PDA

View Full Version : import duty?

caspers turbo
7th February 2014, 07:11 AM
Hi just wondering if anyone knows how import duty works, i have just ordered some stuff from Regal in the UK, to be sent in 2 packages, both are over $1000 pounds so close to 2k in Aus, do the items get delivered to your house when duty applies or do you have to pick them up & pay the duty?

any help would be appreciated

oh and to answer the obvious questions, it's getting new a FMIC from FORGE, the downpipe decat + HJS cat, braided brake lines & the EDS IPF tuner pack

dutchy
7th February 2014, 09:02 AM
You pay import duties and gst on top of that if the value of the goods exceeds AU$ 1000. Shipping or insurance costs are not part of that AU$ 1000 but they must be mentioned separately on the invoice, if not, you'll also have to pay fees over them. You will get a notification from customs clearance through Australia Post or the courier company that was used that they have a parcel and that you have to pay fees. After your payment, shipment is released. Its as simple as that. Import duties can get very expensive so maybe next time, order batches that stay under AU$ 1000 each.

caspers turbo
7th February 2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks Dutchy, i have done some research and it seems that to avoid it would be hard as even just the EDS exceeds the $1000 once you do the exchange rate, even for smaller batches they need to be timed so they arrive in country and get released before the next one arrives, oh well i've placed the order now so just have to pay, works out an extra $735 ish Aus

dutchy
7th February 2014, 09:54 AM
Just the ipf comes in way under AU$ 1000 ,excluding shipping costs, as you do not have to pay VAT (GST). I get many shipments into Australia and sometimes it can't be avoided to pay the duties but in most cases you can avoid them easily. Just depends if the total shipping costs justifies the amount offset by not paying the import duties. On the site of the customs, you can calculate exactly how much you've got to pay. Asking the sender to alter the invoice in order to have a lower value on the goods would be considered fraud. If you got to pay taxes, then you got to pay the taxes but this is forgotten once you have installed the goodies and press that go-pedal for the first time :)