PDA

View Full Version : Holden Barina Turbo to hit Australian Shores

hazrd
7th September 2013, 03:29 PM
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/sports/holden/barina/holden-barina-turbo-here-38702

GM Holden is ready to take on Ford’s new Fiesta ST with a turbocharged Barina hot hatch that will go on sale in November.

Motoring.com.au spotted the first shipment of new Barina Turbo models arriving at Holden’s Melbourne HQ today, and our sources have confirmed a local launch is just two months away.

The Barina Turbo will be a direct competitor for hot light-size hatchbacks like Ford’s new Fiesta ST, which was launched here last week priced from just $25,990, as well as Peugeot’s almost-as-new 208 GTi (from $29,990), Skoda’s Fabia RS and Volkswagen’s benchmark Polo GTI (both from $27,990).

Unlike all those turbocharged front-wheel drive models, however, the Korean-built Barina Turbo will benefit from local chassis tuning by Australian engineers at Holden, which is believed to have undertaken significant, ride, handling and steering upgrades.

First revealed as the Chevrolet Sonic Z Spec concept at the 2011 Detroit motor show and then in production form a year later, the Barina Turbo has been available since late last year in North America, where it’s known as the Chevrolet Sonic RS.

Australia’s version should be almost identical, apart from the grille, badges and the local tuning program, which is now a key part of the introduction of all imported Holden models, starting with last year’s updated Barina Spark and Barina CDX, and this year’s facelifted Cruze, new Trax compact crossover and new Malibu medium sedan.

The Barina Turbo is powered by the same 103kW/200Nm 1.4-litre Ecotec turbo-petrol engine seen in the larger and heavier Cruze and should therefore provide ample performance.

However, it’s not in the same league as the Fiesta ST, the 1.6-litre EcoBoost turbo-petrol four in which produces 132kW/240Nm as standard – and 149kW/290Nm in overboost mode.

But while three-door manual-only availability makes the Fiesta ST (and 208 GTi) a purist’s hot hatch, the five-door Barina Turbo is expected to be offered with both six-speed manual and automatic transmissions – unlike the 132kW/250Nm 1.4 turbo Polo GTI, which is a seven-speed dual-clutch DSG-only proposition with three and five doors.

The Barina Turbo’s closest rival, therefore, is probably Suzuki’s five-door Swift Sport, which comes with a 100kW/160Nm 1.6-litre non-turbo four-cylinder engine matched with manual and CVT transmissions, priced from $23,990.

Like the 1.6-litre naturally aspirated Barina CDX flagship hatch (from $20,490), the Turbo will come with GM’s MyLink voice-activated infotainment system as standard, enabling navigation directions downloaded through a smartphone to be shown on the car’s touch-screen and personalised connectivity of Pandora and Stitcher internet radio apps.

Differentiating the hottest Barina from mainstream models cosmetically will be a more aggressive front bumper with fresh foglight designs and a specific grille, a similarly amped-up rear bumper with lower black mesh insert and chromed twin exhaust outlets, a rear spoiler, different side skirts, unique mirror caps and Turbo badging.

Outside the engine bay, mechanical changes will include specific 17-inch alloy wheels, a lower ride height, firmer suspension, sports-tuned dampers, retuned sports exhaust system and shorter final drive ratio.

Inside, Barina Turbo buyers will score new front sports seats, a flat-bottom sports steering wheel with thicker rim, a different gearshifter (in manual models), aluminium pedals, specific instrument cluster graphics and special trim colours for the dash and door inserts.

bpoin007
7th September 2013, 05:40 PM
Should be interesting, they should step it up and bring it out in a 2.0ltr

poita
7th September 2013, 06:10 PM
Still looks like a hat full of assholes

hazrd
7th September 2013, 06:40 PM
DJM83 had a few comments over facey:

Looks like a dog chewing a wasp, a dropped pie, a sucked mango :rofl1:

Theo
7th September 2013, 06:42 PM
Rather go for run-out OPC Corsa for $26k.

Shaun
7th September 2013, 06:51 PM
There kills the Corsa being added to the Holden line up . Interesting to see Holden have released this but with less power then it's rivals in the market . Cheap Luke warm hatch though

chris_r
7th September 2013, 07:14 PM
So, Holden now thinks polishing the turd that has been the Daewoo-built Barina is going to win buyers over. It's not like they don't have access to a 1.6 turbo either.

