PDA

View Full Version : how often do you floor your car?

wolfeey
11th February 2014, 09:36 AM
So I have a 1.8 astra and when I drive I try to keep the rpm below 3k .. Anyway an idiot driver threw a coke bottle at me after cutting me off in a roundabout and I floored my car coz I was annoyed .. What I want to know is how you guys drive your cars ? What revs you guys drive at? How often you floor it? And any damage I will do by doing this every now and again?

dutchy
11th February 2014, 09:46 AM
I always floor it, but sticking to the speed limit obviously.

MikeCheck
11th February 2014, 09:52 AM
I'm not one for flooring it, but I enjoy taking off pretty fast from the lights now and then. Mostly because my exhaust makes the cool little BLURP sound when changing gears if you're giving it a bit of stick.

I don't like doing it often though as: a) I hate being associated with hoons and b) I feel like it'll wear the engine down.

Don't think occasionally giving it the boot will do any damage though.

Cheers

M

Raisin
11th February 2014, 10:12 AM
I do on a semi-regular basis if the situation affords it safely and under the speed limit. So if I'm sitting first in line at a set of lights on a 70-80km/h road I'll usually floor it upto the speed limit. If there are no slow cars that turned in ahead of me. Generally though I drive quite placidly around other cars and just shift when it feels natural for the situation (earlier if the person ahead is pulling off slowly and maybe as late as 4k rpm if they pull off reasonably quickly and create a gap)

As far as damage, I'm sure it will wear things out more rapidly if you regularly drive with your foot planted as the engine will be running at higher RPMs more often. But I think a lot also comes down to maintenance. Driving a car harder than intended and still only changing oil ever 10,000km+ and being late on your services will cause problems. But if you use good oil and parts and do maintenance more regularly you can do a lot for the life of your car. I do honestly think owning a car is a bit like friendships/relationships the more time and care you put into it the better you get treated in response.

rocky424
11th February 2014, 10:25 AM
More often than not I drive the car under 3k rpm. I do watch my mpg. I occasionally floor it after 2k (to minimise wheelspin) and rev to about 5k when permitted (from lights) for 1st and 2nd gears within the speed limit. Sometimes even to redline. If you maintain your car properly it would actually be beneficial to regularly rev your car above 3.5k especially if its been sitting in city traffic prior. This will blow out some build up from idling too much. Think of your car as a body that needs regular exercise (revs), rest and a proper diet (maintanance). :)

MikeCheck
11th February 2014, 10:26 AM
I do on a semi-regular basis if the situation affords it safely and under the speed limit. So if I'm sitting first in line at a set of lights on a 70-80km/h road I'll usually floor it upto the speed limit. If there are no slow cars that turned in ahead of me. Generally though I drive quite placidly around other cars...

This is an excellent quote. Having a good go in your car doesn't meant it has to be unsafe for all or illegal and not enough people (not OpelAus) understand that.

Cheers

M

guy 27
11th February 2014, 10:35 AM
Every chance I get. I usually scare myself once I get to 50kmh and have to pull over until the adrenalin wears off

faneca
11th February 2014, 10:44 AM
I'd say regularly, particularly if I'm at the front of the lights, but it's usually because I don't want anyone near my car so I floor it to 60. I never go more than 10km over because I value my license and know what happens when people drive too fast.

Shadow110
11th February 2014, 10:45 AM
Every chance I get. I usually scare myself once I get to 50kmh and have to pull over until the adrenalin wears off

Thats first gear yeh?

Every chance I get. Keeps the spider webs out of the car.

guy 27
11th February 2014, 11:13 AM
4th gear at those speeds.

hazrd
11th February 2014, 12:08 PM

Unless you're speeding up to 40 in a school zone, in which case you're 'adrenalin' is high from checking other things out, right? :guy:

ChrisMaz
11th February 2014, 12:35 PM
Drive it like I stole it.
However you can still be courteous to the drivers around you even when driving like this. EG not tailgating, cutting people off etc.

Elliot_O
11th February 2014, 12:39 PM
Drive it like I stole it.
However you can still be courteous to the drivers around you even when driving like this. EG not tailgating, cutting people off etc.

What he said^
I drive just under the speed limit almost all of the time, however being smooth and predictable is my aim, minimise the chance of idiots hitting me:D

rocky424
11th February 2014, 12:45 PM
What he said^
I drive just under the speed limit almost all of the time, however being smooth and predictable is my aim, minimise the chance of idiots hitting me:D

Agree. +1

Feelinlucky75
11th February 2014, 01:13 PM
when i had my AH cd 1.8 it copped hell from me all the time... 220k kms and it was still running very well...
only issues i had where due to items that where due to be changed (timing belt and water pump at 180k kms)
Just keep the oil up to it and check it over every now n then :)

Theo
11th February 2014, 04:05 PM
I'd say regularly, particularly if I'm at the front of the lights, but it's usually because I don't want anyone near my car so I floor it to 60. I never go more than 10km over because I value my license and know what happens when people drive too fast.

...especially this morning down Victoria Rd around 6:30am

faneca
11th February 2014, 04:50 PM
...especially this morning down Victoria Rd around 6:30am

Haha did I this morning? I can't even remember, I only had 4 hours sleep last night so I was just trying to focus on driving lol.

DWS 92
11th February 2014, 05:03 PM
I usually floor it at some point every time I drive somewhere, but only when it's warmed up. Redline usually once a week. 'Tis good.

chris_r
11th February 2014, 08:46 PM
I'm a courier. Nuff said.

(I only floor it when the van doesn't crap itself)

Opelicious
12th February 2014, 05:20 AM
I floor it up to very high speeds (on my private race track), but on the road I cop out as I approach the limit. Living life to the speed limit y'all!

Numbnut
12th February 2014, 11:16 AM
I usually floor it at some point every time I drive somewhere, but only when it's warmed up. Redline usually once a week. 'Tis good.

Same. The engine responds better when it's thoroughly warmed and revved. The power on mine is in the top half of the rev range too so the more you give it the more you get :swg:

wolfeey
12th February 2014, 11:23 AM
Yeah I've only floored it a small number of times in the year I've owned the car the last time was out of a roundabout .. I always feel guilty and paranoid I stuffed something up