PDA

View Full Version : Hello From VIC

Potato-TS
23rd July 2013, 04:52 PM
Hello all,

I've made a few post's already but I thought I'd introduce myself properly.

My name's Jordy and I've got a 2000 TS Astra City Sedan (Astra G/MK4/Whatever you want to call it haha).
I'm a mechanic but I've been off the tools for a while now, doing web/grapic design (big career change, I know). I love working on cars, but I found I preferred it as a hobby rather than a 9-5. Maybe it was just because I worked at Ford on shit boxes all day haha.

I'm from the Mornington Peninsula area, any one else from down my way? Would love to go for a cruise when the astra is finally done.
You might see me around, my car is pretty easy to spot, the only Astra I've seen with a primer grey roof (fixing sun damage from previous owner)

I think I've rambled on enough by now, I have a tendancy to do that...

faneca
23rd July 2013, 05:00 PM
Welcome along jordy!

Jen
23rd July 2013, 05:34 PM
Welcome Jordy. A lot of us Melbourne members are in the south east. There hasn't been a cruise for awhile due to hectic lives but I'm sure 1 of us will organise something 1 day but feel free to organise something yourself if you like :)

Potato-TS
23rd July 2013, 06:49 PM
Welcome along jordy!

Thanks mate :) I'm quite the fan of your car, from what I've seen that white paint looks immaculate :)

Welcome Jordy. A lot of us Melbourne members are in the south east. There hasn't been a cruise for awhile due to hectic lives but I'm sure 1 of us will organise something 1 day but feel free to organise something yourself if you like :)

Thanks Jen, I'd love to organise something but I can barely keep track of where I took my shoes off last, let alone organise a cruise! Haha

dutchy
23rd July 2013, 06:51 PM
so welcome then Jordy :smile5: re you roof, just put black carbon sticker on it, faneca mod.

mickos
23rd July 2013, 07:02 PM
Welcome mate. Plenty if info on the forum
Did you put on acrylic primer?

Jen
23rd July 2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks Jen, I'd love to organise something but I can barely keep track of where I took my shoes off last, let alone organise a cruise! Haha

Oh I know that feeling!

Potato-TS
23rd July 2013, 11:00 PM
so welcome then Jordy :smile5: re you roof, just put black carbon sticker on it, faneca mod.

Well, it does look great on faneca's car, but my car's black so I'm not sure how that would end up looking. Has anyone seen it done on a black astra?

Welcome mate. Plenty if info on the forum
Did you put on acrylic primer?

Thanks mate, I don't remember to be honest. It was meant to be a weekend job, but then the rain came and I got lazy. I know I used the right kind of primer for the job, just can't remember which one off the top of my head because it was that long ago haha

dutchy
24th July 2013, 08:35 AM
Well, it does look great on faneca's car, but my car's black so I'm not sure how that would end up looking. Has anyone seen it done on a black astra?

I've got a dark grey car and am/was contemplating a carbon bonnet.

mickos
24th July 2013, 09:39 AM
I've got a dark grey car and am/was contemplating a carbon bonnet.

Do it Dutchy, is that carbon wrap or vented carbon bonnet?

I have been thinking about exit vents for some time on mine but just not sure. Don't want to cut holes into it.

Watch out when leaving primer for too long jordy, 2k or acrylic primer has a porous surface that can retain water. Give it 2 dry days before sanding, painting and baking.

dutchy
24th July 2013, 10:41 AM
Do it Dutchy, is that carbon wrap or vented carbon bonnet?

I have been thinking about exit vents for some time on mine but just not sure. Don't want to cut holes into it.

I was bidding on a full carbon bonnet but lost the bid unfortunately. Then after speaking to Guy, I learned that it's actually illegal to have a full carbon fibre bonnet so was shown other options. One of them is some sort of paint, cant remember what its called, but they put a transfer on and then dip it. Retains the original bonnet then underneath. Now the problem is to find someone that had the equipment to do a bonnet as they normally only do smaller items.

mickos
24th July 2013, 12:29 PM
Yes carbon is illegal unfortunately

It's called hydro dipping, most shops only have small baths a bloke in sydney couldn't even fit my rear bar diffuser or boot strip in it never mind the bonnet. But there must be a shop around that could

Carbon wrap might be go as if you get sick of it can be removed, plus saves from stone chips

johnsons
27th July 2013, 01:01 PM
welcome to the forum ,, just enjoy your ride