PDA

View Full Version : OPC Astra J new Perth member

buchmueller
16th September 2013, 03:26 PM
Just had my Arden Blue for couple of months. Awesome and shut some doubters up about front drivers being poor handlers. Took it out Thursday night around Barbagallo in the wet. Not too bad for Rookie. Good to find an Opel forum.

rocky424
16th September 2013, 03:36 PM
Welcome mate! That is a great car.. glad you are enjoying it

dutchy
16th September 2013, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

buchmueller
16th September 2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks. Future plans RSS springs, K&N filter and EDS IPF tune. Be

guy 27
16th September 2013, 03:57 PM
Welcome to oa

faneca
16th September 2013, 04:30 PM
Welcome along mate! OPC are going lite hotcakes over there.

kabel
16th September 2013, 04:56 PM
Welcome aboard.

nigelh
16th September 2013, 06:08 PM
Welcome aboard, I was asking Scott who was the other Opel Astra up there on Thursday. Can you make it to the German car day on Sunday?

buchmueller
16th September 2013, 06:44 PM
Keen. Tell me more.

buchmueller
16th September 2013, 06:55 PM
Just looked it up. Sounds good, I'll give Chris a call. Cheers, hope it's ok weather.

ChrisMaz
16th September 2013, 10:32 PM
Welcome along mate.

Think I spotted you a few months back Parked on Morley drive.

ScottSri
16th September 2013, 10:33 PM
Hay mate good to see you made it on to OA.

I see a few of your laps first and last turn only from pits, car holds soo well and looked really smooth mate.

Hope to see you out there again mate and probs on the weekend at GCD aswell

buchmueller
16th September 2013, 10:40 PM
Opc performed well. Should see ya Sunday and the next No-limits track meet. Will chat to you about getting in touch with Regal UK for mods.

cunnie10
21st September 2013, 11:12 AM
im not going lads, this crappy secret location thing is rubbish

ChrisMaz
22nd September 2013, 02:01 PM
Same man. Its up at yanchep on a rainy day, who the hell is going to be around to look at the cars.

t20569cald
1st October 2013, 07:00 PM
Opc performed well. Should see ya Sunday and the next No-limits track meet. Will chat to you about getting in touch with Regal UK for mods.
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy175/t20569cald/20130807_102915_zps62a103a7.jpg

I bought this one recently. I shortened the gear shift by 50% or so with this http://www.mathijssentechnics.nl/indexx.php?View=page&part_id=170048&hid=1166&lhid=&lvid=&mid=86
And I did get the Bluefin stage 1 tune, which is subtle with approx 20bhp extra and 60nm torque which is what I wanted out of it.
In all, I love this car, but not a fan of the gearbox. The seats are what sold me on it really, as I was also looking at the Renault RS 265 and it was under spec for the price in terms of interior.
I want to get this on the track to see how it goes when I have some time, before I do my license.

ScottSri
1st October 2013, 07:46 PM

I don't think I will be at the next No limits track night because I think il be up north working at the time :( might roster hasn't got a confirmed dates yet so I will have to see

buchmueller
1st October 2013, 11:55 PM
Cool looks gd in black. Dark tint too. 10k off what I paid. Damn!! Your luck. Keen to tune. Does it rev freely to redline ?unlike stock which runs out of puff by 5500 or so. I was told the EDS IPF tune does, and was thinking of doing this..

t20569cald
2nd October 2013, 12:27 AM
Cool looks gd in black. Dark tint too. 10k off what I paid. Damn!! Your luck. Keen to tune. Does it rev freely to redline ?unlike stock which runs out of puff by 5500 or so. I was told the EDS IPF tune does, and was thinking of doing this..

on the bluefin stage 1 tune, it seems to me to add a decent punch from 2500 through to 5000, other than that it seems the same.
according to their graph it is not, and pulls cleanly all the way, but real world i am changing up about 1000 rpm before redline for the same reason you mention.
I am happy with the tune though, and the OPC button seems to do something now other than turn the instruments red

buchmueller
2nd October 2013, 12:35 AM
Good torque gain, but after some more worthwhile revs too, so next gear selected is a little higher in rev band= less lag on shifts and a bit meaner note up high. Gotta be better than stock though, which is good. Do you run a boost gauge or know what extra is added?

t20569cald
2nd October 2013, 12:48 AM
Good torque gain, but after some more worthwhile revs too, so next gear selected is a little higher in rev band= less lag on shifts and a bit meaner note up high. Gotta be better than stock though, which is good. Do you run a boost gauge or know what extra is added?