Maybe the fact it's only a 1.4 opens the door for HSV to use the 1.6 in a further up-spec model. Given that Commodore production is supposed to wind up in 2016, HSV would need to look at options of what product to sell. I wouldn't be surprised that since they have no intentions of using Opel OPC models in their range, that they would rice up the imported Korean models that Holden have now. As a result, given that Astra and Cruze are on the same platform, I wouldn't be surprised that we might also end up with a Cruze with Astra J OPC running gear.

Shortstuff
7th September 2013, 08:37 PM
While the new Barina isn't much to look at, and has an interior made of recycled plastic bags, it actually handles like a Gokart.

I agree they should have put the A16NET in it, but I'm pretty sure it could be a lot of fun with a bit of tweaking. Walkinshaw did manage to get 180kw out of the A14NET in the Cruze!

Silver Surfer
7th September 2013, 08:56 PM
I dont mind the look
The fiesta st is far more appealing for those who dont need 5drs

ChrisMaz
7th September 2013, 09:48 PM
I was expecting to click this thread and see that Holden were going to import the Corsa OPC as a barina....
So much disappoint.

hazrd
7th September 2013, 09:50 PM
Would have been far better quality than this thing

poita
7th September 2013, 09:50 PM
I was expecting to click this thread and see that Holden were going to import the Corsa OPC as a barina....
So much disappoint.

My initial thoughts too

ChrisMaz
7th September 2013, 09:53 PM
Although they'll probably sell a tonne of them, which as a brand will more than likely mean they'll be around longer than Opel Europe..... Those guys are in some serious shit.

lonewolf1983
8th September 2013, 01:18 AM
I agree they should have put the A16NET in it, but I'm pretty sure it could be a lot of fun with a bit of tweaking. Walkinshaw did manage to get 180kw out of the A14NET in the Cruze!

and apparently it was a bucket of poo to drive at that power level!

chris_r
8th September 2013, 01:24 AM
So much disappoint.

If only. I believe my now 12 year old Corsa C has better build quality than the current TM Barina. My sister-in-law had a TK model and it was terrible, like my mother's Viva (aka the flying ashtray, due to my parents' smoking habits). I haven't had much to do with the TM model, but if it's predecessor is anything to go by, there's a s**tload of room for improvement. But given this turbo model has existed since the launch of this model, it makes you wonder why they've only released it now.

funsri
8th September 2013, 02:02 AM
Seems like a lot of effort to go to for a Daewoo... When GM already has acces to the Corsa VXR/OPC...

Theo
8th September 2013, 03:36 PM
So, Holden now thinks polishing the turd that has been the Daewoo-built Barina is going to win buyers over. It's not like they don't have access to a 1.6 turbo either.

Maybe the fact it's only a 1.4 opens the door for HSV to use the 1.6 in a further up-spec model. Given that Commodore production is supposed to wind up in 2016, HSV would need to look at options of what product to sell. I wouldn't be surprised that since they have no intentions of using Opel OPC models in their range, that they would rice up the imported Korean models that Holden have now. As a result, given that Astra and Cruze are on the same platform, I wouldn't be surprised that we might also end up with a Cruze with Astra J OPC running gear.

KSV - Korean Special Vehicles

rjastra
8th September 2013, 08:14 PM
The Corsa is not federalised for the North American market and the OPC Corsa is manual only.

The Sonic RS (Aka Barina) was developed for the US market and arrived after the rest of the Sonic range was released. And the Chev Sonic is built in the USA.

chris_r
8th September 2013, 09:33 PM
The Sonic RS (Aka Barina) was developed for the US market and arrived after the rest of the Sonic range was released. And the Chev Sonic is built in the USA.

Maybe so, but our models will be sourced from Korea. Yanks only build their own to keep the unions happy, because they go ape if one company imports more than a certain number of cars in a year, plus they have the production capability and the demand to build all sorts of cars. Believe it or not, most of the development for the TM Barina happened in Melbourne, probably as a result of GMH being GM's official stakeholder in Daewoo. The original concept for this model also featured the A14NET and six speed manual gearbox, so it was never intended to be a US-only proposition. It was just Holden dragging their feet as they always do with this kind of thing.

kabel
9th September 2013, 02:59 PM
Although they'll probably sell a tonne of them, which as a brand will more than likely mean they'll be around longer than Opel Europe..... Those guys are in some serious shit.
You know something we do not ?

and apparently it was a bucket of poo to drive at that power level!
Really ? I thought they dumped a whole lot of upgrades into the suspension for the Hot Tuner Shootout a few years back and wasn`t it worth nearly as much as some of the Euro cars ?

