PDA

View Full Version : corsa B brake upgrade????

JTaylorTeam
10th August 2013, 07:12 PM
hey guys just wondering if there is any vented rotors and caliper to suit a corsa B front! i unfortunately get brake fade with my super dooper new pads and need more cooling! the solid rotor heat soakes fairly quickly and isnt making my car any more competitive.

adam_92
10th August 2013, 07:32 PM
Calibra brakes fit.

chris_r
10th August 2013, 08:28 PM
Standard, the Corsa B has solid 236mm rotors. Any vented rotor upgrade is a definite improvement. As Adam mentioned, the 256mm x 24mm 2.0 Calibra rotors and calipers are probably the best option (TR Astra 1.8 or 2.0 GSi brakes are exactly the same). Corsa B GSi rotors are 256mm x 20mm and would still be fairly adequate, provided your brake hydraulics are in good working order (same for Cali brakes too, as the GSi master cylinder seems to be crap). Both options are just bolt on, bleed and go (and then stop)

Seeing as you don't have ABS, you would feel the difference with even just the Corsa B GSi setup. I do have my original GSi calipers and slotted rotors here if you're interested (only have had about 25000kms of wear with Ferodo pads). As for the Cali setup I have, they'll be going with the GSi when it's new owner gets the transport sorted. Personally, I don't think there's much difference between the two vented setups apart from an extra 4mm of rotor thickness.

chris_r
10th August 2013, 08:34 PM
Just to add to this, if you want a cheap and easy upgrade for the rear, SB Combo drums are also bigger than the stock ones. Disc conversion is also easy (I have done this, but that's also going with the GSi too), but will cost a bit more and require a custom handbrake cable and brackets welded to the rear axle. It may require a full brake line swap too, depending on your load bias valve type.

In most front wheel drive cars, rear brakes probably only do 20-30% of total braking, so the stock drums would probably be okay for now.

Brando47
10th August 2013, 10:59 PM
Just to add to this, if you want a cheap and easy upgrade for the rear, SB Combo drums are also bigger than the stock ones. Disc conversion is also easy (I have done this, but that's also going with the GSi too), but will cost a bit more and require a custom handbrake cable and brackets welded to the rear axle. It may require a full brake line swap too, depending on your load bias valve type.

In most front wheel drive cars, rear brakes probably only do 20-30% of total braking, so the stock drums would probably be okay for now.

I got an RAA inspection on my Astra and the rear brakes only did 9% of the braking :/ Not much to worry about there

JTaylorTeam
12th August 2013, 06:56 PM
ok guys no worrys i keep it in mine. ive just rebuilt my calipers and slotted my rotors and some soft pads so ill wait till there screwed and do something about it then. for now ill get some more airflow through thre and just yeah. deal with it for now. CHEEERS! :D