PDA

View Full Version : Help! Astra AH, alternator/AC belt adjustment

Wildwild
15th September 2013, 06:04 PM
Hi all,

Could someone tell me how to adjust the alternator belt tension as it is a bit loose? Do I need to loosen the the "star" bolt on the belt tensioner first, and use some sort of lever to put some tension on the belt and re-tighten the star bolt at the same time? This sounds a bit award if this is the case.

Cheers.

guy 27
15th September 2013, 06:28 PM
tensioner is spring loaded. it is self adjusting.
if you remove the tension off it and drop the belt you will see that it moves further back when released.

if its not putting enough tension on you will need to replace the complete unit

Wildwild
15th September 2013, 09:27 PM
tensioner is spring loaded. it is self adjusting.
if you remove the tension off it and drop the belt you will see that it moves further back when released.

if its not putting enough tension on you will need to replace the complete unit

Thanks for your reply.

I did not know that. It felt a bit soft when I pushed on the belt not knowing that it was self adjusting. I will check to see if the tensioner moves back when I push on the belt. I have ordered a new belt already. It was squealing a little bit when cold.

Cheers.

jase81
18th September 2013, 02:52 AM
Go to coventrys for a replacement genuine belt not a dealer as the dealer price is about $15 more for a genuine belt

If your doing it yourself its easier to release the tension from the rear of the engine it is a 19mm socket or ring spanner required.

Wildwild
18th September 2013, 08:03 AM
Go to coventrys for a replacement genuine belt not a dealer as the dealer price is about $15 more for a genuine belt

If your doing it yourself its easier to release the tension from the rear of the engine it is a 19mm socket or ring spanner required.

Thanks for your reply,

The Haynes manual suggests to use a ring spanner to release the tension and use a pin to lock it in place on the AH. It all makes sense now when I realised the tensioner is spring loaded.

Cheers,

:) :)