PDA

View Full Version : Questons before buying SRI Turbo - Your experience needed!

DWBN
7th February 2014, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

In summary, I've been around modded cars most of my life, but always within Subaru. I'm needed to downgrade from my current ride to something smaller and with a bit of poke. I'm not looking for a powerhouse, just something that will lift eyebrows if needed.

I'm interested in the 2006 > Astra Sri turbo, but I'm needing some solid advice as it seems there are virtually no parts available here in Aus, with everything coming from the UK. I've looked online including going through this forum, but can't seem to find a heap of information (my search skills may be the cuprite)

Basic mods that I would be looking at include (with questions):

Reflash
K04 turbo
Rear sway bar
Precat removal
2.5 inch exhaust

From the list above, what expected power output would be realistic at the front wheels?

On the reflash, the EDS IPF system seems to be what everyone is using, but the costs are huge! Is anyone using a UNICHIP or silimar?
Is there an aftermarket direct bolt on available which is cheaper than the units advertised in the UK?
Has anyone in Sydney had an exhaust fitted, and can you provide recommendations?
Lastly, I'm hands on and enjoy doing most work myself, however work and a lack of a driveway make that harder now. Are there any good mechanics in Sydney which you guys can suggest for this model of car?

I've got my eye on a car now, so will be looking to make a purchase very soon. If anyone has the above parts for sale, let me know.

Cheers for your input in advance,
DWBN

kabel
7th February 2014, 04:03 PM
You won`t find anything locally cheaper on the first item.
Ditto for the second item.

Someone will answer in regard to the exhaust as I know a VXR owner who had a custom exhasut done in Sydney.

Welcome by the way !

mickos
7th February 2014, 06:33 PM
Hi mate

Tuning the car EDS IPF is the way unless a custom tune.
Instead of buying a SRI why not buy a VXR with has the K04 turbo as standard.
Rear sway bar white line does them helps handling heaps.
Pre cat pipe buy from courtenay sport then get a custom system made up any exhaust shop can do it.
Mine was done at hi tech mufflers custom stainless steel 2.5".

These cars are very easy to work on

Good luck

Kennedy
9th February 2014, 11:58 AM
Also check for exhaust smoke - These engines are prone to smoking by either valve stem oil seals or the turbo.