PDA

View Full Version : Astra OPC $28K makes me cry

ScottSri
23rd February 2014, 12:56 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/applecross/cars-vans-utes/2013-opel-astra-opc/1039500388

This just shows the value of the opel cars at the moment I seen one for 32k but now its almost half the cars purchase price from new.

adam_92
23rd February 2014, 12:59 PM
2500kms. Practically brand new

eddysdaman
23rd February 2014, 01:04 PM
that's a f*cking joke right? jesus h christ lol

faneca
23rd February 2014, 01:48 PM
With talk of Holden now bringing them in, I would be iinterested to see what happens with their prices...

sooty
23rd February 2014, 04:49 PM
Lol, wow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

poita
23rd February 2014, 06:48 PM
Holy depreciation batman! That's insane, half price in a matter of months

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

adam_92
23rd February 2014, 07:20 PM
With corsa opcs still at 20k, im guessing this wont last long at all

hazrd
23rd February 2014, 07:27 PM
i have no words for this thread

edit: yes i do

:lol: @ "big wheel"
plus who the fk in their right might would swap a brand new mk7 golf for it haha

dutchy
23rd February 2014, 08:14 PM
must be a scammer

Nick965
24th February 2014, 08:45 AM
It is shocking but it does not surprise me. I picked up my new Astra Sports (manual) for $24k shortly after Opel's departure was announced, so I reckon if you bargained hard now there must be some amazing deals to be had.

Read the threads on Whirlpool and you will see just how despised the Opel name is among many automotive enthusiasts. A lot of people had bad experiences with an Astra AH and wouldn't go near one ever again. I think it will take a long time to rehabilitate the Opel name, and their closure confirmed - in many people's minds - that they really are a flaky, untrustworthy brand.

I have noticed that a number of dealers appear to be listing Opels on gumtree but not on carsales, often at considerably lower prices. I wonder whether this is an attempt to off-load their vehicles, without depressing their 'market price' too much.

hazrd
24th February 2014, 12:39 PM
A lot of people had bad experiences with an Astra AH and wouldn't go near one ever again.

How many of them are flogged out or not looked after?
Not sticking up for the brand in any way, I agree that what they have done is a disgrace, but it shouldnt reflect the quality of the vehicle. There are two sides to every story. One being that ive owned 4 opels (two of them, Calibra's :eek: ), and not one of them were problematic to me.

lonewolf1983
24th February 2014, 04:50 PM
most car people hate the TS's too - mainly electrical gremlins.
Touch wood, mines been reliable :)

gravy258
24th February 2014, 05:20 PM
With talk of Holden now bringing them in, I would be interested to see what happens with their prices...

Holden won't be bringing the J in, it'll be the next generation. the J has been around since 2009.

faneca
24th February 2014, 06:31 PM
No there is talk about the current OPC and gtc coming in

chris_r
24th February 2014, 08:56 PM
Wouldn't cost Holden much to get the Astra J on the road, seeing as Opel already had to fork out for the ADR testing and compliance. The OPC possibly gives HSV another model it hasn't had since the Astra H VXR and given the Commodore is on it's way out, HSV need to look to cars like the Astra OPC (or VXR is probably what they'll probably badge it as) to keep going in the performance car market. The GTC gives Holden a three door in the same segment as the Cruze, which is a model the Cruze is lacking. Astra's diesel engines (if they decide to import them) are also far better than the crude unit that powers the Cruze diesel models. The main thing to think about, is that Holden have less than four years to get the right models in place to keep up in the market when the Commodore is gone. And there's no better time than to start than now.

As for the Astra J being around since 2009 (Insignia 2008 and Corsa D 2006), bear in mind that Holden's flagship is currently an update of the VE that came out in 2006, the Cruze (which shares it platform with the Astra J) has been in production since 2008 and the Captiva has been around since 2006. So, apparently when the car initially came out, doesn't really matter.

hazrd
25th February 2014, 07:34 AM
HSV said they would never bring back the VXR when Opel shut their doors. But, this was before Holden announced their departure, so it may force their hand

Nick965
25th February 2014, 02:20 PM
The people I really feel sorry for are those who paid full price for their Opel before the closure was announced. They have been screwed, and I think Opel/Holden owe it to them to do something to compensate them for the destruction of resale value that their abrupt withdrawal from the market has wrought. I'm not sure what, maybe an extended warranty, discounted servicing, etc.

dutchy
25th February 2014, 04:11 PM
The people I really feel sorry for are those who paid full price for their Opel before the closure was announced. They have been screwed, and I think Opel/Holden owe it to them to do something to compensate them for the destruction of resale value that their abrupt withdrawal from the market has wrought. I'm not sure what, maybe an extended warranty, discounted servicing, etc.

