PDA

View Full Version : Using solvent type cleaners through intake.

minimalist_1
2nd August 2013, 08:46 PM
Has anyone tried the technique if running a solvent type product like Seafoam, liquid moly or wynns through the intake in bursts to remove carbon build up. I I've read a lot and looked at some videos. Seems its quite a common thing fir the crazy yanks, but am a bit scared to try it. Has anyone given it a go?

guy 27
2nd August 2013, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't use it. Only company that approves it's use is Subaru for their engines. Use decent 98 octane fuel and quality oil with regular changes and it will do the job of clearing carbon.

cbrmale
7th August 2013, 04:53 PM
I run Subaru upper engine cleaner through the inlet manifold of my Hyundai Veloster turbo each oil change, which is every 6 months of 7,500km. The Veloster has direct injection and any oil spray from the crankcase ventilation system will not be washed out of the inlet ports and inlet valves by fuel as is the case with conventional motors, so there can be a build-up of deposits over time. This seems to be more of a problem with direct injection motors which run exhaust gas recirculation, which the Veloster doesn't, but I am using the Subaru cleaner to be sure. I also have an oil catch can on the pcv line to be doubly sure.

I know that some Ford and Nissan dealers use the Subaru cleaner becuase it really is good stuff.

minimalist_1
7th August 2013, 05:07 PM
Cheers, might give that a go next time. I piked out a bit instead waited until I had just under a 1/4 of a tank left and pit some liqu moly deep engine cleaner in. In coughed and sputtered a couple of times but seems a bit smoother now. I'm mostly hoping some of it got through to my o2 sensors as I get the feeling they need a clean.

cbrmale
7th August 2013, 05:23 PM
I disconnect the pcv hose and spray half a can through the hose into the inlet manifold per instructions. After the required settling time I get my wife to start the engine and keep it idling while I spray the rest of the can through the hose (if you don't have a helper the engine will stall). The engine cleaner will contaminate the engine oil so I do this immediately prior to changing the oil.

With a direct injection engine, fuel additives will NOT clean the inlet tract as the fuel (and the additive) goes straight into the cylinders. With my port-injected motorcycle I used a quarter-bottle of interject fuel system cleaner on a full tank, and this cleaned a partly-blocked injector. With my motorcycle this additive WILL clean the inlet tract and the inlet valves of oil residue because it's sprayed through the injectors into the throttle bodies and inlet tract. Like the car I do this immediately before an oil change, and the used oil analysis did show contamination of the oil as a result (but no harm because it was done immediately before). The motorcycle gets a quarter-bottle because the tank is only 16 litres.

minimalist_1
7th August 2013, 05:34 PM
I'll give the suby cleaner a go next time, do you think putting the cleaner in the tank like I did will contaminate the oil. Should I cange it ASAP?

dutchy
7th August 2013, 05:56 PM
I'm mostly hoping some of it got through to my o2 sensors as I get the feeling they need a clean.

that can also cause the engine light to come on. then you'll have to take them out anyway and clean them.

minimalist_1
7th August 2013, 06:20 PM
The engine light was already on, have reset after cleaning and so far it hasn't come back. But I'm intending on cleaning them anyway. My special socket just arrived in the post.