PDA

View Full Version : quick question on 1.6!

JTaylorTeam
16th June 2013, 07:56 PM
G-day guys just wondering what model barina's came out with the C16SE????? thanks. :D

poita
16th June 2013, 08:20 PM
Just the SB Barina afaik

chris_r
16th June 2013, 08:26 PM
TR/Mk3/F Astras came out with the C16SE. Only GSi Barinas came with a 1.6, but they came with the twin cam C16XE or X16XE, which do have a bit more punch than a single cam C16SE. You can put the GSi motor in easily enough, but you pretty much need to get the whole car to make sure you get all the good bits, then there's the issue of finding one that's running.

But, I'm sure I've said this before, if you find a GSi with a stuffed motor, strip it for the gearbox, flywheel, clutch, driveshafts, electronics and some other useful little bits off the engine. As for the engine, just find a Z18XE from an Astra, these cost just as much as a good C16XE or C16SE and have a little more kick, not to mention easy to find with ultra low kms.

JTaylorTeam
17th June 2013, 07:08 PM
ok man but what car has the c16??? and im just looking for the most basic engine swap possible. which is proberly gona be another 1.4 i guess ay? every other engine is injected!

chris_r
18th June 2013, 06:36 AM
Most basic swap will be another C14SE. As I said before, C16SEs are in TR Astras, also known as an Astra F or Mk3.

By the way, no Corsa B/Barina SB in Oz ever came with a carby, they're all injected. C12NZ and C14NZ engines came with a carby-like single point injection system. C14SE, C16SE, C16XE and X16XE engines are all multipoint injected.

JTaylorTeam
18th June 2013, 08:30 PM
ohhh ok man thanks i didnt understand the setup. cheers. so the 1.4 with the coil pack instead of disy whats the go there? would i have to get a fuel pump, ecu and other bits for that one to work? cause mine just has the disy. i assume those engines are a bit better?? thanks for your help man!

chris_r
18th June 2013, 10:17 PM
If you have a dizzy, you have a C14NZ with a whopping 40kw at the flywheel. C14SE (which is the other 1.4 with the coil pack) has multipoint injection (ie it has one injector per cylinder, versus the single injector in the throttle body of the C14NZ), has approx 60kW at the flywheel. So yeah, the C14SE is a better engine than what you have. Astra TR C16SE is approx 74kW and the Barina GSi C16XE/X16XE engines are 80kW/78kW respectively. Now these figures are based on the engines being in optimal condition of course. The Astra G/H Z18XE 1.8 is approx 92kW (not sure if that figure applies to it being installed in a Barina, running a GSi C16XE ECU).

To switch to any multipoint engine, you'll need to put in the fuel pump from a multipoint equipped SB, apparently Vectra B fuel pumps will also fit. You may also need the corresponding fuel lines. You'll need the engine harness, sensors and ECU (this runs back inside the car on the driver's side footwell and is often interchangeable between different Barina models, also depends on if you have a transponder key too). Swapping it all over is mostly plug and play (there's a 9pin connector behind the kick panel common to all SB models), but going to the aforementioned immobiliser/transponder issue, you'll probably need the transponder chips and the ring from the donor car too (or if you get an OP-COM, you can reprogram them yourself).

The Barina GSi C16XE twin cam engine (identified by a plastic upper intake, X16XE has alloy upper intake and EGR crap) is probably the best swap you can do short of a Z18XE or C20XE, as it doesn't have an immobiliser system. Also, the C16XE (which has an extra cam, 8 more valves and 11.0:1 compression over the SOHC 8-valve C14SE) was practically a de-tuned race engine developed by Lotus/Cosworth as a little brother to the C20XE.

If you go down the C16XE path, it's best to grab the whole car if you can. Mainly for the fact you'll get the stronger F15 gearbox, driveshafts, clutch/flywheel and 256mm brakes (better than the stock 236mm units, 2.0 Calibra or TR Astra 1.8/2.0 twin cam brakes are better again), along with all the sensors, ECU, etc. If you find one with a dud engine (which most will be, as most idiots don't change the timing belt often enough and they break), don't worry, the C16XE gear will all be useful for a Z18XE swap.

JTaylorTeam
19th June 2013, 07:19 PM
ok man ill try get my handfs on a good reck or something. the C14SE sounds simple enough. what exactly is the transponder key?? thanks man

chris_r
19th June 2013, 07:35 PM
In modern cars, a transponder key involves a sensor ring located around the ignition key and a specially programmed chip in the head of the key. What happens is, the ECU is looking for that signal from the key when you start the car. If it doesn't find that signal, the ECU won't let the engine fire.

JTaylorTeam
20th June 2013, 09:04 PM
oh ok man cheers. thanks for your help!!!!!