I've been down that path with Opel customer centre and there is nothing, nil, nada, niks, zilch they want, can or are willing to do. According to them we must be "happy" that Opel arranged for Holden to take over warranty and service. A few weeks ago I promised myself not to write, think or speak about this topic anymore........ here I am making a comment :( Ah well, just hope that we're being treated fairly and honestly by the Holden dealers (for myself, if I'm not, they can shove that car ..........)

chris_r
25th February 2014, 10:54 PM
I've been down that path with Opel customer centre and there is nothing, nil, nada, niks, zilch they want, can or are willing to do. According to them we must be "happy" that Opel arranged for Holden to take over warranty and service. A few weeks ago I promised myself not to write, think or speak about this topic anymore........ here I am making a comment :( Ah well, just hope that we're being treated fairly and honestly by the Holden dealers (for myself, if I'm not, they can shove that car ..........)

Are you sure you contacted Opel and not Hyundai? Sounds something like their "customer service" would pull.

dutchy
26th February 2014, 09:37 AM
Are you sure you contacted Opel and not Hyundai? Sounds something like their "customer service" would pull.

:lol:

Wraith
26th February 2014, 12:18 PM
This was bound to happen when Opel decided to pull out...

Unfortunate as mentioned above for anyone who payed full price before Opels departure - poor buggers...

On the flip side it's an opportunity for anyone interested in any of the remaining vehicles still available, or any near new ones selling...

kabel
27th February 2014, 05:07 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/applecross/cars-vans-utes/2013-opel-astra-opc/1039500388

This just shows the value of the opel cars at the moment I seen one for 32k but now its almost half the cars purchase price from new.

Was that you I saw on Ocean Reef Road yesterday afternoon heading west ?
Along with the silver Astra GTC with dealer plates you overtook ?

kabel
27th February 2014, 05:22 PM
This was bound to happen when Opel decided to pull out...

Unfortunate as mentioned above for anyone who payed full price before Opels departure - poor buggers...

On the flip side it's an opportunity for anyone interested in any of the remaining vehicles still available, or any near new ones selling...

Do not think this is unique to Opel.
I have seen 12 month old Audi S3`s for sale extremely cheap.
Audi introduced the new model $12,000 cheaper than the one it replaced.

As for problems with cars, nearly everyone I know that has issues never look after them.
They do not check fluids, tyre pressures, service intervals or even wash the cars and thrash them immediately upon start-up.
Reap what you sow !

I have had four Astra`s and my girlfriend has had one. All have been reliable and all have been regularly serviced.

That actually goes for the other brands of cars I own also.
I currently have a mid 70`s V8 being rebuilt, this car has been in the family for 37 years and still has the original bottom end.
The mechanic said he can tell the car has had regular oil changes as everything is really clean inside and the bearings,etc are in good condition. Same goes for the auto transmission.

If you intend on keeping your Opels for a while do not get fixated on the depreciation, just enjoy them !

Bairdy1
28th February 2014, 10:17 AM
Still happy with mine, Sh*ts all over VW in finish and performance.
I lost $35k on my Honda Legend in 5 years.

kabel
28th February 2014, 08:12 PM
Still happy with mine, Sh*ts all over VW in finish and performance.
I lost $35k on my Honda Legend in 5 years.
My boss lost $70k in three years on his Audi S5 Coupe`.....................and then went and bought an Audi A4 ! Go figure.
All relative to income I guess though. :smile5:

chris_r
28th February 2014, 09:27 PM
Do not think this is unique to Opel.
I have seen 12 month old Audi S3`s for sale extremely cheap.
Audi introduced the new model $12,000 cheaper than the one it replaced.

