PDA

View Full Version : New to Opelaus, 2005 TS Astra Owner

scottiepark
12th August 2013, 11:19 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm scottiepark and I'm new to the Opelaus. I have a 2005 Astra TS Classic Equip :woohoo:

I've joined this forum because I really need your help....

For quite a while now the warning light with the spanner through the car keeps coming on. It does not come on immediately, only after 5 to 10 minutes of driving and sometimes not at all, and it does not have any effect on the drive of the car.

I have taken it to my local mechanic (ultra tune) on about 4 occasions when it has come on and they have not found anything wrong with it when they put their computer on it. I also took it to a Holden dealer recently who also could not find anything wrong with it after a diagnostic check, and concluded that it was down to poor fuel quality because there was a bad smell from the petrol tank. My problem with this diagnosis is that the problem has been going on for a number of months, I've filled the car up in different petrol stations, (I always go for the cheaper petrol though).

I've done a pedal test and nothing has come up as well. I want to sell this Astra to upgrade my holden but worried no one will want to buy it because of this problem: How can I stop this light from coming on??? :mad2:

cheers
scottiepark

poita
12th August 2013, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

I would suggest running 98 octane for 3 or 4 tanks and see if it clears up.

Personally I have found both mine ran rough on 91 or even 95 octane fuel

adam_92
12th August 2013, 11:33 AM
Never touch cheap 91 fuel. These cars absolutely hate it I tried 91 for a tank in my old veccy and it ran like crap. I had lights flashing on the dash when I accelerated etc... went back to 98 and it ran perfect. I use 98 in all my cars, even the 1.6 astra van. You actually get better mpg/km-l using better fuel. Only works out a couple of $ more per tank but the better miles outweighs the cost. Plus your car will run better on it.

guy 27
12th August 2013, 11:44 AM
Welcome to OA

dutchy
12th August 2013, 12:15 PM
welcome to the forum.

scottiepark
12th August 2013, 01:20 PM
Never touch cheap 91 fuel. These cars absolutely hate it I tried 91 for a tank in my old veccy and it ran like crap. I had lights flashing on the dash when I accelerated etc... went back to 98 and it ran perfect. I use 98 in all my cars, even the 1.6 astra van. You actually get better mpg/km-l using better fuel. Only works out a couple of $ more per tank but the better miles outweighs the cost. Plus your car will run better on it.

Thanks for this.
I have actually changed to 98 since Holden told me they think it was poor fuel quality, I think it has made a slight difference but the light still keeps coming on. It has only been a couple of tanks since I changed though so I will continue with the 98 and hopefully it sorts the problem in time.

cheers
scttiepark

dutchy
12th August 2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks for this.
I have actually changed to 98 since Holden told me they think it was poor fuel quality, I think it has made a slight difference but the light still keeps coming on. It has only been a couple of tanks since I changed though so I will continue with the 98 and hopefully it sorts the problem in time.

cheers
scttiepark

you might have some foul O2 sensors. Just take em out, clean with some petrol, let dry really well.

guy 27
12th August 2013, 03:26 PM
you might have some foul O2 sensors. Just take em out, clean with some petrol, let dry really well.

+1

Especially if you've already gone through 1 tank of 98.

scottiepark
12th August 2013, 07:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm scottiepark and I'm new to the Opelaus. I have a 2005 Astra TS Classic Equip :woohoo:

I've joined this forum because I really need your help....

For quite a while now the warning light with the spanner through the car keeps coming on. It does not come on immediately, only after 5 to 10 minutes of driving and sometimes not at all, and it does not have any effect on the drive of the car.

I have taken it to my local mechanic (ultra tune) on about 4 occasions when it has come on and they have not found anything wrong with it when they put their computer on it. I also took it to a Holden dealer recently who also could not find anything wrong with it after a diagnostic check, and concluded that it was down to poor fuel quality because there was a bad smell from the petrol tank.

Well folks,
Thanks for the advice.

I decided to take it to a mechanic this afternoon, 24/seven Car Care, Glen Robinson (Frosty) in Maroochydore QLD, he was referred to me by a mate of mine. What a legend, told him the problem and that I had taken it to ultratune 3 times and holden, said no worries and that that's where I was going wrong and just to leave it with him! He took it to an auto sparky mate of his, found the problem code and that it was the throttle body causing the problem, sorted it right out.

No warning light all the way home, so far so good.

Old Frosty might be a bit frosty but he is a proper old-school mechanic and done me proud on the astra, and at a good price!

I'll keep you all posted if it comes back on again.

cheers
scottiepark

poita
12th August 2013, 07:33 PM
Hold onto that mechanic and don't let him go :lol:

Hard to find someone like that these days

PreeCilla
12th August 2013, 07:40 PM
Welcome! Glad its all fixed now. My solution was to but a sticker over it... :)

dutchy
12th August 2013, 09:10 PM
Wow, good to see its all well then.