PDA

View Full Version : replacement tyres, pls advice

chenga
16th February 2004, 11:57 PM
looking for a set (4) of 205/50R16 tyres, currently looking at premium product to replace my crap goodyear ventura.

tyres i'm considering:

Toyo T1-S - $190 - apparently this doesn't wear well at all.
Yokohama AVS ES100 - $195
& various dunlops and Falkens.

i'm sure i can beat those prices if i look harder, but anyway i'm prepared to sepnd that kind of $ to secure a decent set of rubber.

any advice would be nice~

SmellyTofu
17th February 2004, 02:30 AM
Check out the good deals thread. I did called up one place for a quote on Falken Azenis semi slick and the street version.. it came up around that $190 or so mark too.

rjastra
17th February 2004, 07:48 AM
I picked up some new Michelin Precedas for around $200 mark.
These are better than the standard Pilot HXs that were fitted to the SRI as as standard. Grip better in the dry and wet and are much quieter.

Anonymous
17th February 2004, 08:51 AM
Hey rjastra, where did you pick up the michelin from? 200 seems to be alright. The price i got quoted a while ago was 235 for 205/50/16.. but that was over 6 months ago.

Chenga, my friend got the yoko AVS ES100 a while ago and didn't like them. He said they were noisy and the grip was not that nice. Previously he had A539 and reckon they were better value for money.

chenga
17th February 2004, 03:42 PM
i ruled out Michelin preceda coz i thought it would be too pricey, now if it's around $200 i might well get them. Wheels actually ran a tyre test last year & had preceda on top, ahead of T1-S, A539, S-03 and FM901, n certain goodyear.

On the other hand, if i can't find a good deal around, i might just get A539 coz they're pretty cheap at around $170 a corner and i've heard quite a few good things about them.

Anonymous
17th February 2004, 03:46 PM
I recommend Falken Azenis RT215, But they do wear quick but the grip is some what classed as super glued to the Road. Azenis are Priced Reasonably as well, $190-$210(If ya know Some One).

chenga
17th February 2004, 05:01 PM
best price so far for precedas 205/50R16: $219 from, amazingly, Bob Jane Edgecliff.

i'd love to have grippy tyres, but i dun think i need "superglue" stuffs like semi slick ST215, especially considering the wear factor.

anyone wif any experience of ST115?

Anonymous
17th February 2004, 05:04 PM
The ST115 is still a Good All Rounder, Better for Road use and wet Weather.
I had them on my Gemini and they lasted as long as I didn't give it full Boost. :lol:

PRC33Y
17th February 2004, 07:30 PM
If you want sweet tyres... get Pirelli P Zero Neros......you will basically be travelling on rubber bands though. Got a price a while ago at $330 per rubber band.

Cheers

Anonymous
17th February 2004, 07:41 PM
I've Never used Pirelli P Zero, But the rest of Pirelli Range is Overated and Over Priced for what they are.
Pirelli P5000 to hard and wont grip even if they're ran lower Psi than Recommended
P6000 to soft and just Tear chunks and the blow out the side walls

The worst tyres Ever:
Nankang(Falken Ziex Z501 Copy). Out of Round and Blow Side walls
Goodyear Eagle GSDII. Good for Burnouts if ya want a Tyre that last 10 mins worth of Smoke.
And the WORST Firestone(Indy Pattern) They're just Shit.

Anonymous
17th February 2004, 08:10 PM
Anyone have any thots on the Bridgestone GIII s? I was thinking about using them for the next set...maybe 4-6mths away

PRC33Y
17th February 2004, 10:19 PM
I currently have the Bridgestone GIII Potenza's R16/205's. They are nice and stick well, My car corners so smoothly (thanks to the Sports Suspension and Lowering) i dont think they warrant a $200 price tag each though.

PRC33Y
17th February 2004, 10:23 PM
P6000 to soft and just Tear chunks and the blow out the side walls

That is so true. I used to have a set of Pirelli P3000 on my Hyundai Excel. I sold it to a work collegue (now it has totally crapped itself due to the fact that he hammers it like it has a sequential shift gear box.) But after he had it one of the tyre side wall had a massive bubble and needed to be replaced.

