http://www.caradvice.com.au/244771/opel-australia-goes-bust/

guy 27
2nd August 2013, 03:50 PM
For real?

GreyRex
2nd August 2013, 03:52 PM
For real?

Looks like it

Been confirmed by Opel Australia themselves...

rocky424
2nd August 2013, 04:05 PM
I do own a current model... not sure how to take the news yet. I guess there are a lot of uncertainty around how they will honor the warranties and services as promised at this point.

Shortstuff
2nd August 2013, 04:11 PM
That's a shame. One less make of any interest in Australia.

I put a lot of it down to the attitude most of my colleagues have, which is "if it's not a V8, it's a girl's car, it's not fast and I wouldn't even test drive one"

Kilbourn
2nd August 2013, 04:14 PM
It's a real shame - according to www.privatefleet.com.au they only sold 1,000 cars. Can that be right? Clearly not sustainable if so

ChrisMaz
2nd August 2013, 04:19 PM
I think their biggest downfall was branding themselves as a premium brand. They should have really been competing with Skoda not VW from the get go.

JohnBu
2nd August 2013, 04:20 PM
That's a real shame :(

Elliot_O
2nd August 2013, 04:21 PM
This makes my eyes rain

adam_92
2nd August 2013, 04:26 PM
Wouldn't they have known they were gonna close before they announced the zafira and mokka to arrive later this year.

Kilbourn
2nd August 2013, 04:29 PM
I think their biggest downfall was branding themselves as a premium brand. They should have really been competing with Skoda not VW from the get go.

Agreed.

Plus it's a very, very tough market. 40 odd brands (I think) for a market of 23m people.

JohnBu
2nd August 2013, 04:33 PM
Wouldn't they have known they were gonna close before they announced the zafira and mokka to arrive later this year.

I think the decision was made my the parent company.

eddysdaman
2nd August 2013, 04:36 PM
I think the decision was made my the parent company.

Agreed.

Suffice to say, as an owner of a new Opel. I'm pretty pissed. And I'm going to look into my options here depending on how they decide they'll continue local operations here through partnering service centres etc.

ChrisMaz
2nd August 2013, 04:38 PM
Agreed.

Suffice to say, as an owner of a new Opel. I'm pretty pissed. And I'm going to look into my options here depending on how they decide they'll continue local operations here through partnering service centres etc.

Surely they'd push any warranty / service work through Holden?

hazrd
2nd August 2013, 04:39 PM
Heres a bit of confusion thrown in.....

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/opel-australia-shuts-its-doors-20130802-2r4ch.html

This article says 1530, and it also says that they are in talks with Holden to keep bringing the OPC over.

mickos
2nd August 2013, 04:39 PM
Geez that didn't last long. Only saw 1st OPC ad on tv few days ago.

Sounds like they didn't promote/ advertise enough

btm
2nd August 2013, 04:40 PM
wow... epic fail

no wonder the dealerships are flogging all old stock like a dead horse... i've been getting 3 calls a week from them!

rocky424
2nd August 2013, 04:46 PM
Agreed.

Same here. I am not sure how our local dealers would bring this news to us owners. They will likely push us to holden dealers for service, but are we going to get the same service promises? We should share what we information we get from our dealers...

Shortstuff
2nd August 2013, 04:47 PM
Holden should give the Cruze, Malibu and Barina the chop and use the Opel models instead. Much better product IMO.

GTREA
2nd August 2013, 04:55 PM
Madness.

Could not believe they even came here.

I am guessing they saw the success of VW?

Yet Skodas performance in Australia was barely adequate I reckon.

Opel have a habit of going into and pulling out of markets in what I reckon are short periods of time, the UK, NZ, and the USA being a few

btm
2nd August 2013, 04:58 PM
on the bright side, i might be able to pick up a demo insignia for a steal now

Red AH SRI T
2nd August 2013, 04:59 PM
Agreed.

Plus it's a very, very tough market. 40 odd brands (I think) for a market of 23m people.

Try 66 brands........

ChrisMaz
2nd August 2013, 05:02 PM
Cisco just got a call back from Burswood Opel who reckon their demo OPC Astra may go as low as $35k....

btm
2nd August 2013, 05:04 PM
Cisco just got a call back from Burswood Opel who reckon their demo OPC Astra may go as low as $35k....

i was quoted $35K last week for one from sutho opel

might go lower now!

edit, $34,990 on monday was the last phone call

hazrd
2nd August 2013, 05:05 PM

might go lower now!

poita ......

ChrisMaz
2nd August 2013, 05:09 PM

might go lower now!

At that price I'd buy one even if it is serviced at Holden.

Red AH SRI T
2nd August 2013, 05:12 PM
$35k for OPC Astra?!

OPC1
2nd August 2013, 05:13 PM
Agreed.

I'm just talking to Berwick Motor Group (KIA/Suzuki/Opel) who have only one service centre. My thinking is, if they've got the 'experience' and training already, and the tooling, then they may keep servicing the cars anyway.

btm
2nd August 2013, 05:14 PM
my bad, my bad... should have read ChrisMaz' post properly before replying!! i am referring to an insignia select sports tourer

benzino
2nd August 2013, 05:23 PM
Seriously, what did they expect in a year? I can't imagine there would be much financial success in Australia if businesses didn't have the tenacity to stick out the slow period where a brand is still being recognised...

ah well...

GTREA
2nd August 2013, 05:25 PM
I would say the Governments recent announcement on leasing cars was the last straw

xplosv57
2nd August 2013, 05:31 PM
Mate at berwick opel said all new cars will be sent back, so suppose only demo's will be offered for sale.

opc08u
2nd August 2013, 06:33 PM
Well I suppose my Astra OPC will be a very rare car now.

jgo
2nd August 2013, 06:51 PM
Damn shame about Opel! I love my GTC, as I did my previous two Holden Astras.

poita
2nd August 2013, 07:23 PM
I'm devastated to say the least. Fell free to post up what ever info you get.

Will let you know any info I get

Cheers

:sadpanda:

ScottSri
2nd August 2013, 07:44 PM
Awesome!!! Not

Only befit is a rare car from this outcome

DJM83
2nd August 2013, 07:53 PM
What a shame this is, i came very close to an Astra OPC instead of my Focus. As good as the OPC is im kinda glad i didnt now even though it was a little pricey for me.

Ice
2nd August 2013, 08:06 PM
seems like they gave up too quickly but if the powers that be make it so then....disappointing :(

Milesy
2nd August 2013, 08:10 PM
While it is very disappointing news I can't wait to get my car which I'm hoping to get next week!

The Astra OPC is the best in segment and people should look at this as a massive opportunity to pick up an awesome car at a bargain price. I will be holding on to mine and just can't wait to get it!!

Raisin
2nd August 2013, 08:15 PM
This is really sad news. I had high hopes of being able to achieve my dream of buying a new Opel oneday.

bba2002moe
2nd August 2013, 08:20 PM
This is so sad. I was planning to trade in my SRi for astra sport. I wonder whats gonna happen to the new owners re parts, warranty etc

opc08u
2nd August 2013, 08:23 PM
that's it i'm done with GM. My first car was a 1960 FB holden, since then I've had; 1978, torana, 1978 Kingswood, 1979 Kingswood ute, 1986 VL berlina, 1996 Vs commodore, 2003 Astra SRi Turbo and now 2013 Astra OPC now I know generations of holdens have been Opel products and with out Holden modifications they were all crap. The 1977 Holden Sunbird with the Opel motor was absolute rubbish. Not the car but the motor. Although the car could have been better. I am 45 years old and still remember all these cars. OK I'm getting on abit but with a new Opel in the shed this is just a slap in the face. Fine go home Opel what did you expect ? It takes decades to make a difference in the market place in Aus. just look at the other euros. Holden doesn't make cars people want, certainly not me. I hope you all go broke.

glider
2nd August 2013, 08:24 PM
Due to their commitments you will probably find GM will allocate to Holden take up the slack re: servicing and parts... now imagine the markup Holden will impose on parts

Milesy
2nd August 2013, 08:27 PM
You should realise that your new OPC will still be covered with spares and warranty so you have nothing to worry about. You should feel lucky you have an OPC and enjoy it. I know I will when I get mine and I won't be selling it so couldn't give a shit about resale!

hotchip
2nd August 2013, 08:45 PM
Hi guys. I had planned to pick my Astra Sport up this afternoon (all detailed and ready for collection:cryin:)..dodged a bullet to say the least. Dealer informed me that I can renege on the contract and that I can obviously negotitate a better deal..but where would you start? I love the Astra.. but I am now feeling indifferent towards it. Feedback appreciated!

rocky424
2nd August 2013, 08:53 PM
Hi guys. I had planned to pick my Astra Sport up this afternoon (all detailed and ready for collection:cryin:)..dodged a bullet to say the least. Dealer informed me that I can renege on the contract and that I can obviously negotitate a better deal..but where would you start? I love the Astra.. but I am now feeling indifferent towards it. Feedback appreciated!

This does not take away that the astra is a good car.. However it raises questions against ownership. It's worth quizzing your dealership what would be the arrangement for warranties, services and parts for the lifetime of the car.

Milesy
2nd August 2013, 08:55 PM

Simple decision IMO, you obviously like the car enough to order one so take the opportunity to land a great car at a bargain price! I'm practicing what I preach as I'm still getting my white OPC.

nigelh
2nd August 2013, 09:03 PM
You should realise that your new OPC will still be covered with spares and warranty so you have nothing to worry about. You should feel lucky you have an OPC and enjoy it. I know I will when I get mine and I won't be selling it so couldn't give a shit about resale!

I think that's the best attitude to have. I felt sick then went for a bit of a drive in it and feel a lot better now its still a awesome car and I'm not planning on selling it.

jlgu
2nd August 2013, 09:06 PM
This is shocking and disappointing, shame that the Zafira would have sold here : (

dutchy
2nd August 2013, 09:20 PM
Did I miss anything today ?

arharoon
2nd August 2013, 09:41 PM
This is really disappointing. I hoped to one day buy the new Astra OPC. Are they going to launch the Astra under Holden again now?What a waste to stay for such a short while and not really even try properly.

dutchy
2nd August 2013, 10:00 PM
Sad & too bad. za Germans probably hoped for faster success to cover some of the losses they currently experiencing in Europe.

ah well, at least I got a very rare car now which, by the looks of it, will be serviced by Holden for the duration of the warranty (at Holden prices). Curious to see how they, Holden, will handle any warranty claims. Might get in touch too with OpelBrisbane and see if they can still do the ecu update I've been waiting for.

hazrd
2nd August 2013, 10:00 PM
So, just went out to the shops, swung past Berwick Opel on the way home. Every single opel is gone. They have filled the lot with 2nd hand cars and new kias lol

JohnBu
2nd August 2013, 10:08 PM
That's quick as!

I also feel sorry for the dealerships who built new showrooms.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

dutchy
2nd August 2013, 10:10 PM
I also feel sorry for the dealerships who built new showrooms.

The one in Maroochydore isn't even finished yet !

Shaun
2nd August 2013, 10:14 PM
Hmmm no wonder Tyans have been ringing me to do a deal on an insignia OPC ! Time to capitalize on this . Alls I can say that they haven't given it time to grow . Very has only come
Strong in recent years ! I have a feeling Holden will sell the remanding stock through its network. It's not viable to ship stock back to Europe as the stock would be complied for Australian Market.
I can see a couple of solutions

1) Holden dealer network takes on the Opel products remaining in Australia . Still as a stand alone brand attached to Holden dealerships

2) an importer could step in and take on the importer-ship / distributorship to see if the brand can continue here and grow .

3) existing stock is wholesaled or actioned off and Opel cut there losses

I may just go and talk to a dealership tomorrow now knowing this information to see what kind of deal I can cut on an OPC Insignia .

This however seems to have happen sudden considering the announcement of the Zafira that was due later this year . I have a feeling the brand may continue here but not with the support of Opel Germany .

OpelTigra2005
2nd August 2013, 10:18 PM
I am absolutely buttered. The article about Opel staying for good, featured on goauto.com.au I think was very encouraging. Such a great brand, being shown up by crappy Korean cars etc. All I can say is you get what you pay for and I'm glad my money went to an Opel Astra GTC Sport. It's a beautiful car to own, and is a real head turner.

Unfortunately for Opel is that it's not a Holden badge. It would have been snapped up if it wore the Lion rather than the Blitz.

I love my Opel and I'll keep it forever! I hope this is all a publicity stunt to get free advertising but I fear it's actually true. Hasn't quite sunk in yet. Perhaps when the tears dry it will sink in.

Such a shame Opel, you should have stuck it out with the upcoming Zafira, Mokka and Cascada. Rework the business case and get your asses back to Australia :)

glider
2nd August 2013, 10:19 PM
The one in Maroochydore isn't even finished yet !

This and other dealerships still under construction just shows how ridiculous it is to leave the market so early after launch. They wouldn't have even had time to try different marketing strategies or react/take advantage of market trends such as current issues with vw

adam_92
2nd August 2013, 10:29 PM
And the people employed by opel in the dealerships...

dutchy
2nd August 2013, 10:30 PM
Hold on..... April 1 fools day has been moved to August 2nd.... you got me real good by the nuts for a moment.

hazrd
2nd August 2013, 10:33 PM
What?

