PDA

View Full Version : Astra or Vectra -- which one do I keep?

Bloodnok
26th June 2013, 08:19 AM
So the time has come -- I need to make a decision.

Do I keep the Astra or do I keep the Vectra.

... or do I get rid of both of them and buy something else?

Points in the Vectras favour:
* It fits rear-facing baby seats with the front seats in comfortable positions. The Astra doesn't.
* It has had a lot of mechanical work done on it -- top end engine rebuild, suspension, etc.
* It is a high spec vehicle -- has ABS, electric windows, steering wheel controls, leather seats, etc. The astra isn't - it's the absolute bottom of the range version.
* The Vectra has a number of cosmetic issues which will count against it if I try to sell it, but don't stop me driving it. So I'd either need to spend a lot more on it to sell it at a decent value, or it will need to be priced low to sell.

Points in the Astras favour:
* It has done a lot less kilometers -- 155000 versus 215000
* It hasn't been in an accident
* It doesn't have a history of costing me large amounts of money -- although that's no guarantee of continued easy motoring. Maybe the next service is where the trouble starts? Who knows...
* It is lighter -- so it runs on cheaper petrol, and gets better efficiency on the motorway

... and I can't decide.

I do love the Vectra -- when it's on the road. Which it hasn't been anything like sufficient enough over the past few years. It's also cost me a lot -- so I'm not sure I trust it. The Astra has been reliable so far, but it doesn't really meet our needs any more. OTOH, we do have the other car, which is big enough for baby seats, and I'm not entirely convinced it's an absolute requirement that we NEED both cars to be able to do baby transport duty -- although it would occasionally be very inconvenient if one can't.

If you want to suggest the third option -- feel free to suggest something. It has to be purchasable outright with whatever I can realistically get for selling both cars (minus whatever it costs to get them into saleable condition). It has to be a manual. It should have ABS, and ideally it should be sufficiently sized to fit a rear-facing baby seat. My problem is when I start looking, I end up looking at Vectras again. Which suggests I should just keep the one I have and finish fixing it...

Opinions please...

dutchy
26th June 2013, 09:32 AM
Trade them both in and have a look / drive at / in the new Astra. You'll be surprised. Some good demonstrator bargains to be had. Big boot, enough space for baby seat.

rocky424
26th June 2013, 10:47 AM
+1 - Have a look at the new astra. I currently have a rearward facing baby seat (infasecure neon), the front passenger seat is still in a comfortable position. So there is enough space. Big difference from my 08 corolla hatch, where I had a smaller rearward capsule yet the front passenger was still a bit cramped for space.

dutchy
26th June 2013, 11:30 AM
I've got a rearward facing infa secure luxi ride and still plenty of space in the front. Just take your seat with you to the dealer and have a test fit.

Bloodnok
26th June 2013, 12:24 PM
We looked at an Astra J for the other car -- but instead decided to get an Octavia. (Now if they had the kind of range and choice that Vauxhall do for the Insignia, it could well have been another story, but that's beside the point). The Octavia is now primarily driven by my wife, leaving me the choice of the Astra or the Vectra.

As we currently have a car loan for the Octavia I cannot get another car loan, so if I went the third option it would have to be something I could buy outright for approximately the value of a 2000 Astra G base model (X18XE, 4 stud version) in good condition, plus a 2002 Vectra B (Y26SE, with nearly every option ticked) with cosmetic issues.

Unfortunately, I haven't (yet) found anything I want in that price range that doesn't have more downsides than either car I already have.

rocky424
26th June 2013, 03:24 PM
We looked at an Astra J for the other car -- but instead decided to get an Octavia. (Now if they had the kind of range and choice that Vauxhall do for the Insignia, it could well have been another story, but that's beside the point). The Octavia is now primarily driven by my wife, leaving me the choice of the Astra or the Vectra.

As we currently have a car loan for the Octavia I cannot get another car loan, so if I went the third option it would have to be something I could buy outright for approximately the value of a 2000 Astra G base model (X18XE, 4 stud version) in good condition, plus a 2002 Vectra B (Y26SE, with nearly every option ticked) with cosmetic issues.

Unfortunately, I haven't (yet) found anything I want in that price range that doesn't have more downsides than either car I already have.

I see. Based on your circumstance, I think safety and reliability would be top priorities rather than comfort and style. given you would want to transport your baby in the car. Between the two, that would be the astra. Though it does have its cons being front passenger seat is cramped, you may only need to carry front passengers with the baby sometimes since you have the bigger octavia when available. 2nd option is, as you said sell both, but get a reliable and slightly spacious 2nd car. Budget would be the constraint.

adam_92
26th June 2013, 04:56 PM
Personally, I would sell the veccy as that costs the most in fuel, rego and repairs. Keep the astra for another 6-12 months while you save as hard as you can. Then sell the astra and upgrade to another car.