Torque was what I was chasing, to get rid of what I consider serious turbo lag in this car. It did not quite work as I hoped, the lag is still there, but there is a noticeable gain, nothing in your face, but it is there.
I have no way of knowing what the change is, other than it can be felt. I have not had it on the dyno, and I doubt I will at this point. The short shifter helps a lot though, well worth it.
Personally, I would have paid 30k more for this car, if they used the AWD system on it, gave it another 100kw and a double clutch trans with paddle shift.

My next thing will be to look at the exhaust system, but need to research the benefits of doing it from the CAT back, as I do not want to lose the electronics and do not want to waste money either. Going to change to air filter, for a K&N one, and look at the gains that can be made from the turbo system, such as the intercooloer, waste gate etc.
I am really wanting to be able to get the best out of whats there, rather than pimp it out. 206kw out to 226kw would be fine, and if the turbo would come in at 1900rpm or so, then that would make my day.

buchmueller
2nd October 2013, 01:01 AM
Thanks for that. I'll be doing similar. Will also be changing the downpipe from turbo to a decat version. You should consider that as cheap, reversible if needed and reduces back pressure on turbine ( less heat and lag) especially since yours under more strain. Cheers.

t20569cald
2nd October 2013, 01:12 AM
Thanks for that. I'll be doing similar. Will also be changing the downpipe from turbo to a decat version. You should consider that as cheap, reversible if needed and reduces back pressure on turbine ( less heat and lag) especially since yours under more strain. Cheers.

Is yours the low k demo from Burswood? I am looking at a few options for exhaust, including a full system from M-Tech, which is a decent price

buchmueller
2nd October 2013, 01:27 AM
Brand new from them mid July. Done 4500 kms now. Hey, how hard to fit short shifter. Seen video, how hard for you?

t20569cald
2nd October 2013, 01:45 AM
Brand new from them mid July. Done 4500 kms now. Hey, how hard to fit short shifter. Seen video, how hard for you?

10 mins is bullshit! The battery needs to come out, as does most of the battery box. Retaining clips felt like they would break off, but when I forced it, it all went ok.
Main nut on the shifter is on with loctite, so took some effort. A little heat would sort that if you have the same issue. Odd size nut, 15mm or 19mm from memory, either way I had to buy a single socket for it, as I did not have it.
Worth doing yourself though, and budget 1 hour for the job. More than worth it.
Shift still notchy, but that 1st to 2nd shift is sorted far more than standard, as are the rest. Cheap fix in the end, but not 100% perfect, though doubt anything would be.
In all, I recommend it, and I would buy it again after trying it out. Would be really 40% maybe, shorter.

Your actually just down the road from me. I have a place in Champion Lakes, and would be happy to meet up to show you the shifter for yourself.

dutchy
2nd October 2013, 08:02 AM
short shifter was a 10 minute job mate. No need to take the battery out at all. I used a very long extension on the socket to get the nut off and then a small puller in my case to pull the original one off. New one pushed on and tightened the nut.

t20569cald
2nd October 2013, 10:11 AM
short shifter was a 10 minute job mate. No need to take the battery out at all. I used a very long extension on the socket to get the nut off and then a small puller in my case to pull the original one off. New one pushed on and tightened the nut.

I read your post on that actually. I looked at it, tried to get my hands in there, but was not working for me. Mine was also on so tight, that I would never have been able to do it even with a little more access.

nigelh
2nd October 2013, 12:54 PM
The J opc is the easiest of the lot to fit. The biggest improvement with the shifter I think is the more positive feel it gives.

I'm looking into a different tune for mine more suited to P100 or maybe even E85.

ChrisMaz
2nd October 2013, 11:48 PM
10 mins is bullshit! The battery needs to come out, as does most of the battery box. Retaining clips felt like they would break off, but when I forced it, it all went ok.
Main nut on the shifter is on with loctite, so took some effort. A little heat would sort that if you have the same issue. Odd size nut, 15mm or 19mm from memory, either way I had to buy a single socket for it, as I did not have it.
Worth doing yourself though, and budget 1 hour for the job. More than worth it.
Shift still notchy, but that 1st to 2nd shift is sorted far more than standard, as are the rest. Cheap fix in the end, but not 100% perfect, though doubt anything would be.
In all, I recommend it, and I would buy it again after trying it out. Would be really 40% maybe, shorter.

Your actually just down the road from me. I have a place in Champion Lakes, and would be happy to meet up to show you the shifter for yourself.

