PDA

View Full Version : vectra trans slips?

ash1987
1st November 2013, 06:53 PM
Hey all so the vec seems to like slip when I go around a corner an put my foot down. But not in a straight line changes perfect seems like it revs a little high then clunks into gear but as I said only when I go around a corner. If I go slower its fine. Im just wondering em I gonna be up for a new trans soon? Did an trans service not long ago done by an mechanic. Used nulon full synthetic oil an oil level is fine. The vec is an auto 2.2

adam_92
1st November 2013, 07:22 PM
You sure its not just spinning the wheels?

ash1987
1st November 2013, 07:42 PM
Tration control light doesnt come on. Is it common for the trans to go in vectras?

adam_92
1st November 2013, 07:51 PM
Honestly never heard of any issues. If it was the trans going id imagine it would be dodgy all the time. Not just when turning. Id be more inclined to look at worn steering components and knuckles etc.

ash1987
1st November 2013, 07:55 PM
Ok no worries never even thought of checking them

J
4th November 2013, 12:50 PM
Good morning ash1987, and welcome to the forum!

Just looking at your signature, I'd say that as the Vectra is a FWD vehicle (as opposed to RWD in your other cars), you may need to adopt a different (if not opposite!) style when driving it spiritedly.

I am sure plenty of other people here can give you more helpful and accurate advice, but based on my limited understanding, most standard FWD do not respond so well when they are already at their grip limit around a corner and the driver then put their foot down (the accelerator) at the same time, unlike most RWD (and some well balanced AWD) vehicles.

The slipping feeling may actually be the inside front tyre losing grip, and therefore bringing with it a possible surge in revs (and associated increase indicated speed on the speedometer, even though you are not going any faster) if your foot is still on the accelerator. The "clunk into gear" feeling may actually be the front tyre suddenly regaining grip, usually when the steering angle is reduced as the corner straightens out...

If the above happens on a regular basis, I would suggest that the sudden and intense forces the various parts have to take on, will only result in many expensive stuff wearing out prematurely, if not breaking over time. Tyres wearing on one side. Wheel alignment. Suspension. CV joints. Driveshaft. Diff. Gearbox...

My personal tip? Without traction control or ESP, try to adopt a smoother and more fluid driving style and balancing the car on less throttle (if any), if you want to carry good speed/momentum in a standard FWD around a corner. It will be better for you, your car, and your wallet!

ash1987
4th November 2013, 01:01 PM
Good morning ash1987, and welcome to the forum!

Just looking at your signature, I'd say that as the Vectra is a FWD vehicle (as opposed to RWD in your other cars), you may need to adopt a different (if not opposite!) style when driving it spiritedly.

I am sure plenty of other people here can give you more helpful and accurate advice, but based on my limited understanding, most standard FWD do not respond so well when they are already at their grip limit around a corner and the driver then put their foot down (the accelerator) at the same time, unlike most RWD (and some well balanced AWD) vehicles.

The slipping feeling may actually be the inside front tyre losing grip, and therefore bringing with it a possible surge in revs (and associated increase indicated speed on the speedometer, even though you are not going any faster) if your foot is still on the accelerator. The "clunk into gear" feeling may actually be the front tyre suddenly regaining grip, usually when the steering angle is reduced as the corner straightens out...

If the above happens on a regular basis, I would suggest that the sudden and intense forces the various parts have to take on, will only result in many expensive stuff wearing out prematurely, if not breaking over time. Tyres wearing on one side. Wheel alignment. Suspension. CV joints. Driveshaft. Diff. Gearbox...

My personal tip? Without traction control or ESP, try to adopt a smoother and more fluid driving style and balancing the car on less throttle (if any), if you want to carry good speed/momentum in a standard FWD around a corner. It will be better for you, your car, and your wallet!

Yeah its only when I have to take a short break in traffic when taking a corner other than that lm not so heavy on the accelerator (saving petrol). Thanks for ur advice.