As for problems with cars, nearly everyone I know that has issues never look after them.
They do not check fluids, tyre pressures, service intervals or even wash the cars and thrash them immediately upon start-up.
Reap what you sow !

I have had four Astra`s and my girlfriend has had one. All have been reliable and all have been regularly serviced.

That actually goes for the other brands of cars I own also.
I currently have a mid 70`s V8 being rebuilt, this car has been in the family for 37 years and still has the original bottom end.
The mechanic said he can tell the car has had regular oil changes as everything is really clean inside and the bearings,etc are in good condition. Same goes for the auto transmission.

If you intend on keeping your Opels for a while do not get fixated on the depreciation, just enjoy them !

I paid $33k for my POS van, I'm probably lucky if I'll get $6k for trade in, not to mention in the four years I've owned it since new, it's probably cost me close to $20k in repairs alone. Oh well, write it all off in tax I guess.

As for servicing and maintaining cars, what you said here cannot be drilled into some people's minds enough. I admit, I used to be pretty relaxed in regards to servicing the Hyundai until the big ends went at 68k. Since that, I've been religiously servicing it at every 10k (book says 7.5 or 15k, but I drive metro all day, so I probably do the 10k in about about 2.5 to 3 months) and I was unfortunate enough to suffer a broken oil pump chain 110k later. But at least I'm sure in my mind now that since the first rebuild, I have done everything better than what's in the book and looked after it as best I can and the last failure was down to the fact that there truly are defects in the iLoads that I'm sure Hyundai aren't aware of (or are just not saying anything about them).

But in regards to depreciating Opels, it would probably annoy me spending the money on the car and watch the value drop quickly at first, but having said that, if I were driving an OPC, I'm sure the smile on my face would be worth every cent and I'd be happy to keep the car long enough that depreciation means nothing in the end. And if you want the car enough, you probably forget about the money when you're out on the road in it and having fun. What good is money when you can't take it to the grave and the government is likely to tax it out of you anyway?

mondo
28th February 2014, 10:06 PM
That's right, some cars depreciate badly. Ordered my Mondeo in Dec 09, paid $48k on road. Wasn't delivered till April 10 and just one month later they announced they were ceasing production and started selling for $41k new. 12 months later, $36k new. Car is 4 years old, have just sold it for $18k.

hazrd
1st March 2014, 10:35 AM
All in all Pete, you didn't lose that much on the mondy when you think about it. That was pretty good!

I had a '00 plate VX Berlina (S/C model) that was 40k new, paid 20k in '04 for it, and sold it for 6 in '08. 34k in 8 years isn't too bad in the scheme of things, even for a dunnydore!

As mentioned, as long as the opc makes you happy, that's all that matters :)

cdxi
2nd March 2014, 02:06 PM
I'm actually looking at a new Astra OPC....but it's still advertised at $40K, new.

Better still is the GTC 1.6 with all the fruit, including the adaptive headlights, 20s, satnav etc, for $32K driveaway.

The salesman, bless him, wasn't actually aware of the difference between the OPC and the GTC. He said it was a body kit and larger wheels. Didn't know there was a different engine under the bonnet.

Pity the resale on the GTC would be under $20K five minutes after signing on the dotted line.

ScottSri
3rd March 2014, 06:25 PM
Was that you I saw on Ocean Reef Road yesterday afternoon heading west ?
Along with the silver Astra GTC with dealer plates you overtook ?

Haha I seen the GTC and I was like aw I go a fly by then seen you pull out aswell so I thought il give it full beans. My car was Nice an clean :/

kabel
3rd March 2014, 06:39 PM
Yep, mine was dirty, had been sitting in the long term parking at the airport for three days, black shows everything...Arden Blue is much easier to look after :wink5:

JohnBu
6th March 2014, 10:38 AM
I'm not even looking for a new car, but I'll snap one up at that price (for the KMs it's travelled).

Even though it's no consolation for people who purchased one at retail, I think the 2nd hand market for the OPC will hold up reasonable well. And lastly, all cars depreciate, just enjoy it, or drive it into the ground (what I'm planning to do with the GTI).