Watched nigel put two in. Bullshit only because it took him 10 minutes to put the two in.... So five minutes each.

buchmueller
3rd October 2013, 12:00 AM
Doesn't sound like huge issue then and worth fitting. Have to get my finger out and place some orders for things like this and other bits. Thanks for all your inputs.

t20569cald
3rd October 2013, 12:02 AM
The J opc is the easiest of the lot to fit. The biggest improvement with the shifter I think is the more positive feel it gives.

I'm looking into a different tune for mine more suited to P100 or maybe even E85.

I agree it is far more positive, and worth the money. I would prefer it even shorter myself, but overall I am happy.
I find with the extra 20 odd bhp I get a little more wheel spin, but still not an issue, and I am not sure how much more I would like to give a front drive car.
I will end up with another 20bhp or so from some future mods, and I hope it retains the user friendly back road power it currently has

t20569cald
3rd October 2013, 12:04 AM
Doesn't sound like huge issue then and worth fitting. Have to get my finger out and place some orders for things like this and other bits. Thanks for all your inputs.

even if it takes you an hour, still worth it. 5 mins, 10 mins, or half a day, makes no real difference to the end result, and that is 40-50% less throw.
I can show you mine tomorrow if you like, and you can try the box for yourself.

buchmueller
3rd October 2013, 12:14 AM
That'd be good, but you'll have to pm me somehow to meetup as busy after work tomorrow.

dutchy
3rd October 2013, 09:14 AM
I would prefer it even shorter myself,

They cant make it any shorter than that.

t20569cald
3rd October 2013, 11:38 AM
They cant make it any shorter than that.

Any opinion on their exhaust? Approx 1200 Euro which seems reasonable. A lot cheaper than the UK tuning company I found, and no one here makes them that I am aware of.
It is the next thing I am looking at.

nigelh
3rd October 2013, 12:57 PM
Any opinion on their exhaust? Approx 1200 Euro which seems reasonable. A lot cheaper than the UK tuning company I found, and no one here makes them that I am aware of.
It is the next thing I am looking at.

Demon tweeks have miltek and scorpion cat back systems at a good price. If I had some spare cash I would get the miltek.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/exhaust-systems/car/vauxhall/astra-mk6-vxr/2013/2-0t

dutchy
3rd October 2013, 01:16 PM
Why wouldnt you be able to get an exhaust made for AU$ 1900 ? Mine was a full stainless for under that price. Note you'd be up for some serious shipping costs and import duties if you import that from overseas.

t20569cald
3rd October 2013, 02:25 PM
Demon tweeks have miltek and scorpion cat back systems at a good price. If I had some spare cash I would get the miltek.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/exhaust-systems/car/vauxhall/astra-mk6-vxr/2013/2-0t

Thanks, I will check this out

t20569cald
3rd October 2013, 02:31 PM
Why wouldnt you be able to get an exhaust made for AU$ 1900 ? Mine was a full stainless for under that price. Note you'd be up for some serious shipping costs and import duties if you import that from overseas.

Duties are not bad, and that Miltek one comes in at around the threshold. A little deal would see that GST free.
Sunshine Coast is a nice place, been there many times, and so much cheaper than this place.
I would certainly get a few quotes here before I did anything, but the fact is they would have to do a lot of work, where as the website above and M-Tech etc, have multiple cars to fit, spreading the development cost.
I have admittedly not priced one here yet, but I have other non car related machining work, that I had to go to Germany to get, as Australia is just too expensive.
I will offer the work though, to a local business if they can come under the landed cost of a foreign one, and should I be successful I will certainly share it with the forum.

kabel
3rd October 2013, 04:25 PM
Sounds like you need to be doing some more work for the Perth Opelaus members so that you can use the "Shopping money" on your OPC !

dutchy
4th October 2013, 10:31 AM
that' still near 700 pounds - 1200 dollars, not under the threshold, excluding shipping. Had mine made at a company near Brisbane, 3 inch full system front to back stainless, custom made (no cat back). If I remember well, I paid 1400 or so.

buchmueller
4th October 2013, 09:59 PM
My last ride was blown VZ R8 Maloo, got Dom @ Prestige Exhaust in Malaga WA to make a twin 3inch with Varex mufflers at good price. When I go full exhaust, he'll get the nod. In stainless a must.

buchmueller
5th August 2014, 11:44 PM
Ordered RSS springs, RSS decat downpipe and Pagid 4-2 pads from Regal. Then order Bluefin stage 2 tune. I'll post some before and after pics when done.

nigelh
6th August 2014, 08:25 AM
If you still have time to get it in the order I would recommend getting the sealing ring for between the turbo and decat pipe.