Gary
17th February 2004, 10:35 PM
I have had a set of Potenza GIIIs (205/45R17) for over 12 months. i am quite happy with them. Better grip than the first set of Falkens that i had and much less road noise. I've put on about 35,000ks in the process, and there is still plenty of tread left.

Anonymous
18th February 2004, 12:14 AM
hey prc33y, when did you get the G3s? I got mine 6 months ago and they were 185 each.. 205/50/16 without bargaining at all. I got them from bridgestone shops though.

G3s are not bad, the sidewall felt just right, not too soft and not too firm, though they were not as talkative in the steering compare with the pilot hx i had on the car before. They do wear fairly quick... I think mine is going to last only 20k, half of the ks was with konis.

rjastra
18th February 2004, 12:45 PM
I got the tyres at Tempe Tyres :shock:

The other tyre to look is the latest version of the Goodyear F1 (GSD3??)

The real clincher for the Precedas is that they do everything well and are very very quiet. Something the japanese manufacturers can't seem to get right.

tmov81
18th February 2004, 01:31 PM
hey all, still on tires... but standard cally ones...

Anyone know of a decent price/tire in either 205/55R15 or 235/50/R15? im running intermediates at the moment (they have 1mm tread in the middle and are feathered to the bs on the edges)

chenga
18th February 2004, 03:47 PM
i got an even $200 for the Precedas from Bob-Jane Hornsby, but, wait for it, they said Michelin has run out of stock Australia-wide....but he reckon the price wouldn't change much if i can wait for the next shipment which will be 6-7wks...

i just think it sounded a bit dodgy...he might be trying to convince me of his good price, then luring me into other brands which he has stock availble....

i'm getting some prices on Falken ST115 but as i mentioned be4, i might just settle on A539 and save money and hassle if i can't get a straight good deal on the Precedas....

Degen-Astra
18th February 2004, 06:25 PM
I got myself a set of A539's about 5 months ago and they do me real well. I was recommended to steer clear of the Bridgy Protenza GIII's compared to the A539's due to the road noise.

The road noise is pretty quiet with the Yoko's and hold nicely on corners...

If i could have a Japanese bride my Yoko's would be it! :twisted: Ha!

Skibum
28th February 2004, 04:58 PM
I was able to get the Michelin Precedas at Wheels at Rockdale in Sydney for $210.00 each. Great Tyres !!!

NUTTTR
3rd March 2004, 11:13 PM
Depends on what you REALLY what, quite a few tyres that are very good in the dry, aren't that excellent in the wet... I've got A539's on my volvo and a few friends used them in teh past, while they are quite good in the dry, they really aren't that great in the wet, in fact, they are bad in the wet... I run stock P6000's that came with the SRi and they are the best wet weather tyre i've used ever, i've never had so much grip in the wet, although the tyres do wear fastish (10000k's and the front is 50% worn) but i attribute that to driving style mostly....

A friend run's some Toyo's (semi slicks- he does use them on race tracks too) and they grip like nothing else, quite noisy tho, and 8000k's if you are lucky the whole set is totally bald... so not the best investment. Faulken's i've used in the past seem ok, but in the wet, they don't sort of slip and then let loose, they just let loose and you're stuffed if your understeering towards a large concrete gutter... They are "usually" pretty noisy too and tend to tramline!
I haven't used any of the other tyres listed, but ultimately, the better the tyre the more fun you get to have before sliding... However, they will always wear fast if you drive quick, drive slow and even a soft set will last you quite a while
Aaron

Anonymous
3rd March 2004, 11:21 PM
Personally, i stick with Yoki's (cept i have a pair of retreads temporarily on the back - money issue).

Have Yoki A539's on the front, and i love the way they feel. Handle really well and we well priced.

chenga
8th March 2004, 03:59 AM
update on tyre replacement:

a bit tight on $ after my very brief trip to Hong Kong and the resulting (inevitable) shopping spree...

was thinking of visiting hong kong's Opel dealer to pick up some nice astra accessories but was told they have stop selling Astra (probably until the next model arrives) and any fancy stuffs would need to be ordered by Germany...

anyway, no new tyres for the moment...now just need to take it easy on the goodyears and WORK HARD $$$$$