PDA

View Full Version : New member Melbourne

OldFart
25th February 2014, 11:58 PM
G'day all.

Just introducing myself as a new member. I drive a 2002 TS Astra CDX hatch and I must say it's been the best car I've owned. It's just clocked up 195,000 Km's and has been very reliable so far.

I've always had it serviced at the dealer as I'm more at home working with computers and timber but now I'm starting to do some of the service work myself. My son is very keen on cars and spends a lot of time tinkering with his S13 Silvia project. I think this has rubbed off to me as I'm now looking to do some of my own tinkering. Either that or it's part of my ongoing mid-life crisis :smile5:

I'm OK with the basic stuff (oil change etc) but I'm now venturing into possibly attempting brake pad changes and maybe even rotors. I did notice today while doing the 195,000K service that the rear pads are getting low and will need to be done soon. I do have a workshop manual which is going to come in handy as well.

So....I pretty much joined this forum to gain knowledge about tinkering/servicing and to maybe get to a stage where I can share this knowledge with other "newbies" like myself. I'd like to hang on to my Astra as I really enjoy driving it but also try and keep the $$$ under control by doing some of the stuff myself. You never know, I might just get the bug for custom mods or other fun stuff.

Cheers!

guy 27
26th February 2014, 12:37 AM
Welcome to OA

dutchy
26th February 2014, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Elliot_O
26th February 2014, 11:13 AM
Welcome mate.
You'll find heaps of information, pictures and generously helpful people on here, plus heaps of people to start influencing your potential modifications ideas...

faneca
26th February 2014, 11:41 AM
Welcome a lot mate! Not sure if you know yet, but ordering parts is cheaper from the UK even when shipping is included. So if you ever need something that's a good place to start.

Plenty of help on here so of you ever need anything do a quick search and you should find what y pur after.

If you wanna save money don't look at my ride thread haha.

poita
26th February 2014, 11:47 AM
Welcome to OA mate

sooty
26th February 2014, 03:44 PM
Welcome, pads and rotors are easy, been mentioned how to a few times on here, all you may need is the caliper retracter on the rear calipers (twists and pushes at the same time) i had one, but now have no idea where it is.

Silver Surfer
26th February 2014, 09:40 PM
Welcome:smile5: