PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning

Anonymous
16th February 2004, 05:23 PM
Been meaning to ask this question to other astra people since the day i bought my car,

When u have your air con on, and you flick the dial from front vents to window only, do you still have air coming through the front vents?

I asked holden when i first bought the car and was told basically "read the manual, and you will see that you need to turn each individual vent off" to stop air coming out of the vents even when the dial is on window only...

Is that normal for everyone else?

Anonymous
16th February 2004, 05:33 PM
Dont have an astra, but this also happens in the Barina. I guess its to still allow for some airflow to the passengers. I think its like that for mosr cars anyway...

Anonymous
16th February 2004, 05:36 PM
It didn't happen in my old cars....
i was kinda going on the theory "I tell it where and when i want my air"
if i don't want it coming out the vents, then it shouldn't be.

SmellyTofu
16th February 2004, 05:37 PM
Happens to my car...

Anonymous
16th February 2004, 05:40 PM
is that in the suby or the astra? :wink:

I guess that settles it, thats standard on the astra.

frankie9fingers
16th February 2004, 05:55 PM
same with mine. with my old car (xb gt coupe) the air would come from everywhere, including the sunroof.

Degen-Astra
16th February 2004, 06:09 PM
Same with mine...the manual also says the same thing.

Used to do it in my VK as well.

Anonymous
17th February 2004, 09:08 AM
Yeah, it's normal - if you have a look in the manual, it says the same. Pretty stupid in my opinion though...kinda defies the point of having the "feet only" setting me thinks...

imay
17th February 2004, 09:16 AM
I agree! Fail to see the point of turning a dial to feet or windscreen and then having to close all 4 vents on the dash, only to have to open them again when you turn to another setting. Must be another Euro idea. Any Jap car I have had (many!) has had simple, straight-forward ventilation controls. Flick the switch, slide the lever, or turn the knob and the function changes.
Damn fine heater though! And the air is nice on days like we've been having the past couple of weeks.
Ian

daastra
17th February 2004, 01:27 PM
Same with mine too!!!

And another thing....

Does anyone here notice that when they do use the air con how much f-ing petrol it uses??? Or is it just my car???

Anonymous
17th February 2004, 01:38 PM
good people agree with me - The dial system sucks,

re: the petrol..... i dont care.... as long as its working http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~samvac/cold.gif

01CDsedan
17th February 2004, 01:51 PM
I don't seem to get much air from the vents if I have it on windscreen only, but there seems to be no difference in my car between foot only and foot and face ventilation - same amount of air for both coming through the face vents.

Anonymous
17th February 2004, 04:00 PM
Same with mine too!!!

And another thing....

Does anyone here notice that when they do use the air con how much f-ing petrol it uses??? Or is it just my car???

Um. Yours is a 1.8 it takes at least 100kw to Turn a Air Conditioner :lol:

Only Joking :D

PRC33Y
17th February 2004, 07:33 PM
Same with mine too!!!

And another thing....

Mine is fairly efficient.....dont notice the fuel drop however i only have a 5 minute drive to and from work other than that when im on the highway i get reasonable k's also.

SmellyTofu
17th February 2004, 10:35 PM
I think my range dropped 50km running the A/C on.. but I think also the heat uses fuel more than normal.

astra_city
17th February 2004, 11:53 PM
Same with mine too!!!

And another thing....

Yeah but the 1.8 doesn't need to go on a diet like the SRi so performance wise there's not much difference :D

Also joking :D

Anonymous
18th February 2004, 03:47 PM
Same with mine too!!!

And another thing....

Yeah but the 1.8 doesn't need to go on a diet like the SRi so performance wise there's not much difference :D

I see we have another Wheels Reader. The 1.8 is Quicker the 2.2 SRi when its in a Barina SRi, Just it aint quicker than Mine :lol:

astra_city
18th February 2004, 09:28 PM
Same with mine too!!!

And another thing....

I see we have another Wheels Reader. The 1.8 is Quicker the 2.2 SRi when its in a Barina SRi, Just it aint quicker than Mine :lol:

Wheels - nah man they pretty much just annoy me when I read them. My dad does buy some Wheels mags and I have a read, but I'm not a big fan. Motor has some good issues some times...but i prefer the modified car mags, like Zoom, sometimes FF&R (if not all rice cars), HPI and the non-modified car mags I buy is Evo mostly, sometimes CAR/Top gear.

But yeah I did get that performance figure outta wheels :P Don't necessarily believe it...but quickest they got for the 1.8 was 9.3 and 16.6 in their most recent test. Not bad for a 92kw car and 1140kg.