Bloodnok
26th June 2013, 06:03 PM
... you may only need to carry front passengers with the baby sometimes since you have the bigger octavia when available.

Being honest -- whichever i keep will be used 99%+ for me commuting. We've only had to use the baby seat in the Vectra once since we've had the Octavia -- and that's because I didn't want to park the (then brand new) Octavia in the rather dodgy suburb the car was going to be left in all day.

Having said that, we have needed to do some 'car shuffling' over that period, and there have been times when I've been without a suitable seat should I have had to rush him to the hospital. So I do want to have a seat in the car -- even if he isn't riding in it most of the time.

As far as my commuting goes, I do 500km a week just driving to and from work, mostly on the motorway. (Did I mention the Vec has a higher ratio top gear and cruise control?)

2nd option is, as you said sell both, but get a reliable and slightly spacious 2nd car. Budget would be the constraint.

Yeah, the cars I want are all about twice the max budget I could realistically get my hands on.

Personally, I would sell the veccy as that costs the most in fuel, rego and repairs.

Insurance (for some arcane reason I haven't figured out yet) is slightly cheaper on the Vectra though. Not enough to balance out the Rego and fuel though, which as you rightly say are more expensive -- probably about $1K per year.

Future maintenance costs are an unknown on both -- the Astra has been good to me so far, but that doesn't offer a guarantee it will continue. The Vectra has cost me a fortune, but the theory says there isn't much left that hasn't had some attention?

Downside of attempting to sell the Vectra is it will need a lot of 'tarting up' to appear saleable -- and even then I don't expect it to be an easy sale, given it's KMs, history and remaining cosmetic issues.

Keep the astra for another 6-12 months while you save as hard as you can. Then sell the astra and upgrade to another car.

... earliest I expect to be able to make any actual savings towards a future purchase is about 30 months away at the current rate. Before that I'll just be paying off various debts.

Vectracious
27th June 2013, 02:37 PM
if the second car will be used for you commuting 99% of the time, keep the smaller car. I fell into the trap thinking I needed a big car just because we had a kid. You don't, one good sized car and a small car for you to commute in is fine.

benzino
28th June 2013, 12:27 PM
The 3rd option is advertise both and let fate decide which one you keep. I have a feeling you will be keeping the vectra :p

Bloodnok
28th June 2013, 09:24 PM
The 3rd option is advertise both and let fate decide which one you keep. I have a feeling you will be keeping the vectra :p

This is true. The astra will be an easy sell -- relatively low KMs, good condition, full service history. The Vec, on the other hand...

dutchy
28th June 2013, 09:28 PM
follow the poll, i think it has spoken :swg:

Bloodnok
28th June 2013, 09:33 PM
follow the poll, i think it has spoken :swg:

The poll clearly says "something else", although I don't actually see a suggestion as to what that fits the requirements. I'm checking through carsales at the moment for prospects...

dutchy
28th June 2013, 10:14 PM
The poll clearly says "something else", although I don't actually see a suggestion as to what that fits the requirements. I'm checking through carsales at the moment for prospects...

Well Vectracious made a very good point earlier.
Ditch the Astra and the Vectra and get yourself you younger car demonstrator perhaps). There are plenty of cars that'll comfortably fit a child seat (our neighbor drives a mini and she's got newborn twins !!!)

Mr & Mrs Vectra
28th June 2013, 10:22 PM
I cannot condone the selling of the Vec, but................I could be slightly biased. :ihih:

If finances are tight, maybe selling the one (Astra?) that nets you the most cabbage leaf might be your answer.

Bloodnok
28th June 2013, 11:38 PM
Well Vectracious made a very good point earlier.
Ditch the Astra and the Vectra and get yourself you younger car demonstrator perhaps).

Can't stretch to an ex-demo I'm afraid -- not even for a Chery J1. Just don't have the money (or capacity to get a loan) right now.

There are plenty of cars that'll comfortably fit a child seat (our neighbor drives a mini and she's got newborn twins !!!)

Here's what carsales is throwing up (in rough order of ascending price) when I plumb my expectations in:

* GF Mazda 626
* HD Mondeo
* Vectra B <-- No point buying another one of these, might as well fix the one I have if I'm considering that
* HE Mondeo
* Saab 900
* Vectra C
> ---- this is where the money runs out, and also where the stuff I might be interested in starts
* GG Mazda 6
* MA Mondeo
* GH Mazda 6
* Octavia <-- Got one of these already for the "other" car
* MB Mondeo

Everything other than the Vec Cs in the affordable section of the list is older than the Vec B that I already have.

A few other suggestions that Carsales inserted into the listings I've discounted:

* Calibra
* Probe
* Cougar
* BMW 3 series compact
* Prelude
* Integra

Now if I could include the results from autotrader, this would be a whole different kettle of fish...

