PDA

View Full Version : Car memory ?

no1joey
9th January 2005, 10:21 PM
here is a post off vectra sport in replying to a member saying his vectra was sluggish ,here is that reply :

could be lots of things, timing would affect it, as would a blocked cat.
mine is a 1.8 and it goes fine.
failing that, try a tank or two of optimax and drive it like you stole it for a bit, the ecu learns your style, drive it like a hooligan and it remembers it

end quote.

does anyone know more about this memory cars have and how it works, etc etc.... thanks

blackSRi
9th January 2005, 10:29 PM
As my Holden service department told me, the ECU has the ability to adjust engine running to driving style and pattern over time - drive it hard from start-up every day and it 'learns' this pattern and adjusts engine response accordingly (for efficiency etc)- however I doubt a major change to the ECU would happen instantly - it takes and uses the figures of air/fuel (oxy sensor etc), over many drives to tune the response to throttle etc.
The best way to change ECU is to reset it back to factory setting - as is usually done at Holden services - I notice my car drives differently straight after a service due to this - so I asked about this and was told the above.
Maybe the service guys on here can comment?

watchdog48
10th January 2005, 12:28 PM
To reset factory settings in ur ECU do the following:
- disconnect the negative terminal from your car and leave it like that for 5-10 min
- reconnect and leave car in idle for 5min
- take the car for a 5min burn and rip it a lil - this is where the car adjusts to the new type of driving

you will find that all your previous electronic settings have been reset, i.e. clock etc (im pretty sure that this includes ECU) - worked for me :)

thats the quickest way for your ECU to adjust

NUTTTR
10th January 2005, 12:37 PM
To reset factory settings in ur ECU do the following:
- disconnect the negative terminal from your car and leave it like that for 5-10 min
- reconnect and leave car in idle for 5min
- take the car for a 5min burn and rip it a lil - this is where the car adjusts to the new type of driving

you will find that all your previous electronic settings have been reset, i.e. clock etc (im pretty sure that this includes ECU) - worked for me :)

thats the quickest way for your ECU to adjust

I think you'll find that the ECU's in astra's/vectras actually need to be reset by tech-2 - there is no way at all to reset it by disconnecting the battery as it stores the settings without any power....
It must be reset by tech-2 - it's not like some other cars where d/c the battery does it unfortunately
Aaron

blackSRi
10th January 2005, 07:23 PM
Yes, as Nuttr points out - the settings are not stored in volatile memory so you should use a diag unit or Tech unit to reset.

no1joey
11th January 2005, 10:04 PM
they will if you leave it disconnected for long enough, like an hour.
thats what i was told by a few vauxhall owners.

dan_kind
15th January 2005, 08:02 PM
*bangs head*

NUTTTR
16th January 2005, 12:20 AM
*bangs head*
Yup