PDA

View Full Version : New member from Vic

Matty1609
28th December 2013, 09:29 PM
Hi all,

New to the forums, just looking to meet some new people, talk some shit, offer some advise and what not, I'm a holden tech at the local dealer in town, anyways enough about myself, the stable of cars I currently have is a 2002 astra-g cd Z18XE 2000 VT clubsport and my misses has 2013 astra-j sport A16LET, and a VT commodore executive, so if anyone requires any information I may be able to assist them, cheers Mat

guy 27
28th December 2013, 10:38 PM
Welcome to oa

legsmatty
28th December 2013, 10:45 PM
Hi Matty. Welcome to the forum!

I'd love to pick your brain actually about my Astra J Sport (auto) that I got brand new a couple of months ago. Hoping you can shed some light on it from the perspective of a Holden tech as well as your wife owning the same car.

I'm really not happy with the transmission, and will be taking it to a Holden dealer in the new year. It's tricky to explain without sounding like I'm rambling, but it shunts & surges, doesn't select an active gear when you need it (most commonly coming out of corners and roundabouts) and just really detracts from what is otherwise an excellent car.

More detail:
- in low to medium speed driving, coming out of corners or roundabouts for example, you get back on the gas but it doesn't have a gear selected. By the time it gives you a gear, you've already built up revs, and it gives you a shunt.
- coming off freeways and coming to a stop at the end of the off ramp, occasionally the 2nd to 1st gear change actually surges you forward.
- slowly moving off from standstill - ie: if you just want to crawl in traffic without hitting the gas - it will shift into first with a shunt - I believe the transmission actually has a function where it always shifts to neutral when stationary. This is particularly problematic in carparks where you're maneuvering in close proximity with other cars and have had a few near misses.
- all of the above combined makes driving smoothly in stop-start traffic (8am monash freeway traffic for example) virtually impossible and in some cases the surging is actually quite dangerous.

I'm hoping it may be a simple case of updating software or something. But I really don't expect a brand new car to be exhibiting this behavior. My 13 year old (ex)magna used to have a better transmission.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Cheers
Matt

Matty1609
28th December 2013, 11:01 PM
Hi matt, thanks for picking my brain straight up! Haha, our astra we brought is manual as we rest drove the auto version and I wasn't impressed with it at all, it feels like a lot of the cruze auto transmissions, (unsure as to if they are the same auto but nearly certain they are) from what your saying is exactly how the one I test drove felt like, I havnt seen any tech info come through, another guy at work also brought one there's being auto, it was doing weird things, but it came good with a week of driving, have you tried disconnecting the battery to see if it looses it's learnt auto memory to reset the TCM?

legsmatty
28th December 2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks for replying. I've been desperate to get any opinions on the issue!

Unfortunately the issue wasn't evident during dest driving (though I didn't test drive the actual car I was buying). I also think it's gotten a bit worse with time (or perhaps I'm just getting more annoyed with it).

I'll try disconnecting the battery and see how I go. This should be a straight forward process yes??

Matt

Matty1609
28th December 2013, 11:19 PM
Yeah disconnect it for a bit, you will just have to reset the clock etc when you reconnect it, see how it goes, if no good take it to your local holden dealer!

legsmatty
28th December 2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks Matty. Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

dutchy
29th December 2013, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the forum Mat

sooty
29th December 2013, 09:33 PM
Welcome to OA

faneca
29th December 2013, 09:49 PM
Welcome along!
legsmatty
Probably easier to open up a new thread in the Astra j section so these posts don't get lost in the intro threads.

PreeCilla
9th January 2014, 10:37 AM
Welcome. My gearbox was a bit jumpy before. I dont know if it was as bad as this but its settled down now. I assumed it was just adaptive?
Also some Astra's may have a start/stop feature. Guys can help you sort out if thats the case..

bpoin007
13th January 2014, 06:55 PM
Welcome to OA