PDA

View Full Version : How bad are wobble bolts?

adam_92
26th November 2013, 04:13 PM
Hey! Looking at wheels for the turbo and the van eventually which are both 5x110. I cant find any nice wheels that I really like in a 110pcd. The closest I can find is either 108 or 112 which I could use wobble bolts. I know some people here hate them but they seem to be very very popular in europe to make merc, bmw, bently etc rims fit the astras/vectras. The turbo doesnt do any track work its basically daily driving with maybe 5 or so spirited drives a year through the hills. Are they really as dangerous as people make out or not?

guy 27
26th November 2013, 05:07 PM
Wouldn't use them on a sprinted drive. For show wheels though no issues at all.

adam_92
26th November 2013, 05:20 PM
Hmm ok. Hard decisions. Whats thebcost of redrilling roughly?

guy 27
26th November 2013, 05:29 PM
Varies depending who does it. Call around and find out.

hazrd
26th November 2013, 07:11 PM
Slightly off topic.... why are you looking at wheels (and exhaust) for a car you're selling? lol

adam_92
26th November 2013, 07:37 PM
Haven't had any serious offers so yeah... may have already bought some more parts for it that were too big of a bargain to miss...

scamp
26th November 2013, 08:14 PM
don't do it !!! they are crap !!! and if you crash and the insurance find them you are screwed !!

mickos
26th November 2013, 09:56 PM
I agree either leave them or get correct PCD, wheels and tyres are the main contact with the road not worth fitting stuff that's not meant to be there

gman
27th November 2013, 04:09 PM
Bad & dangerous. Would not do it.

DRMAT
27th November 2013, 06:41 PM
Had never heard of these before and so had to look them up... omfg how did anyone ever think these were a good idea? They belong on this chart!

http://www.alexholden.net/misc/TracyToolsBoltsBig.png

hazrd
28th November 2013, 08:33 AM
Had never heard of these before and so had to look them up... omfg how did anyone ever think these were a good idea? They belong on this chart!

:lol:
from memory they were initially invented for what guy said, show wheels.

any other purpose is signing your own death warrant (or someone elses on the road for that matter)

Wraith
28th November 2013, 01:35 PM
Wobble bolts fall into the same category as wheel spacers which are also illegal and all the rest of it mentioned in other posts...

Both wobble bolts and wheel spacers are extensively used though despite the above.

If they come from or are made by a reputable company, they actually work ok why they're made in the first place is another matter (I've tried rims with matching wobble bolts from Momo in the past with no issues) they were only a temporary fit, but because of legal issues I wouldn't recommend anyone go for those items on a daily driven vehicle...

Mr & Mrs Vectra
29th November 2013, 12:16 PM

http://www.alexholden.net/misc/TracyToolsBoltsBig.png

Baahahahaaaaaaa.....but those threadless numbers do look like they'll save a lot of time, don't they?

poita
29th November 2013, 12:49 PM
Don't do it.

Also discussed here

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?36804-wobble-bolts&highlight=wobble

and here

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?27343-Wobble-bolts&highlight=wobble

Wraith
5th December 2013, 02:04 PM
Baahahahaaaaaaa.....but those threadless numbers do look like they'll save a lot of time, don't they?

They actually don't look like any of those pictured above...Forgot to mention that earlier

They look like a normal lug but are a 2 piece lug unit with an enlarged hole and separate seating or bushing washer which is the same shape/pattern as the seating end on a standard wheel lug...

The larger hole in the centre of the seating washer allows it to move concentrically and take up the difference in PCD, usually 1mm either way, ie. you can use them on a PCD 110 hub with a PCD 112 or 108 wheel etc.

They're called wobble bolts because the seating washer moves around loosely when off the wheel, there's no actual wobble to their operation when fitted...

I've still got my Momo set - if anyones interested in a close up look as to what they actually look like I can post up pics for info purposes...