I cannot condone the selling of the Vec, but................I could be slightly biased. :ihih:

LOL, I know that feeling. Sadly I'm rather attached to both of these cars. But one must go.

If finances are tight, maybe selling the one (Astra?) that nets you the most cabbage leaf might be your answer.

I'm coming to this conclusion too. The Astra will sell easily, and at the upper end of the price range for the car. Neither of these things are true for the Vectra.

TBH, if the finances work the way I'm planning, the car I keep just needs to survive until all the various loans are paid off. Then we'll look at getting Melynda the car she wanted this time around (and we couldn't afford), and I'll inherit the Octavia. It's really a case of which one of these two do I keep while the loans are being paid off.

Mr & Mrs Vectra
29th June 2013, 12:57 PM
............................................the car I keep just needs to survive until all the various loans are paid off.

In all fairness, I don't see the Vec V6s (I think you've got a V6) as becoming mechanically unreliable in their old age/higher mileage. Just ask nuggz. It's only the same old gremlins to be faced really.....drop links, ABS units failing, cam sensors et al.

I've never owned one, but I don't think the GF 626 has a bad rep, but then it's not really an improvement on the Vec either.

P.S. I see the poll is swinging slowly in favour of the Vec since I last looked. :yesnod:

Bloodnok
29th June 2013, 06:44 PM
In all fairness, I don't see the Vec V6s (I think you've got a V6) as becoming mechanically unreliable in their old age/higher mileage. Just ask nuggz.

Yep, the Y26SE version. And this one has had a full top end rebuild already, so I can't imagine there is much left needing doing having done that.

It's only the same old gremlins to be faced really.....drop links, ABS units failing, cam sensors et al.

And aside from the Astra not having ABS, that kind of stuff can hit on any car this age.

I've never owned one, but I don't think the GF 626 has a bad rep, but then it's not really an improvement on the Vec either.

No -- the only possible option for a newer vehicle within the affordable section is the Vec C (or a change of requirements).

P.S. I see the poll is swinging slowly in favour of the Vec since I last looked. :yesnod:

Still well behind the 'something else' category - but I haven't seen any interesting suggestions in this thread for that yet, so I think all those votes are disqualified so far. Unless I happen to win the lotto tonight, that is ;)

J
7th July 2013, 12:10 AM
> ---- this is where the money runs out, and also where the stuff I might be interested in starts
* GG Mazda 6

OK I know this is not in Qld, but is this within your budget?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mazda-6-2005-14837879

It looks to be well cared for, with optional factory leather seats (same as in the Luxury or the Luxury Sports). And being a Series 2, it rides and handles even better, is quieter, has a sweet 6 speed manual, fly by wire throttle, ABS and curtain airbags standard, plus better looking (in my opinion!) centre console, front bumper, and black/shadow chrome headlight and taillight surrounds etc. It can definitely fit 3 forward-facing slim-line child seats across the back, and is roomier there than a first gen Accord Euro. No ESP, but it did win the inaugural Wheels Active Safety Program in 2005, beating even the "benchmark" BMW 330Ci in some areas! So it is not as reliant on it as many cars out there that I can name. Plus, it is rated 5 stars and a Safe Pick by the Used Car Safety Ratings 2012 and 2011, if not earlier...

My Mum has a GG Series 2 6 Classic of the same vintage, bought new, that has only clocked up about 90,000km so far. But it has been faultless (besides a squeaking sound at the exhaust flange when idling in-gear that they tried to eradicate within warranty). Handles great even on almost-gone RE001 tyres on 17 inch Luxury Sports rims that I've sourced elsewhere. My only gripes (on Mum's one) are the lack of leather seats, and that it's an auto (the super short first ratio really helps mask the relative lack of torque at low revs compared to, say, a Camry 2.4 from the same vintage...but it does not resolve this issue at highway speeds when carrying 4 or more passengers up a long incline! It prefers to stay in fourth, if not sometimes third, in order to maintain speed...but then again, it could just be my driving, and I have never used the cruise control...). Neither of those are an issue in this/your case!

Bloodnok
7th July 2013, 05:41 PM
OK I know this is not in Qld, but is this within your budget?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mazda-6-2005-14837879

Nice car, and reasonably priced at $8.9K. Fetching it from Newcastle is doable -- I could fly down and drive it back in one hit, I'd just need to pay for the airfare, the petrol, and organise an unregistered car permit. Then I'd need to get it registered here when I arrive. That would require I get circa $10K for selling both the Astra and the Vectra. Unfortunately being realistic (particularly with the condition of the Vectra) it's probably about 2K to 3K out of reach...

dutchy
7th July 2013, 09:48 PM
Have you thought of going to an auction ? You can get really cheap cars there.