the coil pack again, this is getting out of hand, my wife is a community aged carer and needs the car as part of her work, it does short and long trips, only has 110, 000klms, is there anything else that could cause the problem, also haved replaced spark plugs when replaced 2nd coil pack, please help

poita
16th March 2014, 01:40 PM
Are they genuine or after market coil packs?

david1064
16th March 2014, 04:58 PM
The first one was genuine, the last 2 have been after market fuel miser brand

poita
16th March 2014, 05:00 PM
That's the issue. After market coil packs are known for being shit. Very unreliable.

Get onto Autovaux in the UK and order one from them. Ring them directly (be prepared for the thick accent) and pay via PayPal or cc over the phone.

Will be heaps cheaper than anywhere in Australia and takes less than a week to arrive.

aznpsuazn
17th March 2014, 12:51 AM
Well it seems the genuine one only lasted 8 weeks as well.

chrissn89
17th March 2014, 11:41 AM

Question is was the Genuine coil pack brand new? If it was it carry's a 12 month 20,000km warranty so would have been replaced for free by Holden.

poita
17th March 2014, 11:50 AM

I'd be getting it replaced under warranty if it was new.

If it was second hand then that's buyer beware imo

MikeCheck
17th March 2014, 12:38 PM
Just out of interest are the ones you get from AutoVaux covered under holden warranty? So if one fails you don't have to ship it back/wait for it to be shipped from the UK.

I wouldn't imagine so but worth checking.

Cheers

M

guy 27
17th March 2014, 01:08 PM
Just out of interest are the ones you get from AutoVaux covered under holden warranty? So if one fails you don't have to ship it back/wait for it to be shipped from the UK.

I wouldn't imagine so but worth checking.

Cheers

M

Parts from overseas need to go back overseas for warranty.

z22se
17th March 2014, 01:10 PM
I had a 2004 astra with the Z22SE 2.2lt engine. I went through 7 coil packs before destroying the motor while in limp home mode driving on the last coilpack.

I used new genuine, SH genuine, after market and all behaved the same. There seems to be an underlying electrical fault with these (no sh!t you might say). The last hint I got before selling mine was that the coil pack was intermittently powered up while ignition was turned off, possibly, I say possibly, from the central locking system somehow.

The reason I suggest this is, is the coil packs only packed up when starting the vehicle after sitting for a period of time while at work. When I unbolted the last coil pack, it was quite hot and rattled like a piece of solder had melted off inside.

This may sound like I'm grasping at straws but I did a lot of testing trying to fault find, it was driving me broke and crazy!

I would really suggest going to an auto electrician and have them run some thorough tests, and overnight before you end up doing more damage like myself.

One coil pack, you can say yes with a high degree of certainty it was most likely within the pack, but more than one, tends to suggest an external cause, voltage spikes, over powered from alternator overcharging, poor earthing etc.

Not long before my coil pack nightmare the alternator went, then later the battery, then both rear tail lights, so look for the warning signs.

Hope this helps.