Shaun
2nd August 2013, 10:34 PM
It's such a knee jerk reaction . I have a feeling an 11th hour deal will be put in place .

dutchy
2nd August 2013, 11:46 PM
My insurance gives new for old in case of a write-off, means I'm gonna get a Cruze :shocked:

chris_r
2nd August 2013, 11:49 PM
Jeez, I don't know where to start on this. But, one thing they blame is "brand recognition" in the Australian market. I'm sorry, but it's hard to have the general public recognise your product when you only appear in the market for a year and disappear, that in turn only puts the wrong kind of "brand recognition" in people's minds. You want to build brand recognition in this country? It's gonna take some serious dollars and most importantly time. Why? Because not everyone wants to put down their hard earned on something that's yet to be proven as a force in the local market. Take a look at VW, for them to sell as many cars here as they do, they had to invest a lot of time and money to make it happen. Is it worth it? Maybe or maybe not, depends on how you view it I guess. If one thing is for sure, brand recognition won't happen overnight or in twelve months. I even think it was kind of naive on Opel Australia's part to believe they could rely on the reputation and recognition of previous generations of their vehicles sold here as Holdens. Most car illiterate people would've seen those ads and just thought "WTF is an Opel and what are they talking about?". Sure to find 15,000 sales by 2015 would've been a stretch at best. As has been said in this thread, 66 car brands with a myriad of models between them, targeting a country of 23 million, a lot of whom can't just afford to buy a new car and given our pathetic government's "new tax everything policy because we spent too much" means that figure is gonna be near impossible to reach ever. I guess I'm just really disappointed to see them give up so soon.

Now, I've heard rumours of Opel trying to work with Holden to get them to sell some of their models here still, badged as Holdens of course. Personally, I can only see that working with OPC models being sold as HSV's, like the AH VXR was. I cannot see Holden replacing Barina and Cruze models with the Corsa and Astra, mainly because of the profit margins involved, as well as the fact Cruze is Holden's meal ticket to continue production in this country (which as we all know, Holden is pretty much on borrowed time as long as the government is propping them up). Insignia could fit in where the Epica was, but like the Vectra before it, it'd end up costing more than a Commodore. Zafira and maybe even the Meriva could've given Holden a couple of niche models it wouldn't even get from it's Korean counterpart. Another thing is, in relation to GM Daewoo, Holden is GM's formal shareholder and takes it seat on the board. Naturally, as a result they'll be using Daewoo models for as long as that seat is held. I would also believe this was why Holden-badged Opels disappeared from the market in the first place.

Could Holden run Opel dealerships within it's own dealer network? Possibly, but only if there were some profit in it and if the dealers showed genuine interest. I would believe this kind of business model would have been the only viable option that could make Opel survive and grow in this country. I think Holden should give it a go, seeing as they may as well get some practice in at being a vehicle importer of sorts, because that money tree they're raiding at the moment (aka the Australian government), it won't last forever and neither will their manufacturing in Australia.

dutchy
2nd August 2013, 11:55 PM
You're not wrong there Chris. In all honesty, I don't see it happening Holden taking on Opel as a side brand. They'll probably honor the warranties currently on the Opels sold here, do the servicing to pocket some money and that's about it.

Shortstuff
3rd August 2013, 12:03 AM
No room for the Insignia either as long as the lovely Malibu is here I guess.

It was a mistake for Holden to go to the Korean models in the first place, but it seems they are on a cost cutting exercise, not a quality building exercise with the exception of the VF Commodore for some reason.

Potato-TS
3rd August 2013, 01:18 AM
So does this mean I can re-badge my Astra to an Opel, tell someone it's rare and sell it for more? :devil: haha

All jokes aside, this is sad news. I was quite looking forward to seeing more Opel's around. I find the badge much more visually appealing than the Holden lion. It also could've meant some more member's for Opel Aus.

I hope they look after the people who bought the cars well and don't screw them with this.

dynamik
3rd August 2013, 01:48 AM
The amount of Holden-hatch owners that have stopped me at petrol stations etc. and oggled the OPC, confessed to wanting to "upgrade" etc. They're stupid to quit so soon, the brand reputation was just starting to get traction.

There's a tonne of VXR and HSV owners that don't want a thumping V6/V8 and were just waiting for right time to upgrade.

dynamik
3rd August 2013, 02:04 AM
Now, it's not just the warranty - I want to know what's going to happen to the 3yrs Opel Assist Plus (roadside assist), Opel Service Plus (fixed price servicing) etc... there was a reason I bought into the "premium" brand. I'm going to have a laundry list of questions for the customer care number come Monday morning that's for sure.

MattJelonek
3rd August 2013, 03:11 AM
This news sucks!

rjastra
3rd August 2013, 06:38 AM
They had old product that was too exxy. An OPC Astra is getting towards A250 pricing and no auto available.

If carsales is anything to go buy they imported too many manual models and diesels. Why bother with a wagon or a 3 door?

OPC Corsa lobs on the market for more than the Polo GTI and way more than the Fiesta ST.

And the Insignia... 65K for the OPC that can be hosed by the new mid 40K commodore SS or a SRT8 Core.

NO SUV!!!!!!

gravy258
3rd August 2013, 06:49 AM
its lucky(for opel) they didn't offer lifetime warranty like they do on new Astras in the UK

Shortstuff
3rd August 2013, 09:48 AM
And the Insignia... 65K for the OPC that can be hosed by the new mid 40K commodore SS or a SRT8 Core.

NO SUV!!!!!!

The SUV was on the way. And as I said before, the only thing keeping the SS alive is the Bogan attitude of "Have to have a V8 to have a fast car" and it's pricing, which in the end will send Holden bust.

rocky424
3rd August 2013, 11:17 AM
Now, it's not just the warranty - I want to know what's going to happen to the 3yrs Opel Assist Plus (roadside assist), Opel Service Plus (fixed price servicing) etc... there was a reason I bought into the "premium" brand. I'm going to have a laundry list of questions for the customer care number come Monday morning that's for sure.
I echo your concerns...

nigelh
3rd August 2013, 11:37 AM

I was told all this will be honored but going to double check Monday

scamp
3rd August 2013, 12:44 PM
warranty will be honoured as it is a gm brand - probably have to go through holden dealers ?

kabel
3rd August 2013, 01:05 PM
A bit ridiculous to pull out 1 year after setting up business here.
Go back a decade and a half and remember the issues the Korean car makers were having here, now look at them. It is a different market now but surely you would think further options would be explored prior to making that decision and at least give it a couple of years.

Feel sorry for all the Opel staff and business owners also.

Pity they are having a fire-sale though as it will do nothing for resale of Opel cars purchased in the last year here.

imtfbundy
3rd August 2013, 02:16 PM
Disappointment and pissed off come to mind. Although I have no plans of selling my OPC, Opel pulling out after less then one yr takes a huge chunk out of the resale value. If Opel slash the prices of their leftover stock it's only going to affect the value more.

I really think some sort of compensation is in order. But getting anything like that will never happen.

kabel
3rd August 2013, 02:30 PM
So how do niche premium brands like Renault,Peugeot,Volvo,Alfa,Fiat etc. manage to stay here ?

Shaun
3rd August 2013, 02:53 PM
Kabel that's be because those brands mentioned accept that it takes time to go market share . I personally think 15000 units in 3 years was too high a target to achieve for Opel . Had Opel joined the Australian market when Holden removed the models
They were selling here they may have been closer to there target .

The sad part of this is Great Wall in Australia managed to last longer in the market place the Opel has . Sure the products are not in the same class but if you look at the success they are having with well over 30000 units sold here in 4 years I'm sure Opel could have endured the same success in the future .

I do recall reading this was a test excerise for Opel to see how they faired out side of a European Market.

I really feel for those who have purchased a new Opel product in the last 12 months . It's pretty poor that this has happened and hopefully Holden ( even though some people here think its a " brogan " brand and selling cheapened product ) step up to the plate and can some how assist Opel customers and possible even continue to see the stock that's stroud through the dealer network .

I believe Opel needed to grow its dealer network and strategical place them . Look at the Sydney dealerships in existence . They are all with in 40mins drive of each other . One is even 20 km apart which makes it hard to grow there market share .
Also the dealerships don't want to give much discount on the cars . New brands needs to be flexible when trying to enter the market . Entice buyers then that will help build awareness to other buys with more cars on the road

dutchy
3rd August 2013, 03:51 PM
I was told all this will be honored but going to double check Monday

will be pretty difficult to get through I guess cause everybody wants to call on Monday. If you do, pls share the details.

scamp
3rd August 2013, 04:58 PM
I agree , expecting to sell 15thou a year by 2015 was being a bit hopeful , they needed to aim at figures more along the likes of the French cars in our market and build their image with the aussie buyer over time .Also I think they needed to aim their advertising at being more a premium brand than with a funny accent idea they ran with .

Hoss
3rd August 2013, 05:33 PM
It seems to me that the reasons Opel are citing for their departure, should have been the very factors taken into account when considering whether to launch in Australia. I think there was very few people who believed that Opel could sell 15,000 cars a year by 2015.

pd-xc-72464118
3rd August 2013, 05:41 PM
Anybody heard of any big discounts on remaining Corsas?

hazrd
3rd August 2013, 05:44 PM
Anybody heard of any big discounts on remaining Corsas?

Yeah. there are quite a few. Spoke with a complete douche today at a dealership down east (its obvious they have lost all care since the announcement), and he said that all of the prices are being dropped. Anything they dont sell is going back on the boat and a reimbursement given

rocky424
3rd August 2013, 06:03 PM
A lot of things need to be cleared out. Example, if holden will honour fixed servicing and warranties - holden have significantly less fixed service cost on the updated cruze Sri/sriv models that have the same mechanicals as the astra select and sport, so why should opel owners pay the premium service of opel when it's going to be serviced by holden?

GTREA
3rd August 2013, 06:14 PM
I am trying to think of a more retarded, less thought out and short lived foray into Australia by a manufacturer than Opels effort.

Alas I cannot....even Seat make Opel look good.

dsuhiti91
3rd August 2013, 06:14 PM
OK, this will be a bit of a vent post - but it needs to be as I was with Opel from day 1 to closure (one of few). I was and am very passionate about the brand hence I am with Opel and on OpelAus long before Opel as a brand were here. These are only my thoughts so do not reflect any other Opel employees/dealers etc.

- To anyone saying the cars were not cheap enough or dealers did not discount them enough...they were. At the current prices, an Astra had about $2000 left for the dealer before any discounts. With the average buyer wanting $3k off a car or they would another X brand, this was a big challenge. Cheaper prices were just not possible! No profit = no point in selling cars here. Competition is very fierce, a lot of the time it came to fighting against other Opel dealers which didnt benefit anyone.
- BRAND AWARENESS. None! Concentrated on reducing the price too much, rather than building a BRAND and an image
- Lack of ads, little advertising.
- No plan. 15 000 cars by 2015?? Pfff, that was picked out of the sky!
- Didnt give it enough time. It was picking up slowly, but closing down after 11 months on the market - what did GM expect in 11 months?!
- Internally at a corporate level = useless. To get any action or answers, took repeat emails/phone calls etc.

The product is great, value for money was too compared to semi European brands. It is a shame, they will be rare gems on our roads.

hazrd
3rd August 2013, 06:21 PM
- To anyone saying the cars were not cheap enough or dealers did not discount them enough...they were. At the current prices, an Astra had about $2000 left for the dealer before any discounts. With the average buyer wanting $3k off a car or they would another X brand, this was a big challenge. Cheaper prices were just not possible! No profit = no point in selling cars here.

Question on the above (hoping you may be able to answer). When the "mid ja" sale was on, I saw some dealers here in Melbourne have up to $10k discounted off their cars. Are you saying from the above comment that cars were being sold at a loss?

dsuhiti91
3rd August 2013, 06:28 PM
Question on the above (hoping you may be able to answer). When the "mid ja" sale was on, I saw some dealers here in Melbourne have up to $10k discounted off their cars. Are you saying from the above comment that cars were being sold at a loss?

The Mid Ja price was the same as it was for months. The original pricing that was released last August changed around December and stayed there. Mid Ja was basically a promotion about the reduced pricing (and introduced free service on Astra). But yes, a lot of dealers were selling at a loss, made it very hard to compete. I had customers wanted to buy a car from us but we simply could not match a price that was offered by another Opel dealer on carsales etc. A lot of those 'cheap' dealers relied on overall numbers for a bonus from Opel at the end of each month...silly to do and very hard to compete. These same dealers now have 20+ demos in their dealerships that they sold to 'themselves' to hit monthly targets.

Opel doesnt really exist here anymore and I am not saying anything 'private' so meh.

imtfbundy
3rd August 2013, 06:30 PM
I sold cars for 5 yrs. Some people have this idea that dealers have this huge profit margin. Cars being discounted by $10000 could be the result of a bonus given by the importer to help clear old stock.

I was happy with the deal I got on my car, I love the way it drives, handles etc. People are surprised at how good they (OPELS) are.

Such a shame they are pulling out. :(

dsuhiti91
3rd August 2013, 06:34 PM
I sold cars for 5 yrs. Some people have this idea that dealers have this huge profit margin. Cars being discounted by $10000 could be the result of a bonus given by the importer to help clear old stock.

I was happy with the deal I got on my car, I love the way it drives, handles etc. People are surprised at how good they (OPELS) are.

Such a shame they are pulling out. :(

Yes, when you tell customers that though - they scoff and think you are trying to rip them off. Understandable though, I would be thinking the same if I wasnt in the industry.

Enjoy the Corsa OPC, I delivered the first one in QLD, great little car. Parts will be cheap from AutoVaux anyway - drive it to the ground :) Yes it depreciate, but not as bad as a $300k Merc or BMW haha.

hazrd
3rd August 2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the clarity guys. That does make a bit more sense (as unfortunate as it sounds)

dsuhiti91
3rd August 2013, 06:41 PM
To owners and to be owners:

- Yes, full support by Holden with servicing and warranty. Nothing changes, you just basically have to go through Holden now.
- Rumour is owners will receive some sort of letter describing what the process is from here.
- Your car is still great. Drive it and enjoy it, no point selling it at this stage.

If anyone has questions/wants a cheap new Opel, PM me.

Thanks

scamp
3rd August 2013, 06:42 PM
I sold cars for 5 yrs. Some people have this idea that dealers have this huge profit margin. Cars being discounted by $10000 could be the result of a bonus given by the importer to help clear old stock. :(

Seems as though joe public has the same misgivings in the electrical industry as well , contrary to public belief a $4000 tv does not cost the store $1000 try more like $3500 , we too have to depend upon suppliers specials or price drops , and seeing as the manufacturers import the products in us dollars , the recent drop in the aus $ means no price drops for some time

45Trekker
3rd August 2013, 08:22 PM
Surely exchange rates must be a factor. I havent checked the exact figures but against the Euro the Aud has dropped about 15% in a few months and is forecast to drop more. Also the Yen has been pushed down by the Japanese policy and might stay weaker making Japanese competition stronger. If the German head office beancounters believe that the Oz mining boom is over and our currency will remain weak they would have to face hard years that were not in the plan. I dont think they have the money to do what they hoped to do.

OPEL
3rd August 2013, 09:30 PM
Hi All

Shocked / Disappointed / Gutted / Upset when the "shocking" news was released!

John

rocky424
3rd August 2013, 10:24 PM
To owners and to be owners:

- Yes, full support by Holden with servicing and warranty. Nothing changes, you just basically have to go through Holden now.
- Rumour is owners will receive some sort of letter describing what the process is from here.
- Your car is still great. Drive it and enjoy it, no point selling it at this stage.

If anyone has questions/wants a cheap new Opel, PM me.

Thanks

I believe it may not be as straightforward as that... see Post #86

HoldenAstra
3rd August 2013, 11:55 PM
Sad!

Blame weak AUD!

Jen
4th August 2013, 09:22 AM
Sad!

Blame weak AUD!

I don't. Yes our dollar is weakening but that's due to the rest of the world becoming stronger again. We were only experiencing such a high due to comparison to the rest of the world. Germany would have been pretty silly to expect that to last forever

indoctrine
4th August 2013, 10:46 AM
This is really sad news. I had high hopes of being able to achieve my dream of buying a new Opel oneday.

Me too. :(

HoldenAstra
4th August 2013, 04:39 PM
I don't. Yes our dollar is weakening but that's due to the rest of the world becoming stronger again. We were only experiencing such a high due to comparison to the rest of the world. Germany would have been pretty silly to expect that to last forever

Obviously Germany did not expect weak AUD in such a short time. With the weak AUD, Opel Australia needs to pay more than before, to get the cars to Australia. Without price increase, they will probably lose money.

poita
4th August 2013, 05:07 PM
Obviously Germany did not expect weak AUD in such a short time. With the weak AUD, Opel Australia needs to pay more than before, to get the cars to Australia. Without price increase, they will probably lose money.

As would every other car company in Australia

Jen
4th August 2013, 05:20 PM

Exactly. I hate hearing the excuse that it's the aussie dollar. Apparently petrol prices went up due to our strengthening dollar now our weakened dollar is to blame for them rising again apparently. Business practice would have them factoring in fluctuations before making the decision to import the brand, that's business 101 from an international perspective

45Trekker
4th August 2013, 07:42 PM

Rubbish. The Euro to the Yen has moved 35% in the last year. That means the Japanese manufacturers are laughing and the Euro people are hurting. If they bought a long way forward they are covered but as a new entrant with uncertain sales Opel probably would have had minimum forward cover. Opel has been under large financial pressure for years in Germany and does not have the financial freedom that some other manufacturers enjoy.

poita
4th August 2013, 07:55 PM
All of the other Euro dealerships seem to be doing fine. If it was so hard for them why aren't VW or MB closing sites down at the least?

It's a bullshit excuse for anyone to try and use. For Opel to dip their toes into a market for only 11 months and pull the pin shows a complete lack of research and commitment from head office.

If Opel was legitimately wanting to make an impact in the Australian market they would of launched with more than 3 models.

Why not bring out the Adam if they were so concerned about the small car market.

And waiting times were a shit load less than other brands, try and get a VW with a few options within 6 months. Or the massively overrated Toyota 86.

They would have advertised outside the major cities. I'm 400km from Brisbane and didn't see one commercial for them.

People travel far and wide to buy a car if they are genuinely excited about it or if the seller puts across a good front.

It was a totally half assed attempt all round imo, and from talking to many people about it they won't get very far if they come back again.

My 2c, take it or leave it.

hazrd
4th August 2013, 08:13 PM
^^^^^ 100% concur

Jen
4th August 2013, 08:37 PM
Totally agree Pete

Ice
5th August 2013, 12:35 AM
Agreed Pete. Amazing what seems like a lack of planning on their behalf and utter disappointment. I really had high hopes for them... alas is done and dusted.

SIMid
5th August 2013, 09:20 AM
There must be more behind all this than what is happening on our shores. For them to keep promoting new models, only to be told an hour to all staff before the press release that they are packing up and leaving is saying there is something majorly wrong at Opel in Germany. All the millions invested here was for long term and yes, they should understand that it will take a few punches with losses to start with. It wasn't Opel Australia saying that this is it and handing everything back.

Maybe they expected the name "Astra" to kick start them on a win (flogging the Astra ads), which it didn't.

They should had let it run it's course for 3 years then decide to jump. Can't remember how long SEAT lasted here. Maybe a couple of years? I'm sure Renault and Skoda (as someone mentioned before) aren't selling like hotcakes, but have improved sales over the years.

SIMid
5th August 2013, 09:25 AM
BTW, must pop down to the local dealer and ask if I can take the huge illuminated Opel sign for my garage. :lol:

kabel
5th August 2013, 09:41 AM
BTW, must pop down to the local dealer and ask if I can take the huge illuminated Opel sign for my garage. :lol:
We were at burswood Opele yesterday talking about that also.
And agree with your previous post, must be more to the decision.
They cannot be that shortsighted and they must have had an understanding of the market here prior to "re-entering" it. Obviously they were aware of why Holden decided to no longer re-badge Opels.

Hopefully some Opelaus members can pick up a bargain or two out of this !

Bloodnok
5th August 2013, 09:59 AM
If Opel was legitimately wanting to make an impact in the Australian market they would of launched with more than 3 models.

Agreed. I can see how they arrived at that launch lineup (at least from head office in Germany's perspective -- only European produced cars, in proven Australian market segments, and nothing that competes directly with a rebadged version of the same car), but they should have launched with at least 5 models, and there should be at least 7 in the range by now.

The problem Opel have is they have too much European production capacity. Head office were undoubtedly looking for new markets to sell more cars, particularly the German produced ones, because they can make a lot more than they are selling at the moment.

Why not bring out the Adam if they were so concerned about the small car market.

Adam is a Mini/Fiat 500/VW New Beetle competitor rather than a volume small car. It's strength is the options list, and they were concerned about delivery times. I'd have put a single showroom model in each dealer, and some method of showing off the various options. And let the customers deal with the shipping delay.

And waiting times were a shit load less than other brands, try and get a VW with a few options within 6 months. Or the massively overrated Toyota 86.

I probably would have ordered an Insignia - if they'd let me at the full list of options, rather than trying to shoe-horn me into a specific vehicle configuration. I wanted an Insignia hatch with a manual gearbox. What we ended up buying was an Octavia hatch with a manual gearbox. "Hatch" and "Manual" were not optional. Turns out that "Insignia" was optional.

They would have advertised outside the major cities. I'm 400km from Brisbane and didn't see one commercial for them.

This. Also, spread the dealers out. They were too concentrated in capital cities - several in each one, and there is evidence that the dealers were competing with each other. There was ~20 dealers, right? I'd have looked at something like:

* Sydney
* Melbourne
* Brisbane
* Canberra
* Adelaide
* Perth
* Newcastle
* Wollongong
* Geelong
* Gold Coast
* Sunshine Coast
* Toowoomba
* Townsville
* Albury
* Dubbo

Sydney and Melbourne could possibly justify a second one, but I would have been looking to concentrate area sales through an individual dealer, both to reduce inter-dealer competition and get the widest spread of coverage possible. I've spoken to several people who sold their much loved Astra recently and replaced it with something else, and had no idea you could buy a new one, because they don't live in a capital city, or visit one on a regular basis...

JohnBu
5th August 2013, 10:16 AM
To the defence of Opel, the aren't in the business of running dealerships and therefore can't open them. Only a few importers/manufacturers run and own the dealerships, the vast majority of importers/manufacturers sell via externally run dealerships.

I'm sure Opel would have wanted dealers everywhere and would have contacted every regional multi-brand dealership out there to partner with Opel and sell Opels.

Therefore, there's no point spending money advertising in an area where there isn't a dealer... it's a catch 22.

In commercial reality, you only have a certain amount of advertising budget and it's only logical to advertise in areas with a dealer, i.e. major cities.

I'd say Opel/GM are having issues and therefore have decided to cut investing (i.e. losing money) into new ventures.

dutchy
5th August 2013, 11:01 AM
anyone called the 1800 number yet ?

rocky424
5th August 2013, 11:36 AM
anyone called the 1800 number yet ?

I did twice now, first was last friday afternoon, half an hour after the news was published. At that point they had no idea of the news.

Next was this morning, it is still vague at this point. They would only assure you that obligations will be met, but by how is yet to be finalised. He mentioned that existing dealers might still be able to service until they close down completely, and then a nominated dealership (holden) would eventually take over the obligations.There may or may not be a letter to individual owners.. I know vague right?

So next step is to call your specific dealers as to what their specific plans are.

dutchy
5th August 2013, 12:49 PM
I did twice now, first was last friday afternoon, half an hour after the news was published. At that point they had no idea of the news.

Next was this morning, it is still vague at this point. They would only assure you that obligations will be met, but by how is yet to be finalised. He mentioned that existing dealers might still be able to service until they close down completely, and then a nominated dealership (holden) would eventually take over the obligations.There may or may not be a letter to individual owners.. I know vague right?

So next step is to call your specific dealers as to what their specific plans are.

I just did get in touch with the dealer in Brisbane. As I still needed to get the software update for the Navi 900, I made an appointment for Wednesday. She told me that for now, all their service matters will be handled by Audi Centre in Brisbane until further notice. I'm not worried about service or warranties because, as per law, they must honor these. An more worried about the trade in value of the Opel's and in particular the "normal" models. What happens if I want to trade it in, in 2 years time ? I'll get bugger all for it as it'll be used as an excuse for the lower value. This will also be for the OPC's but it'll be less of a problem because the OPC's are a more desirable car which I think will keep their value a bit more. I already did speak to a dealer selling another European brand and he confirmed that if I were to trade in an Opel at this stage, it would mean I would have to accept a significant lower value than if this whole matter would not exist. HMMMMM, get another car on Wednesday...........

dutchy
5th August 2013, 02:06 PM
Just called that 1800 number and as rocky424 said, there's not much they can tell or add to the story. I told the lady that I wasn't really worried about servicing, warranties, roadside assist etc... as they will have to honor that anyway.
I asked her about trade-in values being significantly lower than redbook values as I experienced over the weekend and she said she couldn't see into the future so there was no comment on that....... She then resorted to speaking to her supervisor and then came back again that they can't predict the future in trade-in values. I told here that there are legal ramifications for people that bought an Opel as a business asset and that there are ATO taxation rules by law about vehicle depreciation which she didn't quite understand. She advised me to go to another dealer and ask how much they were going to give if I trade it in now so on Wednesday I'll do exactly that. Just inquire and see what they say. Don't want to stir up things but I'm allowed to voice my concerns and ask them for a response to that.

Jen
5th August 2013, 02:09 PM
I was curious if there were legal ramifications in regards to trade ins

JohnBu
5th August 2013, 02:11 PM
You thinking of trading your car in Dutchy?

For future value, none. I would say if you you had purchased another car and traded in your Opel, the dealer would have to honour the contract. However I'm sure the dealer would try and weasel their way out, i.e. delay your the delivery of your car indefinitely.

kabel
5th August 2013, 02:12 PM
SOME FURTHER THOUGHTS HERE.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/08/a-few-thoughts-and-observations-about-opels-withdrawal-from-australia-opinion-desk/

dutchy
5th August 2013, 02:34 PM

Yes, there are. As a small business I can accelerate depreciation deduction in the first year by a set value (5000). In the next year, it's going on 15% of it's book value. That is consistent with the redbook trade-in values which nearly all dealers use. The ATO will crack down on anyone who will report a much lower value in the books (for example the price for which I traded it in). A car hasn't used it useful end of life after being under 2 years in the books. I don't see this Astra being traded in for roughly 25.000 to 30.000 in 2 years time not considering what I have been offered over the weekend if I trade it in against another European brand car with a drive-away price of nearly 50.000 dollars. It's just 1 price that I got at 1 dealership but this is what they were willing to give at trade-in "considering the Opel situation and they would unlikely be able to sell the car to the public at a reasonable price... blah blah blah". Me just venting a little I guess but I hate to make a loss on money I work so hard for.

dutchy
5th August 2013, 02:47 PM
You thinking of trading your car in Dutchy?
For future value, none. I would say if you you had purchased another car and traded in your Opel, the dealer would have to honour the contract. However I'm sure the dealer would try and weasel their way out, i.e. delay your the delivery of your car indefinitely.

Yes, I might trade it in if I get the value it would have gotten if Opel didn't pull out.
Value is affected, 1+1=2 that's a fact, however you look at it. Go to a dealer and trade in your VW.... they'll use any excuse in the book citing the possible problems with your particular car and how it has affected the resale value (and they are right to do so) to give you a lower price. Same with the Opel's. I have done it over the weekend and you'll be shocked about the price they offered (roughly what one and a half Cherry car costs :eek6: ). I know they are bulsh#tting me on that but that's what I got. I'll be seeing what they give if I trade it in for an Audi on Wednesday, just out of interest. Don't get me wrong, I like my car and rather keep. I also go on the accountants advise about writing off the value in the books. That leaves me with a loss and lesser value of the car that I can deduct. Anyone with an Opel, just go into any dealership and ask about trade-in value atm if you buy a new car.

eddysdaman
5th August 2013, 03:13 PM
dutchy,

Let me know how you go with this. I'm in the same boat. I justified the OPC because of my income, tax deductions based on my new job etc. And in 4 days I've taken a 15k+ hit?

I've 'expressed' my feelings to Opel, but like you said, they know nothing right now.

rocky424
5th August 2013, 03:17 PM
I called my specific dealer in Sydney. Since they have 1 service centre for 3 car brands (reduced to 2 now - Opel), they will continue to exist and be able to fulfill their service obligations for my car. However, for warranty works, I would need to go to "any" GM/Holden dealership. I will still await my formal letter, and go from there to be able to nut out all details and concerns.

I did quiz them about trade-in... obviously that would be affected and is likely beyond their control. Even if I'd like to trade-in at the moment for a reasonable price, there is no direct replacement for the car that I have (sports tourer) with the brands the dealership hold. I got this car for the reason that it strikes the balance for me on being a car enthusiast and a family man without breaking the bank. This is the only car I have, and I plan to take good care of it and keep it for sometime. That will be the best case I have for selling it at a reasonable price to a person that understands the worth of the car for what it is down the line, hopefully an opelaus member.

Let's keep each other updated on what info you get from opel australia and the dealerships.

dutchy
5th August 2013, 03:18 PM
dutchy,

Let me know how you go with this. I'm in the same boat. I justified the OPC because of my income, tax deductions based on my new job etc. And in 4 days I've taken a 15k+ hit?

I've 'expressed' my feelings to Opel, but like you said, they know nothing right now.

As you've bought it privately, you won't have an ATO issue UNLESS you bought it on a monetary loan basis privately (look at it as a person that bought a house against a mortgage and a month later it seems the house is valued much less than the value you got your mortgage on). Now obviously I can't go into detail about my personal tax situation and everyone's is different but it is creating some hassles.

SIMid
5th August 2013, 03:59 PM
The only way to save all this is for an independant operator to step in to continue with the brand as most sites are setup now. Highly unlikely from Holden as they want to continue selling their Korean cars.

Such a shame, had so much potential.

We will be keeping our Astra for the next 5-8 years anyway. Mrs don't like to roll cars over. Plus she loves her Astra! :) I don't mind it as well, kind of grown on me.

ScottSri
5th August 2013, 09:24 PM
www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/2012/11/13/new-vauxhall-insignia-vxr-supersport/
Mhhh woulda been nice to have seen this insignia opc

kabel
5th August 2013, 09:50 PM
Think it is the same as we have here with the limiter raised to achieve the extra speed.
Someone will know for sure though.

ScottSri
5th August 2013, 10:00 PM
Think it is the same as we have here with the limiter raised to achieve the extra speed.

Nar the 0-60 on that "new one" is 5.6 secsonds the other one was slower than that with 6.3. Might just be a new tune but the model should be up dated because the select came out in 2008 in Europe

Wraith
6th August 2013, 11:48 AM
Bloody hell, just got wind of this and it's terrible news :(

I always knew it was going to be hard for them and since opening up they have been struggling with sales, hence all the really generous 'try out deals' they've been offering lately...

I hardly see any of the new Opel range on our roads here since they opened shop, I've probably only ever seen or spotted about 3 AJ Astras in all of that time and nothing else, sales have definitely been slow or them...

Would have cost them an absolute fortune to set up shop here and if the revenue is not coming in then shutting up shop would be the obvious result, my missus part time manages the pharmacy across the Rd from the South Yarra Opel dealership so I'm always having a gander at that dealership and they've been doing renovations there for some time, looks like it's all been a waste...

Hope their operations in Germany and Europe will not be adversly affected, so they continue on over there...

GMH should take the brand back, would certainly be better than the Daewoo rubbish they now have occupying their entire model line up except for the Commodre and the new Volt...

OPC1
6th August 2013, 12:10 PM

I'm guessing this was the one mentioned by Adam (at Berwick Opel) as coming out "later this year" - while selling the Astra OPC to me. Sniff! But we ended up buying a Liberty anyway for our 4-door.

kabel
6th August 2013, 02:08 PM
Bloody hell, just got wind of this and it's terrible news :(

I always knew it was going to be hard for them and since opening up they have been struggling with sales, hence all the really generous 'try out deals' they've been offering lately...

I hardly see any of the new Opel range on our roads here since they opened shop, I've probably only ever seen or spotted about 3 AJ Astras in all of that time and nothing else, sales have definitely been slow or them...

Would have cost them an absolute fortune to set up shop here and if the revenue is not coming in then shutting up shop would be the obvious result, my missus part time manages the pharmacy across the Rd from the South Yarra Opel dealership so I'm always having a gander at that dealership and they've been doing renovations there for some time, looks like it's all been a waste...

Hope their operations in Germany and Europe will not be adversly affected, so they continue on over there...

GMH should take the brand back, would certainly be better than the Daewoo rubbish they now have occupying their entire model line up except for the Commodre and the new Volt...

My understanding was that the local dealerships paid for the right to sell the brand and covered most of the fitout costs themselves, again not 100% certain just Chinese Whispers from someone
who has contacts within local dealerships.
Do not disagree with your other sentiments though.

Wraith
6th August 2013, 07:14 PM
If that's the case then it's a good thing for Opel, certainly not as big a financial loss as what it looks like and they can remain strong with their operations in Europe...

Pity though for the dealership owners...

SIMid
7th August 2013, 04:04 PM
June Figures for 2013 sales;

Rank - Brand - Sales
22 Renault 605
23 Volvo 586
24 Fiat 426
25 Skoda 397
26 MINI 282
27 Chrysler 207
28 Alfa Romeo 188
29 Opel 159
30 Dodge 157
31 Porsche 140
32 Ssangyong 140
33 Citroen 105
34 Jaguar 91
35 Chery 75
36 Proton 54
37 Infiniti 47

Pretty bad, but really? They only had started for Christ's sake. No excuse to pull out so quickly (sounds bad what I had just written).

I think they haven't really thought this out. Holden should jump in and take over the operations, sell the Opels side-by-side with their Korean developed cars. Might add some street cred to their unaspiring line up.

Ice
7th August 2013, 04:46 PM
Not a bad idea Simid but itll them take away from their sales of Koreans. I think they would be happy to have them gone tbh

JohnBu
7th August 2013, 04:50 PM
Holden should jump in and take over the operations, sell the Opels side-by-side with their Korean developed cars. Might add some street cred to their unaspiring line up.

Seems like the logical thing to do since the cars are already ADR'd.

ChrisMaz
7th August 2013, 04:51 PM
July was 111 cars. Honestly, its the unwillingness of Opel Europe to support a fledgling market when they are struggling so bad. In W.A at least, it's only been in the last 6 months that Opel Advertisements have started to appear, which really isn't enough to build a brand.
Hence why GM Europe are cutting their lossses and bailing so early. They just can't afford to prop up a market that will take years to build, with the real possibility that Opel as a brand won't last the next few years the way sales are going at the moment.

EDIT: Not to mention their entry models were horrible and over priced. If they'd waited 12 months, bought in entry level, mid, high and sport levels they would have seen quite a few cars moving from their dealerships. The Astra OPC was already beginning to sell like hot cakes for a $48K hot hatch, not to mention a $32K Corsa OPC, whilst its interior was 6 years out dated, was still excellent value with huge tuning possibilities.

cbrmale
7th August 2013, 05:15 PM
I test drove an Opel Astra Sport as a possible replacement for my Astra AH 2.2 SRi and was unimpressed to say the least. It literally is a Holden Cruze with leather seats and it didn't have my Astra's lovely, fluid steering, nor did the 1.6 turbo impress me much. Indeed the steering was light, vague and wander-y. Of course the Astra IS a Daewoo / Holden Cruze with a different body and interior, so it was always going to be average.

In the end I bought a Hyundai Veloster SR which is also a 1.6 turbo, but the same size as my AH and much lighter than a new Astra, while the Hyundai engine runs a high-pressure turbo with intercooler and turns roughly the same acceleration as an OPC. Also the Hyundai's steering is much better than the Astra (who would have thought), and it came with leather-covered Recaro sports seats and all the other good gear. So for a few thousand dollars cheaper than an Astra sport (and many thousands cheaper than an OPC) it really was excellent value. More importantly it's a great car to drive.

I was unimpressed by the latest Astra being a global platform designed and built in America (as a Chevrolet), in Korea (as a Daewoo), in Australia (the Cruze) and in Europe (Opel / Vauxhall). To be honest the Focus is better and the Cruze, now with 1.6 turbo, is basically the same. So Opel didn't have the product, as much as Astras in the past have been a big-selling model. But it is a shame for those who bought Opel during their brief foray becuase the value of their cars will take a big hit. Needless to say I am glad I went the way I did because the Veloster is a great driver's car with striking good looks, as long as you don't want to carry back seat passengers more than infrequently.

dutchy
7th August 2013, 09:08 PM
It turned out a bit of a long story but here it is for those keen on reading it.

I went to the dealership group that also sold Opel in Brisbane today to get the Navi900 update (ao. fix for not reading the sd card). She also informed me about another update that is coming up. She was informed about that new update this morning but they have to wait for those files. Owners can probably get that update in about 2 weeks time or so. While they updated the system in the Astra , I had a look at a new Audi A3 sportsback. Nice car I must say and quite affordable if you do NOT take any options. Options cost you a small fortune but on the other hand, it's these options that make the car even nicer. Anyway, due to Opel pulling out of Australia, I have been contemplating in selling my Astra and take the loss. I believe that once the warranties run out, the value of my car will be next to zero. Value is already down on what it is supposed to be. Last weekend I went to a dealership and asked how much I would get if I trade the Astra in for one of their 3 point star cars and the reply I got is because they heard of Opel pulling out, they were not willing to give me more than 15.000 for mine. Mind you, that's a 40.000 dollar car down to 15.000 in 4 months time. The good folks at Audi confirmed the exact same thing today. The channels they use for their trade-ins would not pay more than that considering its a brand not available anymore so will be hard to sell onwards to customers. Even with Holden taking on warranties, these run out in a few year time. Holden doing service repairs, that's just a load of bull, they could have maken a deal with autoleaders or similar companies. Holden supplying and stocking parts for the Opels...... yeah right........ The Astra and the Cruze might share the same frame, but the rest if absolutely different. This is a very bad situation and one that Opel will be fully aware of but would not want to know about. Casualties of their decision not hurting their pockets. This leaves us in the shits. There are people that bought theirs on a loan with a payout residual value , that value is completely gone. Others, like me, rely on residual trade-in value after a few years, that is now gone too and I have to write off more than the tax office allows according to their rules. Even the small business write-off amount and the 15% in the following years would not be enough. Then there are other legal tax issues that I have to solve due to the much lower value. Another big issue is those that have insurance on market value instead of agreed value. You can have new for old in the first year or maybe the first 2 years but after that, you get market value. If your car is written off, you can't even buy a Chery car for what you'll be getting. Now that bothers me. A decision taken by Opel in Germany to pull out is ripping off Australians. They wouldnt give a shit about those few in Australia that bought one of their cars. I already put this forward to Opel by phone but I got nowhere, the poor girl I spoke to just works the phone. I'll contact them again but now in writing. I doubt they can / would do anything about this but a formal reply would be the least they could do. I must say though that Audi was willing to help out somewhat (maybe because it was the same dealership that also sold the Opel) but it's not up to them to make me feel a tiny bit better about all of this. Got 3 options here;
sell the car and take the hit as it's worthless in 3 years time.
keep the car and drive it to the ground.
Hope it gets stolen & written off / burns down very soon.

Shaun
7th August 2013, 10:02 PM
June Figures for 2013 sales;

Rank - Brand - Sales
22 Renault 605
23 Volvo 586
24 Fiat 426
25 Skoda 397
26 MINI 282
27 Chrysler 207
28 Alfa Romeo 188
29 Opel 159
30 Dodge 157
31 Porsche 140
32 Ssangyong 140
33 Citroen 105
34 Jaguar 91
35 Chery 75
36 Proton 54
37 Infiniti 47

Pretty bad, but really? They only had started for Christ's sake. No excuse to pull out so quickly (sounds bad what I had just written).

I think they haven't really thought this out. Holden should jump in and take over the operations, sell the Opels side-by-side with their Korean developed cars. Might add some street cred to their unaspiring line up.

When you look at it that way they are in the middle of the band in a 66 Brand Market. Its actually not too bad. Look at Infiniti who launched here at the same time. Opel have over 3 times the amount in sales for July.

I decided to ring Holden today and ask there views on the claims made by some dealers that GM Dealers would take over as the servicing dealers and warranty dealearships.

They believe it will go that way with past exp when Hummer and Daewoo pulled out of Australia. Legally Opel / GM as a brand need to support the product for a min 10 years. From a parts business
prospective nearly all Manafacturers will slow make redundant stock thats not moving obsolete.
As an Assistant Parts Manager of 3 Truck Dealerships and having an understanding of how a Parts Business works i can give you some insight to some aspects of basic parts operations.

I have a feeling Opel use Holden's Distrubition Network and Warehousing when it comes to there NPDC( National Parts Distribution Centre) . If they dont they could be using someone like Ceva or Cat Logistics. This being the case Holden will continue to do this side if they are.

In other new i have been told the Dealers have until 31st August 2013 . After this date Opel will take back stock and the stock will be farmed out to Holden Dealerships to sell. There was is also another romour floating round the Automotive industry that the remanding stock and stock that is due to land in the ports will be registered and sent to Auction. bare in mind though this may not attract caped price servicing agreements.

Holdens comments were the following.
Opel is committed ensure there customer obligations will be met to the fullest and to the highest levels. This is the same as Opel Had to offer on Saturday when i called them.

JohnBu
7th August 2013, 10:21 PM
ot 3 options here;
sell the car and take the hit as it's worthless in 3 years time.
keep the car and drive it to the ground.

Personally, I would drive it for 3 years and then consider your options then.

You already have taken a massive hit, by trading it in for another new car, you're going to be hit by depreciation again.

The car hasn't changed since Opel pulled out, so you may as well enjoy the car.

Even after warranty, parts will only be a few days away from Autovaux and with the Internet, you can find solve most issues online.

hotchip
7th August 2013, 11:08 PM
how can you be so bitter when you were in the enviable position to purchase a new car in the first place? if money is your main prerogative then buying new was probably not your wisest decision. do you also think when fossil fuelled vehicles become obsolete..or vehicles themselves, people will cry foul and demand compensation? (probably) but shit happens and you just need to roll with the punches. you're also talking about trading in your astra...do/did you even love it? sounds like you want to abandon ship when the going gets tough.. reminiscent of something?

after all that has happened with Opel I still decided to purchase my Astra Sport today, sure i'll more than likely lose a packet on it.. but really, when you truly love something you have to see through its faults and appreciate it for what it is.. and what is it? bloody unreal! very unfortunate that more wont experience what we few do.

ChrisMaz
7th August 2013, 11:34 PM
You stated in a previous post that you were considering reneging on your contract once you found out. Obviously you had essentially the same feelings as Dutchy.

It's completely understandable that people are pissed about the whole situation.

dutchy
8th August 2013, 01:47 AM
how can you be so bitter when you were in the enviable position to purchase a new car in the first place?

I don't care much about the money that is lost nor am I not after any compensation (if I were, I wouldn't be posting these things on a public forum). Just venting my anger here about one sided decisions. Have been working for, with and alongside large companies for years ,and still do, so I know exactly how they operate. Its not about the customers, it's about the board, share price and the shareholders. I don't think the big bosses on the board at GM, will sleep any less about this situation or have any reduction in their pay package. Yes, they are making a loss in certain areas so they have to work that out themselves. That loss is largely due to their own wrong doing in some cases. Mind you, nett profit for GM as a whole in 2011 was still 7.6 billion dollars, the highest they had in the companies 100 year plus history, with just under 5 billion of nett profit in 2012. As many have said before, not even 12 months in the market and then complaining that you didn't sell as much as you would have liked to sell. Putting it down to the falling Dollar, fbt proposals, having to put more money into marketing...blah blah blah. That's all bull. They could have better sold the Opels within the existing GM lines at the existing Holden outlets (they can still do that) as a niche model. I feel for all other customers that put their hard earned into a car which has now dropped drastically in price. Someone paying 50.000 plus for a car 2 weeks ago, now seeing it for sale from that same dealer for 34.990 is just too ridiculous for words. I feel for the dealers that have put all that money into building showrooms. I feel for the staff that has been fired. So you would at least expect a letter, proper explanation or anything along those lines instead of a 1 line facebook message saying today we're going to shut the shop. Do I like my Astra; yes. Do I love my Astra; no, but that might change after a tune. Yes I think fossil fuelled cars will be obsolete, in fact cant wait for the day I can have a hydrogen powered car. These seem to be very powerful and their running in some big races in the coming year. Don't think that it can be considered abandoning ship if I intend to sell my Astra. If I do not get the "normal" price, I might not do it anyway. I really hope you like your Astra mate. If you bought a manual, you really need a short shifter.

dutchy
8th August 2013, 01:50 AM
Personally, I would drive it for 3 years and then consider your options then.

You already have taken a massive hit, by trading it in for another new car, you're going to be hit by depreciation again.

The car hasn't changed since Opel pulled out, so you may as well enjoy the car.

Even after warranty, parts will only be a few days away from Autovaux and with the Internet, you can find solve most issues online.

I know John and I see you point obviously. Not everybody will go to the uk for their parts. I'll see how this all pens out.

kovert
8th August 2013, 08:02 AM
Only just discovered this thread. Very disappointing and sad news.

I remember going to the Opel Brisbane grand opening on Sat 1 September 2012 and seeing the current Corsa, Astra and Insignia lineup finally here in the flesh/metal. It was a warm, sunny day. Who would have though they'd be shutting up shop in less than a year.

The general public are still not familiar with the brand. A friend of mine has a Holden Captiva 5. I mentioned it was actually an Opel (Antara) to which they responded with a confused look, "O-pol?"

To help increase brand awareness, I rebadged my Astra SRi with Opel grille, tailgate badge and wheelcaps. With Opel's departure the brand will continue to be unknown.

Most Holden owners are unaware Opel technology has contributed to the Holden brand for many, many years. Credit where credit's due. NB: I am not criticizing Holden as the current Commodore designed entirely by GMH (according to 'Wheels', 2006) is a fantastic looking car and is a pleasant drive.

As someone in this thread mentioned, even Great Wall Motors has survived for a number of years and is still operating in Australia. It is embarrassing for Opel to say the least.

I had hoped to purchase a brand new Opel vehicle from an actual Opel dealership some day. That will probably only happen if I move overseas (maybe Ireland!).

The people who have recently purchased an Opel must be feeling extremely disappointed and let down. Good luck, I and hope you all get the best possible outcome.

SIMid
8th August 2013, 10:18 AM
There was is also another romour floating round the Automotive industry that the remanding stock and stock that is due to land in the ports will be registered and sent to Auction. bare in mind though this may not attract caped price servicing agreements.

Could pick up a fully loaded Astra OPC for $15K ............. hmmmm

JohnBu
8th August 2013, 11:13 AM

you'll have to outbid me at that price :D

poita
8th August 2013, 11:26 AM
I'd be in one next week if they where $15k

kabel
8th August 2013, 02:00 PM

O Rly ?

Wraith
8th August 2013, 02:20 PM
I test drove an Opel Astra Sport as a possible replacement for my Astra AH 2.2 SRi and was unimpressed to say the least. It literally is a Holden Cruze with leather seats and it didn't have my Astra's lovely, fluid steering, nor did the 1.6 turbo impress me much. Indeed the steering was light, vague and wander-y. Of course the Astra IS a Daewoo / Holden Cruze with a different body and interior, so it was always going to be average.

In the end I bought a Hyundai Veloster SR which is also a 1.6 turbo, but the same size as my AH and much lighter than a new Astra, while the Hyundai engine runs a high-pressure turbo with intercooler and turns roughly the same acceleration as an OPC. Also the Hyundai's steering is much better than the Astra (who would have thought), and it came with leather-covered Recaro sports seats and all the other good gear. So for a few thousand dollars cheaper than an Astra sport (and many thousands cheaper than an OPC) it really was excellent value. More importantly it's a great car to drive.

I was unimpressed by the latest Astra being a global platform designed and built in America (as a Chevrolet), in Korea (as a Daewoo), in Australia (the Cruze) and in Europe (Opel / Vauxhall). To be honest the Focus is better and the Cruze, now with 1.6 turbo, is basically the same. So Opel didn't have the product, as much as Astras in the past have been a big-selling model. But it is a shame for those who bought Opel during their brief foray becuase the value of their cars will take a big hit. Needless to say I am glad I went the way I did because the Veloster is a great driver's car with striking good looks, as long as you don't want to carry back seat passengers more than infrequently.

Is that Hyundai really that good ??? I would never have thought so, I've driven 3 models so far that left me totally unimpressed but they were not sports models - may have to take one of these for a test drive if I get the chance can't believe it has similar acceleration to an OPC :eek:

dutchy love reading your posts but please can you use paragraphs LOL my eyes are still recovering from going bonkers reading your last 2 posts :D

caspers turbo
8th August 2013, 02:21 PM
how can you be so bitter when you were in the enviable position to purchase a new car in the first place? if money is your main prerogative then buying new was probably not your wisest decision. do you also think when fossil fuelled vehicles become obsolete..or vehicles themselves, people will cry foul and demand compensation? (probably) but shit happens and you just need to roll with the punches. you're also talking about trading in your astra...do/did you even love it? sounds like you want to abandon ship when the going gets tough.. reminiscent of something?

after all that has happened with Opel I still decided to purchase my Astra Sport today, sure i'll more than likely lose a packet on it.. but really, when you truly love something you have to see through its faults and appreciate it for what it is.. and what is it? bloody unreal! very unfortunate that more wont experience what we few do.

Im with you here hotchip, im in the process of buying an 2013 Arden Blue OPC, fully optioned with aftermarket 20's fitted, i was suposed to pick it up on the 25th of July but due to the windscreen being damaged during the boat ride it got put off for another 3 or so weeks for new windscreen to come from germany, so you can imagine my surprise when i read the news,
however i have wanted an OPC since they announced that Opel delaer may bring them into Aus-that was back in Jan of 2012, so i diligently saved all my money and early June in a postition to pay cash i made enquireis to buy one, 25th of June i paid my deposit for a car i had not even test driven (was overseas) as i already own a 2003 SRiT i knew it was gonna be good, a test drive once i got back into Aus just confirmed what i already knew
My dealer has been fantastic fom the start always keen to help, and now due to the delay i have recieved a huge discount & to tell the truth discount or not i still would have bought the car (they are that good) sure resale is gonna loose some money (all cars do) but i usually hang onto my cars for a long time, 10 years on a EA Falcon, 8 years on my SRiT and i'm only gonna sell that because i am getting the new model

I must say it is a pity Opel are pulling out and it seems to be a very rushed thing, but none of us are privy to the boardroom discussions and they are running a business and have every right to pull out, Holden will take over servicing & parts/warranty as they have in the past, the SRiT was always serviced by Holden and never had any problems.

i do feel for the people that bought cars just before the pull out, to see the discounted cars now must be gut wrenching-however thats life and at least you have a great car regardless, plus if Holdens do take over the OPC models you can bet your bottom dollar they will be badged out as Holdens, those of use that have original Opel will know who we are

As for my soon to be OPC-there was only 5 sold in SA & none will be the same as mine as i have all the options plus some trick aftermarket rims

scamp
8th August 2013, 02:31 PM
sad to hear that something such as getting a new car which should be a pleasure is turning the other way for all new opel owners !!
PS
these long posts are making me crosseyed !!
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/09/27/1226482/269044-spangles-the-cat.jpg

kabel
8th August 2013, 04:05 PM
Im with you here hotchip, im in the process of buying an 2013 Arden Blue OPC, fully optioned with aftermarket 20's fitted, i was suposed to pick it up on the 25th of July but due to the windscreen being damaged during the boat ride it got put off for another 3 or so weeks for new windscreen to come from germany, so you can imagine my surprise when i read the news,
however i have wanted an OPC since they announced that Opel delaer may bring them into Aus-that was back in Jan of 2012, so i diligently saved all my money and early June in a postition to pay cash i made enquireis to buy one, 25th of June i paid my deposit for a car i had not even test driven (was overseas) as i already own a 2003 SRiT i knew it was gonna be good, a test drive once i got back into Aus just confirmed what i already knew
My dealer has been fantastic fom the start always keen to help, and now due to the delay i have recieved a huge discount & to tell the truth discount or not i still would have bought the car (they are that good) sure resale is gonna loose some money (all cars do) but i usually hang onto my cars for a long time, 10 years on a EA Falcon, 8 years on my SRiT and i'm only gonna sell that because i am getting the new model

I must say it is a pity Opel are pulling out and it seems to be a very rushed thing, but none of us are privy to the boardroom discussions and they are running a business and have every right to pull out, Holden will take over servicing & parts/warranty as they have in the past, the SRiT was always serviced by Holden and never had any problems.

i do feel for the people that bought cars just before the pull out, to see the discounted cars now must be gut wrenching-however thats life and at least you have a great car regardless, plus if Holdens do take over the OPC models you can bet your bottom dollar they will be badged out as Holdens, those of use that have original Opel will know who we are

As for my soon to be OPC-there was only 5 sold in SA & none will be the same as mine as i have all the options plus some trick aftermarket rims
I noticed a yellow OPC with black aftermarket rims on Carsales that was from S.A
Thought it looked good.
What brand of rims did you get ?

dutchy
8th August 2013, 04:33 PM
dutchy love reading your posts but please can you use paragraphs LOL my eyes are still recovering from going bonkers reading your last 2 posts :D

Yeah, sorry, I did in wordpad but for some reason copy/paste deletes all of that.

faneca
8th August 2013, 07:22 PM
I noticed a yellow OPC with black aftermarket rims on Carsales that was from S.A
Thought it looked good.

That actually was being driven by Lisa who works for Opel... She was supposed to come out for the most recent cruise but obviously having that kinda news hit a day or two before hand meant she no longer could.

Jen
8th August 2013, 09:12 PM
I have to admit while I still love my AH as a car, this whole thing has tainted my image of Opel as a brand and have even considered putting all the Holden badges back on (I won't though.) I loved and adored my car but now I just don't have quite the same warm and fuzzy feeling about it as I once did because of it. I've just lost the connection to the Opel brand. I say this from a "Holden" owners perspective so I don't blame you guys for not having the same warm and fuzzies as what you did when you first bought the car, in fact I'd be peeved too!

kts350
9th August 2013, 01:00 AM
Ok so I picked up a Malibu CD yesterday for a week having driven an Insignia earlier on this year i can see some similarities, but i can also see some differences as well. For what ever reason the Malibu feels bigger to me on the inside could be the seats which I thought were too snug in the Opel I just dont feel as cramped as i was in the Opel. There were some features on the Opel I loved like the ventilation in the front seats and the adaptive lighting. I much prefer the centre stack of the Malibu i think Mylink is a good thing and much easier to use then the Opel which I found a pain at times.
I will see how the kids and wife like it later on this week as none of them are aware that it's basically the Insignia with a different badge and trim.
The diesel in the Opel was a cracker and I really liked it, I've got a petrol Malibu so can't comment on the diesel in it. Taking into account the similarities and differences between the Malibu and Insignia I don't see the Insignia being worth as much as it is over the Malibu. Specially when you can get a VF Calais for less money.
Lots of people remember Holden selling Astra's there's ****loads of them running around my area, so i don't think people were going to buy opel as a premium brand when there are so many of previous models running around with Holden badges on them.
I haven't driven the new Astra but have driven several of the new Cruzes and honestly knowing what you get in a Cruze Mylink, 1.6T etc, and knowing what you get in the Astra there is no way I would buy an Astra over a Cruze specially at the price difference there was.
Don't get me wrong I am an opel fan but i am a Holden fan as well so I could never buy an Opel over a Holden simply because I know they are basically the same cars and the Holden's have all of the stuff I want in a car and not just some really nifty features and some of the stuff I want.
Plus I own an Astra I know how expensive some of the parts can be for it (yes I know i can import them), now would I go down the same path and get a new Astra when I know the parts will be expensive in the future or go for a Cruze that's built here in Oz and parts will be no where near as expensive.
Opel were on a beating from the start they lobbed with cars virtually the same as what Holden was selling but at a more expensive prices, most people buying cars know sweet bugger all and don't appreciate a brand like Opel or understand what it's about like Opel fans do.
If they thought they could walk into such and open and fragmented market like Australia and start selling lots of cars without any brand awareness they are idiots, yes Holden was selling upwards of 2000 Astra's a month a few years ago but there is no chance Opel was going to start selling that many straight away.
Yes I am very sadden by Opel leaving the market I remember how excited I was when they announced they were coming to Australia I really don't understand why leave after a year when they had other models coming that would probably sell, brand awareness cannot be created over night they really needed to stick around a bit longer.

caspers turbo
9th August 2013, 07:11 AM
Thought it looked good.

yep they are the same rims, Kings Wheels-Matrix, should look hot on Arden Blue

faneca
9th August 2013, 09:41 AM

They should do! They looke very nice on lisas opc.

You will need to bring it out to a cruise when we have the next one!

OPC1
9th August 2013, 12:31 PM

Congrats on the new car, but I question your idea of the OPC's performance. The SR is a second slower (on paper) to 100k's and has less than 75% of both the power and torque (of the OPC), while being less than 200kg lighter (13%). It also has the same problems as the OPC does when the OPC is in normal mode - i.e. very slow throttle response. Switch the OPC to OPC mode, and you have fairly instant throttle - something essential if you're into the ol' heel'n'toe gear changes - but also important if you actually expect quick throttle changes.

When it comes to the car, I liked the seats on the OPC much more than the SR - they looked good, but they just didn't sit in the same way. Doors on the SR looked and felt cheap. And the rear seating was only for people my wife's size (5'2"), not for regular adults. Admittedly, the OPC's rear seats weren't fullsized, but even I could sit in them for a reasonable distance. The dash/console on both was fairly similar in content and idea - both are high on electronics, but low on quality (big plastic dashes don't excite me that much).

Anyway, I chose the Opel, so I guess I'm biased. I didn't choose the RS265, because it had only one setting - balls out - great for the hills and smooth sweeping curves, not so good for communting. The SR didn't have the settings to jump to the next level, and I didn't think I could live with the slow throttle response (I find normal mode in the OPC a pain for the same reason). And I didn't think that the Scirocco (my other choice) had the same road-holding as the other three (OPC & RS265 1st, SR 3rd & Scirocco last).

Bloodnok
9th August 2013, 12:52 PM
Congrats on the new car, but I question your idea of the OPC's performance.

I don't think he was comparing to the 2.0T OPC - but to the 1.6T 'Sport'.

OPC1
9th August 2013, 01:32 PM
Probably he was, but he did mention OPC twice - and I hadn't posted my impressions of the SR. And I had a couple of free minutes at work...sigh!

rocky424
9th August 2013, 02:29 PM
I think the Veloster SR turbo should be compared to a GTC if not an OPC, as they are 3 door hatch (Veloster has a quirky extra door), th 5 door Astra be better compared to an i30 (although it does not have a sporty variant). They are more practical with more doors, space, and more boot space compared to their 3 door cousins.

We all have different circumstances, so decisions will always vary when purchasing a car. Purchase will be justified by how much you perceive the differences in the things you like and don't and referring that to their price.

I have the Sports Tourer 1.6T (select - highest in the ST), which is in a whole other class. There were not many options to choose from in its own class, so I also compared it to a bigger class around the same price range. Important attributes for me were style, boot space, good performance, reasonable fuel economy, adequate driving dynamics, adequate interior space the size of my family, serviceability, package inclusion. I looked at the Holden Cruze Sportwagon CDX (highest for a wagon), Hyundai i30 tourer, Nissan Dualis+2 Ti, base model CRV, base model Rav4, might have considered a renault megane tourer if it was out then.

Needless to say the Opel Astra Sports tourer won. It was probably middle in terms of pricing, and justified why I'd got it compared to the cheaper holden cruze sportwagon, which shares a lot of things. However the differences are more pronounced as you drive it - better suspension (flat on round abouts), way better engine performance, better interior quality, better built (feel of doors, and insulation), just feels a lot more special all around. If they made an sri/sri-V version of the sportswagon, it would probably be a lot closer as that would have the better engine and updated suspension. Lookswise though, prefer the astra over the cruze.

The entry level soft roaders, are all underpowered (in Auto form), and have bare accessories, and ugly looking wheels, I am a fan of the i30, but as a tourer I find the rear is too high and fat. The i40 is way better looking (one of the best in its class) as a tourer, but above my budget when in mid-spec. The dualis+2 ti is nice but tight inside and underpowered.

I really like the Astra ST, it is just a let down that Opel pulled out which would affect its perceived value. I plan to enjoy and keep it for a while.

Bloodnok
9th August 2013, 02:35 PM
Probably he was, but he did mention OPC twice

(goes to check)

... that he did. He's evidently test-driven the 1.6T and compared the Veloster to that, yet he did write OPC when comparing the acceleration. I'd missed that.

and I hadn't posted my impressions of the SR. And I had a couple of free minutes at work...sigh!

And that's how topic drift works :)

OPC1
9th August 2013, 02:48 PM
One that we really did like when looking for a 4-door, was the XV Subaru. The only thing that it didn't have was power. The top of the line could be bargained for at under $40K, with full leather/sunroof/satnav - it's only problem was 110kW/196Nm in a 1400kg body. Even with the 2.5 engine, that would have been OK. A pity - as it's nicely appointed and quite nice on the road.

eddysdaman
9th August 2013, 08:26 PM
plenty of speculation about the return of the 'Holden Astra' at the moment... we can hope!

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/holden-astra-to-return-20130809-2rmlr.html

faneca
9th August 2013, 08:55 PM
Fingers crossed this happens! Would hope that they keep the bashing as it should be but unfortunately I can see them holdenising them.

Can understand those saying that the cars could clash with their Daewoo counter parts but in all honesty on the knowledge of where the car has been designed is enough for me to choose the astra over the cruze, corsa over the barina etc...

I also think the move (IF Holden do choose to sell the Opel models) to sell them would bump up their standings in their quality to department which with the exception of the new vf is fairly non existent anymore.

gravy258
9th August 2013, 10:45 PM
they gave the Opel range a right slating in today's car guide in Herald Sun. (no link as subscription only)

I hope the Astra line up does continue with Holden, I was hoping to buy one in 2015 when there out of warranty and half the purchase price.(just like my current two).

It needs to be mass market to get the aftermarket parts market interested. Cheap brakes/windscreens/filters etc..

2015 must be about the launch date of the all new Astra K as the J will be six years old then !

chris_r
9th August 2013, 11:54 PM
The other car they don't mention in that article that would probably sell well is the Cascada. The Astra convertibles sold well and I'm sure they'd be interested in selling a few of the new model.

dutchy
10th August 2013, 01:18 AM
some of the dump prices at opel brisbane

Corsa 5 door 1.4L Petrol Manual $14,490 Drive Away
Black, Bluetooth, 16” Alloys, 6 Airbags (Z1073)

Corsa 5 door 1.4L Petrol Manual $15,278 Drive Away
Silver, Tech Pack, Adaptive lights, Park assist (Z1048)

Astra Hatch 1.4L Petrol Manual $18,490 Drive away
Silver, Luxury Pack, Bluetooth, 17” Alloys (Z1055)

Astra Hatch 1.4L Petrol Auto $18,990 Drive away
White, 16” Alloys, Voice control Bluetooth (Z1104)

Astra Select Hatch 1.6L Petrol Auto $25,625 Drive away
Navy, Prestige Pack, Leather, Adaptive lights (Z1087)

Astra OPC Hatch 2.0L Petrol Manual $36,990 Drive away
Flaming Yellow, 206kW, 19” Alloys, Ricaro style seats (Z1128

hazrd
10th August 2013, 01:42 AM
Ricaro style seats eh?

DJM83
10th August 2013, 09:27 AM
Speculation is rife that Holden will add a number of Opel models to its ranks, following news of General Motors’ European brand’s decision to shut up shop in Australia.

Drive contacted a number of Opel dealers around the country and we were told on at least five occasions that some Opel models will be sold as Holdens. And the most likely candidate, it seems, is the Astra.

Almost all other parties spoken to suggested that a confirmed decision on which models will be sold by Holden was still some time from being made, but the most popular suggestion was that Holden would again offer the Astra - in particular the high-performance Astra OPC.

One source went as far as saying that “the Astra will be coming back as a Holden”.
Advertisement

Another said: “Holden would be more likely to bring in the [Astra] OPC”.

Yet another suggested the Corsa city car and Insignia mid-size sedan and wagon would not be considered because they would clash too heavily with Holden’s current offerings, the Barina Spark and Barina city cars and the Malibu and Commodore family cars. That same source coyly suggested “there is plenty of speculation around the Astra range”, and that the Zafira seven-seat people-mover - which was due to launch locally this week - may also make its way to the Holden range.

The release issued by Opel Australia last week stated: “Opel will now begin analysis together with Holden regarding the potential for future Holden-badged niche product, in order to ascertain if opportunities for individual carlines exist.”

Opel Australia head of marketing and public relations, Michelle Lang, says that the brand’s parent company in Germany is eager to explore any potential product tie-ups with Holden.

“Opel in Germany don’t want to be walking away if there’s any opportunity,” Lang says. However, on the topic of specific models being sold under the Holden name, Lang says there are no plans close to being signed off.

“It is pure speculation,” she says. “Our German counterparts are simply looking to ensure there are no opportunities, and to make sure they exhaust all avenues.”

Holden corporate affairs manager Sean Poppitt says any rumours of Opel models being sold as Holden’s is “pure speculation”.

“It’s hugely speculative, and it’s far too early to discuss what may or may not happen in regard to Holden,” Poppitt says.

Any move to add the Astra to the local brand’s range would appear counter-intuitive, given Holden currently builds its own small car offering, the Cruze sedan and hatchback, here.

Drive also contacted HSV, which could potentially sell the Astra OPC as its standalone small car offering. However, HSV’s director of sales and marketing, Tim Jackson, indicates there are no such plans in place.

“We don’t talk about anything that may or may not be coming up,” Jackson says.

“We have said if we can find the right solution in the small car space we’d definitely look at it,” he says.

However, it’s believed the costs involved in turning the Astra OPC into a bespoke HSV offering may be too prohibitive for the car to be competitive, not to mention have it sell in any great volumes.

HSV did previously offer the Astra three-door as a small performance model, the HSV VXR, but the sales volumes were not large enough to sustain the car locally.

http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/motor-news/holden-astra-to-return-20130809-2rmlr.html

Maybe olden should rid themselves of the shit heap barina spark and use the corsa badged as a barina. I know it wouldnt happen but id own an Opel astra over the cruze aswell.

Shortstuff
10th August 2013, 10:59 AM
So I've just learnt that the Mokka is being launched on Monday as the Holden Trax. I wonder if this was planned all along or if its an afterthought?

faneca
10th August 2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah Holden was already launching the traxx

Shortstuff
10th August 2013, 12:46 PM
Seems backwards to have two of the same cars planned for the same market by the same parent company.

Adelaide City Opel
10th August 2013, 02:11 PM
Oh they will look AMAZING.... Count down is 6 days and your OPC will be in my hot little hands to be dressed up then photo's will be sent :)

caspers turbo
10th August 2013, 05:21 PM
Oh they will look AMAZING.... Count down is 6 days and your OPC will be in my hot little hands to be dressed up then photo's will be sent :)

Stop teasing me Lisa, i cant wait to see those piccies Adelaide City Opel

dutchy
10th August 2013, 09:28 PM
Ricaro style seats eh?

:lol: yeah, saw that too.

faneca
10th August 2013, 09:37 PM
:lol: yeah, saw that too.

The astra OPC doesn't have recaros, the seats are desiged by OPC. Hence why it says OPC where recaro would usually be.

dutchy
10th August 2013, 09:57 PM
The astra OPC doesn't have recaros, the seats are desiged by OPC. Hence why it says OPC where recaro would usually be.

Ricaro according to them.

faneca
10th August 2013, 10:00 PM
Ricaro according to them.

Just caught on ;) lol

poita
10th August 2013, 10:08 PM

They are Recaro though btw ;)

faneca
10th August 2013, 10:22 PM
I swear i read somewhere that they weren't

hazrd
10th August 2013, 10:28 PM
Got this from a journo review

You might be wondering what’s so unique about the seats. Well, they are OPC’s own design rather than coming from supplier Recaro, as they do in the Insignia and Corsa OPC.

http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2013/small-passenger/opel/astra-opc/opel-astra-opc-2013-launch-review-35072

faneca
10th August 2013, 10:30 PM
I knew I wasn't going crazy

poita
10th August 2013, 11:08 PM
I have read they are Recaro :lol:

imtfbundy
11th August 2013, 08:03 AM
Out of the people that purchased a Opel, have they received a letter from them (Opel) explaining what has/is happening?

caspers turbo
11th August 2013, 09:14 AM
I have read they are Recaro :lol:

you read wrong, mind you half the crap these so called journos write is pathetic, i'm sure most don't bother to check facts

poita
11th August 2013, 09:56 AM
you read wrong, mind you half the crap these so called journos write is pathetic, i'm sure most don't bother to check facts

Some say yes, others say no. I wonder if half of them know left from right tbh

hazrd
11th August 2013, 10:35 AM
I would say call the Opel Australia information line and ask but tbh im not sure they would be very forthcoming with information anyway

dutchy
11th August 2013, 01:35 PM
Out of the people that purchased a Opel, have they received a letter from them (Opel) explaining what has/is happening?

Got the letter on Thursday or Friday.
load of bull.

dsuhiti91
11th August 2013, 02:57 PM
load of bull.

What did you find that was 'a load of bull'?

kabel
11th August 2013, 06:35 PM
load of bull.
Do tell .......................

Shaun
11th August 2013, 07:15 PM
Has anything offical come from Opel to say Holden will be servicing and carrying out the warranty work of the cars.?

2002_XC
11th August 2013, 11:00 PM
load of bull.

Haven't got ours yet

caspers turbo
12th August 2013, 06:21 AM
load of bull.

care to elaborate?

dutchy
12th August 2013, 10:45 AM
care to elaborate?

Here you go.

They talk about their commitment, so which commitment is that exactly ? The law states anyway that they have to honour their warranties so that's what they will do for the coming three years. That they will arrange for Holden to service our cars against the promised price ? Don't see that as their commitment. They still made billions in profit over the past 2 years and for the last 2 quarters, there has been a rise in profit. They seem more interested in the bottom line and their shareholders than the customers. I got an email from someone else at Opel (or should I say Holden.........) explaining some more in detail but that still doesnt satisfy my utter disappointment and is still leaving me with a worthless car. I also went into a third dealer to ask about trading it in, and this time a Holden dealer...... I won't mention their response...... but that just left me spewin even more. They offered dealers to buy back stock so I can make a guestimate that the Astra OPC would be bought back by Opel for less than 39.990 as that is what the Opel dealers are trying to sell their stock for on average.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac8/dutchy_02/OPELletter_zpsa47a7df9.jpg

dutchy
12th August 2013, 10:48 AM
What did you find that was 'a load of bull'?

see above mate.

Bloodnok
12th August 2013, 11:29 AM
Wow, they've filled a page with words, yet managed to communicate so little useful information.

Reminds me of the two pager we got from the insurance company when they declined to assist with the remedial work we had to do when their mechanic broke my car...

dutchy
12th August 2013, 12:16 PM
Wow, they've filled a page with words, yet managed to communicate so little useful information.

yes so that's why I call it a load of bull.

ChrisMaz
12th August 2013, 01:27 PM
yes so that's why I call it a load of bull.

They clearly have an excellent P.R rep / firm working for them. The letter is absolutely "A" grade P.R wank.
I think I'll use it as an example in my next Uni Assignment.

Wraith
12th August 2013, 02:13 PM
Another article - from Carsales, apologies if it's already been put up on another page.

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2013/opel/opel-it-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time-38117?R=38117&Cr=8&surl=aHR0cDovL2VkaXRvcmlhbHN5c3RlbS5jYXJzYWxlcy5jb 20uYXUvRGVza3RvcERlZmF1bHQuYXNweD9Ocz1wX0RhdGVBdmF pbGFibGVfRGF0ZVRpbWUlN0MxJk49Mjk4MSs0Mjk0OTY3MjgyK zQyOTQ5NjcyNzkmVGFiSUQ9MTQwODYxMCZRcGI9MSZzaWQ9MTN GRjc1RTU0ODQ5Jm51bT0yMCZObmU9MjA.

Also looks like some very low pricing going down from dealers around the Country on stock that they have, good for anyone who still wants to get a new Opel...

They should've tried much more aggressive pricing long ago before letting it come to this :(

dutchy
12th August 2013, 02:16 PM
It's very carefully constructed without saying too much, if anything at all. Yes, you'll be covered for the duration of the warranty. I understand they do not have to say or promise more and I doubt they will be releasing more information which is actually useful or new to current Opel owners. The stock they'll buy back from the dealers...... it's not gonna be sent back or destroyed. A quick and simple auction, get anything they can get for it. Yes, there might be reserve prices but hey, 9999 for a corsa or 12.000 for a standard astra ? Have read the comments from people to just enjoy the car. One just can't, sorry to say that. I did have my eyeballs on the Astra OPC in about 2 years time and even if Holden will be selling them as Holden badged cars, I doubt I'll get one.

SIMid
12th August 2013, 04:55 PM
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/motor-news/holden-astra-to-return-20130809-2rmlr.html

Tit-for-tat. Holden are too proud with their Cruze. Even the Friday HeraldSun Motoring section, one of the Journals gave a glowing remark for the Cruze and said the Opel lineup was doomed from the start. I wonder what kickbacks he got. I've driven the Cruze and it gave me an inverted hardon. The Astra is so much better all round.

Just sick of all this shit at the end of the day. A week has passed and my Mrs and I are still saying to each other "WTF? They should had given OZ at least 3 years to make it work." What a cop-out. I get into her car and then feel sad that they are going to be a rare sight. At least I own 3 rare cars now! LOL!

OPC1
12th August 2013, 05:07 PM
To quote Eric Cartman from South Park "Screw you guys, I'm going home!". Which is what Berwick Opel has done. They've divested all their Opel stock and warranty responsibilities and shut up shop. Not surprising, they've got something like 11 different car brands and when the parent company of Opel made the announcement, they got out as soon as possible. I can't really blame them. I would have probably done the same thing in their position.

Talked to the service guy at Opel in (one of the other places), and they'll be handling things like warranty issues until the end of September (rumour, not offical) and then it'll all be down to GMH (or Holden) to do the rest. So I'm going to take my Astra in to (one of the other places) to get the software update to stop the Miles/Fahrenheit/SD Card problem cropping up. And I'll see if I can find out anything else that's not working well in the next month or so - just to make sure I don't have any problems with the new 'owners' of my warranty.

Hopefully my letter will be waiting for me at home tonight.

dutchy
12th August 2013, 05:49 PM
I think my email address has officially been blacklisted by Opel (actually by the GM server); Mail from 210.50.30.229 refused by GM blackhole list. Ah well......

poita
12th August 2013, 06:26 PM
I think my email address has officially been blacklisted by Opel (actually by the GM server); Mail from 210.50.30.229 refused by GM blackhole list. Ah well......

Mine was also, not impressed.

dutchy
12th August 2013, 06:36 PM
Yes, not impressed at all so herewith the reply I received after I sent in an email to Opel regarding falling values mainly due to the fact that ultra low pricing is going on, concerns about residual stock being dumped at low prices, my own problems due to a 65% decrease in value within a 4 month period as well as dealer responses I got about trading in my car;

Dear Peter,
Thank you for the purchase of your Opel and we appreciate your concerns in relation to depreciation and trust income/expense transactions.

After talking to our finance team, I recommend consulting your accountant to gain a further understanding regarding your personal direct or indirect tax situation.

In truth, long term residual values are an unknown quantity, and Opel Australia trusts that our commitment to the brand through continued support of our 3 year/100,000km New Vehicle Warranty, 3 year Premium Roadside Assistance and Capped Price Service Plan will assist the future vehicle residuals once the initial impact of Opel Australia’s announcement subsides.

The decision was made only very recently by Opel's Headquarters in Germany, not Opel Australia, based on the competitive nature of the Australian automotive market, and the fact that these conditions are expected to continue into the future.

There was considerations about Customers, Opel Australia staff, suppliers and Dealers, so all other possible solutions were ruled out before making the decision.

We appreciate your frustrations and disappointment regarding the closure of Opel Australia and hope this email resolves the matters you have raised.

Regards,

poita
12th August 2013, 07:30 PM
Resolves nothing. Seems to be the running theme with any contact from them

Jen
12th August 2013, 07:52 PM
Reads like a typical corporate response, a whole lot of nothing...

imtfbundy
12th August 2013, 08:47 PM
When people ask what I'm driving and I say Opel, they say a what?

Their advertising was not the best to say the least, the thing that annoyed me was the lack of product knowledge. Not knowing what cars did and did not have was appalling. Having someone point out how to put your windows up and down rather then telling you the important things was shocking.

Shaun
13th August 2013, 06:58 AM
I want to know when they will announce a Firm answer for there customers. I have been looking at an Insignia OPC over the weekend. I missed out on it as i was reluctianted due to no hard answer has been given on the Aftersales Support. I dont believe The Dealership line of " Holden Dealers will be taking the responsablity over" There is still a lot to be nutted out over the comming months i believe.

Opel Australia Will still trade in the coming months i think. If the cars on the Dealerships floor plans dont move the will more then likley be sent to Auction. If this option doses happen then im assuming that Selected Holden Dealerships maybe offered to take
stock and move it on at reduced pricing. I cant see Holden Dealerships taking it on at the current RRP . For instance a OPC Insignia sits close to a HSV Clubsport in Price. Holden dealerships are having enough troubles moving the Products they sell in there
product range.

Nor can i see " temp" dealers being apointed as the Current dealer network are bailing out faster then the people on the Titanic !

Its a shame nothing is set in stone. I would really love an OPC Insignia but until they can give me a FIRM SOLID answer then i can not jusitfy spending 50K on a Car with no firm answer of support.

Opel's Lack of commitment in there response indicates to me that they haven't been given any direction with the next step of the process . The best chance Opel has In Australia of survial right now would be for an Importer of the likes Ateco etc to take
the band over or if Holden was to contiune with the product as a stand alone brand but under GMH control.

Opel would need to reduce the amount of Variants sold here in Australia and price the cars at the right end of the scale for there Market.

Regardless of what people here say or think the Astra for example sits in the same Segment as the Cruze. Value for money the Cruze is attractive to buyers because it is built well. packed with Features and is on the market for a reasonable price.