Somehow I do not doubt your comments though the lowered/20`s Cruze I have driven feels like an American Car from the 60`s. Very floaty and extremely average steering,not to mention a confused auto and a lot of noise for not a lot of momentum.
Interior is alright though and it has everything the discerning 00`s driver wants............................:buttkick:

benzino
9th September 2013, 03:08 PM
the way I see it, you are all comparing apples with apples

it's funny because I'm sure there are alfa mito owners looking down on the corsa as platform sharing rubbish

who gives a crap, you have no plan on buying one so why rag on it

personally, I think they look good and I think it can never be a bad thing to have manufacturers embracing turbochargers which will no doubt improve the technology/increase efficiency/reduce cost

note: general statement and not directed at anyone in particular

hazrd
9th September 2013, 05:31 PM
I kinda agree with your comments there Ben. But I think its more disappointing that they chose this route rather than import the corsa under the Holden brand. I daresay this was the cheaper option :shrug:

benzino
9th September 2013, 06:01 PM
what like the malibu? :lol:

also, I realise it's not exactly apples with apples at the moment seeing as though the corsa is on the fiat platform... but I was thinking more about when the corsa E gets released on the gamma II platform

rjastra
9th September 2013, 07:27 PM
I thought it was obvious why the current Corsa wasn't on the cards. Fiat chassis and a lack if competitive engine/transmission combinations.

lonewolf1983
9th September 2013, 08:08 PM
You know something we do not ?

Really ? I thought they dumped a whole lot of upgrades into the suspension for the Hot Tuner Shootout a few years back and wasn`t it worth nearly as much as some of the Euro cars ?

Somehow I do not doubt your comments though the lowered/20`s Cruze I have driven feels like an American Car from the 60`s. Very floaty and extremely average steering,not to mention a confused auto and a lot of noise for not a lot of momentum.
Interior is alright though and it has everything the discerning 00`s driver wants............................:buttkick:

yeah, apparently lag city (which would be expected at that power level and only a 1.4 driving it)

chris_r
10th September 2013, 12:17 AM
I thought it was obvious why the current Corsa wasn't on the cards. Fiat chassis and a lack if competitive engine/transmission combinations.

The standard Corsa D non-turbo 1.4 isn't that far behind the TM Barina's 1.6 in terms of power (which is still somewhat based upon the X16XE from the Corsa B), but your average Corsa or Barina buyer isn't looking for massive amounts of power or sportiness for that matter. The turbo model will mainly appeal to enthusiasts, in which case they'll probably be smart enough to look elsewhere anyway.

As for Holden selling the Corsa, I believe even though Opel have gone through the ADR processes necessary, they're not interested in it as Corsa E is just around the corner and that just doesn't make sense at the moment. No point in starting to sell a car, when it's replacement is almost waiting in the wings. I guess this was possibly an issue for Opel, considering they would be looking at having to comply new cars (at a significant cost I would believe) that just didn't seem to be selling in the volumes they'd have liked.

hazrd
13th November 2013, 01:55 PM
It's here.....

http://www.caradvice.com.au/259501/holden-barina-rs-launches-20990/

poita
13th November 2013, 02:49 PM
Go home Holden, you're drunk

hazrd
13th November 2013, 02:52 PM
Go home Holden, you're drunk

:rofl1:
yep. lets slap a cruze motor into a small car, sikaflex some cheap plastic to the sides and back, and call it a "hot hatch" :facepalm:

chris_r
13th November 2013, 02:58 PM
Ooh, four wheel disc brakes. Not like they didn't have them on the XC or anything.

Well done Holden, once again you've succeeded in polishing a Korean turd, just don't expect it to shine.

Wraith
21st November 2013, 01:30 PM
Seriously for anyone who has the slightest knowledge of cars, who'd by this thing over the slightly more expensive but totally in every aspect superior and Euro built Fiesta...

Hopefully (although it'll most likely never happen) GMH will one day bring back the Opel brand to their line up.

hazrd
22nd November 2013, 07:55 AM
Hopefully (although it'll most likely never happen) GMH will one day bring back the Opel brand to their line up.

Absolutely, positively, definitely, zero chance
They have blown any chance they could have possibly had with the Australian market. I wont go in to details but i'll be looking for pigs flying if I ever see Opel here again as a standalone brand.

Agreed on the Fiesta being the better option. It's only $6k more (which is stuff all if you were getting finance), and you get a car thats, well, overall a shitload better lol