PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of swapping my G for a SRI-T

MikeCheck
30th August 2013, 11:16 AM
Hey so I'm getting a bit sick of my normal G (especially it's automatic) and thinking of swapping to a Turbo-d G.

At the moment for the engine parts I've got:
- An aftermarket exhaust (extractors back, I think),
- 30mm dropped springs,
- Beeson intake

(a new ECU is coming but it's been tied up in customs for.... about 8 months now)

If I were to swap over to a SRI-t, what of that could come with me/is worth bringing over?

My limited knowledge of cars tells me that the exhaust probably isn't worth the hassle as there's now the turbo in between complicating things?

Are springs interchangeable between a 4-door N/A and a 3-door turbo?

The Beeson intake I don't think is compatible with the Turbo's intake system? Correct?

This is all very preliminary and still not even sure it's worth it, as I:
a) want a turbo car I can mess around with,
b) want a manual,
c) want the extra safety stuff that comes with the turbo

Other options are always welcome; I considered doing an engine swap on my current G, but I've been told it's not worth it financially and can cause all sorts of mechanical headaches.

I don't particularly want to spring for a H-era turbo, as that's starting to get in to Golf GTI territory price-wise and if I'm going to spend that amount of money I'd get the Golf no questions.

Cheers

M

faneca
30th August 2013, 11:24 AM
That I do believe is actually a forum members car,

MikeCheck
30th August 2013, 11:27 AM
That I do believe is actually a forum members car,

Haha yeah I thought it might be so I took the link out just in case it breaks any forum rules.

Looks nice though!

guy 27
30th August 2013, 11:30 AM
springs and intake can be moved across to any g.

MikeCheck
30th August 2013, 11:33 AM
Good to know, thanks dude!

Now if only there was an Arden one around...

Kennedy
31st August 2013, 08:32 PM
Go for it mate! I've got a mk4 SRi Turbo, currently getting over 650 Kms on a single tank! Great cars

Shortstuff
31st August 2013, 09:33 PM
You should be able to pick up a reasonable AH SRI-T for $11k. You'd most likely only get a Golf 4 GTI for that which isn't worth looking at. Golf 5 GTIs start at about $15k for a nasty one.

MikeCheck
31st August 2013, 09:42 PM
You should be able to pick up a reasonable AH SRI-T for $11k. You'd most likely only get a Golf 4 GTI for that which isn't worth looking at. Golf 5 GTIs start at about $15k for a nasty one.

Thanks for the suggestions but it's still out of my budget.

What I meant by saying I'd just get a Golf is that if it's going to be starting to get in to past kind of $12, then I may as well just save the extra $5k and get a Mk5.

The idea with a Astra G Turbo is that selling my current car would (hopefully) cover 90% of the new car and I won't be out of pocket any.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, it's hard to understand without knowing my finances exactly lol.

Cheers

M

Shortstuff
31st August 2013, 09:53 PM
I see what you're saying. TS SRI-Ts seem to be slow to sell at the moment, so you should be able to get a nice one cheaply.

I always keep an eye on Carsales and there are a few dodgy looking ones out there too. If you get a good one you'll be rapt with it. Mine still makes me smile every time I get in it!

lonewolf1983
1st September 2013, 01:02 AM
note that the turbo does have different spring rates from the n/a cars, so whilst they will interchange physically, they may not be optimal.
and yes, much better idea to sell and buy than try a conversion

I also much prefer the G to the H myself :)

Kennedy
1st September 2013, 01:19 PM
Ask PommyDave if he would like to part exchange, as he is looking to sell his SRi-T. It's very clean, but it's silver.