Opel Is packed with Features but for a premuim price. It becomes a no brainer to the average Joe buying his $26000 Cruze for his wife and kids to run arround in against a Higher prices Opel Astra.

I am not Knocking the band in any shape or form. Holden saw where the market was heading about 5 years ago this is why they bailed out of European Built Opel Product and opted for Korean Bult Product. I remember saying this about 5 years ago
that the Quality of the Korean Built Product would improve and the Cruze has impoved over the Viva that the Cruze Replaced. T

I hope for the Opel Customers Sake and for those like myself who are looking to possibly buy an Opel Product before the are gone there is a Definitive Answer.

kabel
13th August 2013, 10:02 AM
Yes, not impressed at all so herewith the reply I received after I sent in an email to Opel regarding falling values mainly due to the fact that ultra low pricing is going on, concerns about residual stock being dumped at low prices, my own problems due to a 65% decrease in value within a 4 month period as well as dealer responses I got about trading in my car;

Dear Peter,
Thank you for the purchase of your Opel and we appreciate your concerns in relation to depreciation and trust income/expense transactions.

After talking to our finance team, I recommend consulting your accountant to gain a further understanding regarding your personal direct or indirect tax situation.

In truth, long term residual values are an unknown quantity, and Opel Australia trusts that our commitment to the brand through continued support of our 3 year/100,000km New Vehicle Warranty, 3 year Premium Roadside Assistance and Capped Price Service Plan will assist the future vehicle residuals once the initial impact of Opel Australia’s announcement subsides.

The decision was made only very recently by Opel's Headquarters in Germany, not Opel Australia, based on the competitive nature of the Australian automotive market, and the fact that these conditions are expected to continue into the future.

There was considerations about Customers, Opel Australia staff, suppliers and Dealers, so all other possible solutions were ruled out before making the decision.

We appreciate your frustrations and disappointment regarding the closure of Opel Australia and hope this email resolves the matters you have raised.

Regards,

A lot of resolution,comfort and closure for you is pouring out of that e-mail !

dutchy
13th August 2013, 01:06 PM
Mine was also, not impressed.

Have sent my email by good old fashion 60 cents mail, now he will get it.

dutchy
13th August 2013, 01:09 PM
A lot of resolution,comfort and closure for you is pouring out of that e-mail !

Yeah, nice hey; "We appreciate your frustrations and disappointment regarding the closure of Opel Australia"

hazrd
13th August 2013, 01:22 PM

Am I showing my age by saying I remember when they were 35c? :lol:

Hopefully they actually read it, instead of receiving it then tossing it out :(

kabel
13th August 2013, 03:30 PM
The picture of the signage says it all really............................
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/11/opel-failure-australia-dissected/

More O Rly here : http://www.caradvice.com.au/245962/opel-to-continue-new-market-push-despite-australia-failure/

I actually saw an Insignia Tourer on Joondalup Drive near Bunnings this morning just after 7.00am, they look good.
Probably the last time I will see one on the roads !

ChrisMaz
13th August 2013, 03:32 PM
The picture of the signage says it all really............................
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/11/opel-failure-australia-dissected/

More O Rly here : http://www.caradvice.com.au/245962/opel-to-continue-new-market-push-despite-australia-failure/

I actually saw an Insignia Tourer on Joondalup Drive near Bunnings this morning just after 7.00am, they look good.
Probably the last time I will see one on the roads !

Silver wagon? Pretty much the Only Opel I saw on the road here before the OPC's arrived.
And I would really... Really like some Opel Signage for the garage..

hazrd
13th August 2013, 04:10 PM
Judging by that photo, you wont be so lucky :lol:

kabel
13th August 2013, 05:16 PM
Dark Grey metallic, lady driver.
They certainly made sure that signage is not going in anyones garage !

scamp
13th August 2013, 06:08 PM
Dark Grey metallic, lady driver.
!

I think I saw it this morning in morley , 1st time I had seen the wagon ... damn didn't look too bad either

nigelh
13th August 2013, 07:16 PM
I would really... Really like some Opel Signage for the garage..

I already asked David about that apparently Opel is buying it all back from them.

adam_92
13th August 2013, 07:42 PM
Yeah I enquired to Adelaide City Opel and they were gonna get back to me

hazrd
13th August 2013, 07:52 PM
All they have done at Berwick Opel is cover the signage up with a tarp. Someone may get lucky if they were to email them

ChrisMaz
13th August 2013, 08:09 PM
If I see a skip anywhere near the dealership I'll definitely go for a rummage....

Shaun
13th August 2013, 08:22 PM
Sounds like to me Dealerships are starting to walk away from the product . I wonder if court precedings will happen from the dealer net work as a collective group

dutchy
13th August 2013, 09:20 PM
Am I showing my age by saying I remember when they were 35c? :lol:

Hopefully they actually read it, instead of receiving it then tossing it out :(

Haven't been here long enough but I think when I arrived, they were 49 cents or so.
They will read it, I guarantee you that and i do hope that Melanie Kerin pops back in to have a look-see........

dutchy
13th August 2013, 09:25 PM
If I see a skip anywhere near the dealership I'll definitely go for a rummage....

guy 27 maybe the friends in brisbane want to part with some stuff. saw the flags still outside last week when i drove past. most of the cars are still there too but its not full of other cars as well. looks more like a used carlot at the moment.

guy 27
13th August 2013, 09:28 PM
guy 27 maybe the friends in brisbane want to part with some stuff. saw the flags still outside last week when i drove past. most of the cars are still there too but its not full of other cars as well. looks more like a used carlot at the moment.

Already asked and was told it's all going back overseas. Might see if I can work something out....

dutchy
13th August 2013, 09:39 PM
Already asked and was told it's all going back overseas. Might see if I can work something out....

yes, tell Chris that I told you to tell him to give you a flag for which I will pay him a dollar.

chris_r
13th August 2013, 11:21 PM

Haha, I would've sent it Registered Mail with the return card. That way, you'd know they will get it. But, given they're supposed to be looking after their customers, they just seem to be screwing them over. My impression of this whole sham is, that they're trying to do as much damage to their own brand that they won't dare launch their product here again, well under the Opel name at least anyway.

But seriously, trying to get 15,000 sales with just 3 models? Who are they kidding? Sure, Astra was meant to be the big seller, but it wouldn't have ever come close to those figures without the extra models they so desperately needed. Had they had launched with maybe 5 models, they'd probably be looking closer to the 2-2,500 sales. Sure, it's not setting the world on fire, but it's a start. You can't tell me that Volkswagen would make 15,000 sales on 3 single passenger car models alone, not when the marketplace is now SUV mad. Mokka could've made a significant difference, but with Holden selling the same car as the Trax and the way Opel priced their vehicles, it would've had little impact. The Zafira on the other hand could've been a handy addition to an otherwise boring as bats**t MPV segment. But I think given the number of Astra convertibles I see driving around, Cascada would've been popular too. Opel, like VW could've also sold commercial vehicles (even if their Movano/Vivaro vans are designed/powered by Renault and built by Vauxhall) to boost sales.

All I see is market potential, so poorly executed and I've gotta wonder whether somebody at GM pulled this stunt deliberately for reasons unknown, because from a company as large as what GM is, I cannot see how they'd still have complete morons running everything after the GFC. You'd think they'd have pulled their heads in and thought properly about launching in Australia.

dutchy
14th August 2013, 12:35 AM
they will open that letter Chris :smile5: , not needed to send it by registered mail, hahaha.

Did you read this piece as well ?

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/57039/opel-to-exit-australian-market

Shaun
14th August 2013, 10:35 AM
Did you keep a copy of the letter you sent Dutchy ?

dutchy
14th August 2013, 06:09 PM
Did you keep a copy of the letter you sent Dutchy ?

Yes I did obviously but am not (yet) going to post it here.

Mr & Mrs Vectra
14th August 2013, 11:08 PM
All of the other Euro dealerships seem to be doing fine. If it was so hard for them why aren't VW or MB closing sites down at the least?

It's a bullshit excuse for anyone to try and use. For Opel to dip their toes into a market for only 11 months and pull the pin shows a complete lack of research and commitment from head office.

People travel far and wide to buy a car if they are genuinely excited about it or if the seller puts across a good front.

It was a totally half assed attempt all round imo, and from talking to many people about it they won't get very far if they come back again.

My 2c, take it or leave it.

Agreed, half-assed is an understatement. I'm 600km from a capital city. We have a VW dealer here. OA & the wider net were the only place I'd heard of Opel in the last year! I don't know what they lacked more, stamina or foresight.

benzino
15th August 2013, 11:35 AM
In Albury, there's vw, Renault, audi, Citroën, alfa, chrysler, mb etc. And the only ad I ever saw was in a national publication (top gear mag) hahahaha. The only astra j I saw in the flesh in Albury was a boring 5 door silver model that I had to have a double take because I thought it was just another i30!

dutchy
15th August 2013, 11:43 AM
taken from a news site;

PSA Peugeot Citroen, France’s largest carmaker is doing well in Australia where the company is launching six new vehicles between now and mid-2014. To support the new model rollout over the next 10 months, the French automaker plans to increase its dealer network from 38 now to 46 by mid-2014.
Considering the fact that Opel announced last week that it would exit Australia with immediate effect, after just twelve months in operation, Peugeot says is actively looking at adding several disenfranchised Opel dealers to its own growing network.
“I can tell you we’ll be targeting Opel dealers who will be looking for a new franchise in the next two weeks,” he said.
“There’s a couple in Brisbane that we’ve spoken to, had spoken to prior to the announcement – we had word that Opel was a little shaky – and then in Sydney there’s potential, we’ve already spoken to a few dealers in Sydney,” he said........

hazrd
15th August 2013, 01:39 PM
That's interesting. Too bad pugs are ugly as sin

dutchy
15th August 2013, 03:29 PM

I bought my wife the 4008 suv and I must say that its quite a nice car to drive and not bad looking at all. Some models are indeed ugly as.

dutchy
15th August 2013, 03:33 PM
“There’s a couple in Brisbane that we’ve spoken to, had spoken to prior to the announcement – we had word that Opel was a little shaky – and then in Sydney there’s potential.........

so if it is correct that Peugeot knew before the announcement, then Opel has sort of lied in all of their communication......

ChrisMaz
15th August 2013, 03:35 PM

Agreed... Have you seen the 3008 baby SUV? So many in Perth at the moment.

hazrd
15th August 2013, 04:03 PM
I bought my wife the 4008 suv and I must say that its quite a nice car to drive and not bad looking at all. Some models are indeed ugly as.

Yeah this one is probably the only exception for me

Agreed... Have you seen the 3008 baby SUV? So many in Perth at the moment.

Looks like a small dog turd with some polish on top.
I should stop ragging on them, its only my opinion, im sure theyre a good car though because there are so many on the road.

It would turn out good though if the former Opel dealers become pug dealers. Opel may have cowered off, but at least the staff would still be in a job, a plus for the aussie workforce !

ChrisMaz
15th August 2013, 04:21 PM
Well you're right, there's obviously a pretty large niche for them if they are performing so well. Maybe there's just to much money around town to really care, who knows.

The two dealers over here were owned by a conglomerate I guess you'd call it, so they are all safe, just heading back to their previous banners. The service staff however, No idea.

hazrd
15th August 2013, 04:25 PM
Yeah thats the same with my local. They run about 6 different lots in the area. Eastside i guess will just go back to trading primarily mitsubishi by the looks of it.

OPC1
16th August 2013, 11:25 AM
We nearly went for a demo 407 sedan (2012) before we decided on the new Liberty for Mrs OPC1. It was gone the next week anyway, but it looked swish.

Shaun
17th August 2013, 06:46 PM
I've been thinking today . What if The Brand was relaunched under the Vauxhall Brand . It could help them relanch under different brand and bring the prices of the cars to a price that's competitive . As Vauxhall has always been seen to be a " cheaper" brand . It would be far cheaper to relaunch the products here could be rebadged and a steering wheel could changed changed to a vauxhall horn pad .

Food for thought

Shortstuff
17th August 2013, 07:29 PM
I think they'd struggle even more if they tried the Vauxhall name. Even less brand recognition than Opel, so it would really be starting from scratch.

Also, if you think about it, why would GM want an extra competitor potentially depriving the already struggling 'local' GM product of sales? They seem to be having enough trouble keeping a single brand afloat!

chris_r
17th August 2013, 08:22 PM
The problem with going with the Vauxhall name, is the fact too many bogans would still confuse the logo with that of Holden.

I still believe Opel went about things the wrong way. For starters, they should've used the already existing dealer network that Holden could've provided to reduce initial costs. Yeah, it might've been competing with Holden's product, but remember apart from some models of the Cruze and the Commodore, everything else Holden sells is imported. From GM's point of view, I reckon they would've seen someone that could've bought a Cruze in an Astra, rather than them going off and buying a VW or some other competing brand. Another thing, they embraced the Astra's legacy in Australia. Not a bad thing necessarily, but the problem with that is, everyone who knows what an Astra is, associates it with Holden and that in turn screams cheap to potential buyers, definitely not good when you're trying to market a "premium" or "sub-premium" product. Unfortunately, not everyone knows that in the days of Holden-badged Opels, Holden were selling these cars at a loss to remain competitive in the market. Why else do you think they dumped the Opels as soon as they could get their hands on some cheap filler product they could make a profit on?