PDA

View Full Version : SB Barina questions!

JTaylorTeam
1st July 2013, 07:44 PM
G-day guys got a few questions! first off, where can i buy rear beam polyurathane bushes for an SB barina???? i cant find any!

also where can i buy a new steering column for an SB?

is it worth the extra dollars for a K&N air filter rather then paper????

thanks guys.

chris_r
3rd July 2013, 01:30 AM
Go eBay, look under Corsa B in a worldwide search. You'll find a lot more parts that way. Places like LMF Vauxhall are usually worth a look too.

New steering column, you probably won't find one here. Well, it'll probably cost more than another SB if you can. I'd try someone like Pedders and see how you go.

In terms of filters, the K&N panel filter has the advantage of slightly better breathing and it's reusable. Guess it might save a little bit in the long run, but if you're looking for a massive power increase, you'd be sorely disappointed. Also, pod filters suffer badly in the SB/Corsa B, particularly in the twin cams. They suffer a lot of heat soak which kind of robs the car of power. You could build a heat shield around it, but again, we'd only be looking at a minimum power gain with a slightly gruntier intake sound at best.

JTaylorTeam
3rd July 2013, 06:24 PM
Go eBay, look under Corsa B in a worldwide search. You'll find a lot more parts that way. Places like LMF Vauxhall are usually worth a look too.

New steering column, you probably won't find one here. Well, it'll probably cost more than another SB if you can. I'd try someone like Pedders and see how you go.

In terms of filters, the K&N panel filter has the advantage of slightly better breathing and it's reusable. Guess it might save a little bit in the long run, but if you're looking for a massive power increase, you'd be sorely disappointed. Also, pod filters suffer badly in the SB/Corsa B, particularly in the twin cams. They suffer a lot of heat soak which kind of robs the car of power. You could build a heat shield around it, but again, we'd only be looking at a minimum power gain with a slightly gruntier intake sound at best.

alright man thanks. funny you say that i actually work at pedders haha. we list nothing unfortunately. ah well doesnt matter. wouldnt mind a K&N though. thanks mate!

guy 27
3rd July 2013, 06:29 PM
powerflex do uprated bushes for the corsa b.
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/products/Corsa+B-2761/1.html

whats wrong with the steering column? as said probably be cheaper to buy a complete car for that part alone than a new one.

filters. run whatever you want. just check local legalities regarding open pod filter if thats what you want to run.

JTaylorTeam
3rd July 2013, 06:51 PM
powerflex do uprated bushes for the corsa b.
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/products/Corsa+B-2761/1.html

whats wrong with the steering column? as said probably be cheaper to buy a complete car for that part alone than a new one.

filters. run whatever you want. just check local legalities regarding open pod filter if thats what you want to run.

nahh not a fan of pod filters. there is a plastic ring type bearing object that clips in to the colomn housing. it is worn and causes the colomn to move around and knock. cheers mate ive already ordered some powerflex bushes cheers mate!

chris_r
3rd July 2013, 06:53 PM

In SA, as long as you don't drive a Commodore or an import, you can pretty much get away with just about anything regarding filters. Also helps if you don't drive like a tool too. On the legal side of things, I believe that pod filters are generally frowned upon by Transport SA. Panel filters are a better bet along with a couple of simple mods to the air box. In the underside of the air box lid, there's a tube that you can cut and you can also get some flexible air intake piping from Sprints or Autobarn and enlarge the hole on the front side of the airbox, feed one end of the piping through and run it down behind the front bumper for a custom cold air intake setup. Not something that'll get picked up on by the authorities either and is a slight improvement in breathing.

I also happen to have a spare steering column (it's currently in a GSi shell sitting in a paddock 100kms north of Adelaide). Might take me a while to get to the car though and remove it.

JTaylorTeam
3rd July 2013, 07:02 PM
ive already got a cold air set up and it works a treat man! cheeers. any way you could find out if the colomn is in good condition? i would love a decent one cause im quite anal with my maintenance since its going to be my daily for a few more hard driving years.

chris_r
3rd July 2013, 07:20 PM
ive already got a cold air set up and it works a treat man! cheeers. any way you could find out if the colomn is in good condition? i would love a decent one cause im quite anal with my maintenance since its going to be my daily for a few more hard driving years.

Well, I've never driven the particular car it's in as I bought it for parts. As far as I know, it's still in good condition (maybe adam_92 can clarify this, as it was his car once). Otherwise, I guess all I can really do is pull it out of the car and see. But as I said, I need to get to the car first and given how busy I usually am, it's not always the easiest thing to do. There's a power steering setup there too, if you're interested (you might need either a v-belt type pump, or swap your accessories to a 6PK multi rib belt setup).