PDA

View Full Version : Opel Astra GTC

chrissn89
7th June 2013, 02:40 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on the GTC getting direct injection, fewer KW's, more torque and better fuel economy. With more torque it should give a better in gear drive and direct injection should help spool the turbo quicker ;)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/234453/opel-astra-gtc-new-1-6-litre-turbo-petrol-here-next-month/

An Opel Astra GTC variant powered by a new 1.6-litre turbo petrol engine promising more torque and improved efficiency is set to arrive in Australia next month.

Following the engine’s debut in the Opel Cascada, Opel has announced the all-new 1.6-litre four-cylinder SIDI (spark ignition direct injection) Turbo engine will now power the front wheels of the three-door Opel Astra GTC hatchback.

Producing 125kW of power between 4250-6000rpm and 280Nm of torque between 1650-4250rpm (the latter with an overboost function), the 1.6 SIDI Turbo is claimed to deliver a 15 per cent improvement in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions over its identically sized predecessor.

While the current 132kW/230Nm turbocharged 1.6-litre unit returns figures of 7.3 litres per 100km andCO2 emissions of 171 grams per kilometre under the New European Driving Cycle, the new engine claims 6.1L/100km and 143g/km CO2.

Performance of the 1.6 SIDI Turbo-powered GTC is down slightly from the existing $34,990 GTC Sport model, however, with its 0-100km/h time of 8.6 seconds and a 219km/h top speed coming up just short of the old car’s 8.3-second and 220km/h ability.

Opel Australia’s Michelle Lang told CarAdvice that Opel Astra GTC Sport models powered by the new 1.6-litre engine were expected to start arriving in mid July, but would not confirm to what degree prices would be affected as a consequence of the update.

The new engine was initially revealed in April, along with plans for a new eight-speed automatic transmission.

eddysdaman
7th June 2013, 02:52 PM
I'm unsold on direct injection for fuel economy. Power and fuel burn efficiency, but not frugality.

So far (2100kms) my OPC is averaging 11.6l/100km.

I did a 200kms on freeways (103km/h cruise control) the other day and only managed 10.4l/100km on a fresh tank of juice. Granted it's still wearing it - but right now this thing is costing me a fortune in drink. I got 10s in city driving in the old Z20 VXR and more like 6s for FWY. This one was meant to be even better....

chrissn89
7th June 2013, 03:33 PM
Should hopefully get better, my partners 2010 Mazda3 MPS is direct injection and it sits around 7.8Ltr/100km. So you would hope it comes down a bit could you be using the right pedal more often now just enjoying it more.

Paul_OH
7th June 2013, 11:26 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on the GTC getting direct injection, fewer KW's, more torque and better fuel economy. With more torque it should give a better in gear drive and direct injection should help spool the turbo quicker ;)

According to this article: http://www.caradvice.com.au/225368/opel-details-new-1-6-litre-turbo-petrol-eight-speed-auto-on-the-way/

The 125kw DI 1.6 is to replace the existing 1.4 and the existing 1.6 will be replaced by a 147kw 300Nm 1.6 DI unit. That's the way!

I had 1.6 GTC for an overnight test drive and my only problem with it was it didn't have enough power - I recall saying to the Sales Rep that it needed another 25kw and 50Nm and it would be just about perfect. That's when she told me that they were finally bringing in the OPC :ihih:

chrissn89
8th June 2013, 08:38 AM
That makes more sense then should have always had more power from the start.

gavs
8th June 2013, 08:46 AM
I'm unsold on direct injection for fuel economy. Power and fuel burn efficiency, but not frugality.

I did a 200kms on freeways (103km/h cruise control) the other day and only managed 10.4l/100km on a fresh tank of juice. Granted it's still wearing it - but right now this thing is costing me a fortune in drink. I got 10s in city driving in the old Z20 VXR and more like 6s for FWY. This one was meant to be even better....

My polo GTI averages 5.3l/100km on freeways with direct injection. The fact that a Porsche 911 carerra now has better fuel economy according to the ADR approval test than a 4 cylinder Camry due to direct injection doesn't convince you? The theory is less fuel is needed for the same power delivery due to the direct injection into the combustion chamber being controlled far more precisely. Coupled with variable valve timing an you can considerably drop fuel consumption. The other issue is that you get more carbon deposit build up so you have to make sure the right oil is being used to clean the carbon out of places it shouldn't be...

metry
8th June 2013, 12:48 PM

I did a 200kms on freeways (103km/h cruise control) the other day and only managed 10.4l/100km on a fresh tank of juice. Granted it's still wearing it -

it will come down once worn in. my mums lancer (2008 vrx) did the same. we were getting 12s in the city when we bought it now we average around 10 depending on whose driving. all city driving and the car is an auto

Milesy
8th June 2013, 07:29 PM

I couldn't care less about fuel economy. Basically you don't buy a performance car for economy and as long as it puts a smile on your face when you put your foot down that's all that matters IMO :-)

JohnBu
8th June 2013, 07:55 PM

I'm also not getting good economy with DI on my GTI.

Gets about 1L per 100km more than my Astra G SRiT.

It should in theory have similar if not better economy.

Another downside of DI is oil burning.

I have to top the GTI up twice between 15k services. Astra never burned oil.

Porsche DI engines using 1L per 1,000km is considered within spec.

A lot of VAG DI engine use oil.

My boss just traded his BMW in for a Merc partly due to the oil consumption 1l per 3000km. This was his 3rd new BMW in a row. He still thinks about the new 4 series, but was unhappy with BMWs response to the oil consumption issue.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

JohnBu
8th June 2013, 08:01 PM
I couldn't care less about fuel economy. Basically you don't buy a performance car for economy and as long as it puts a smile on your face when you put your foot down that's all that matters IMO :-)

While I don't buy cars based on economy alone, it's still in the back of my mind when buying one.

All things being equals I'll buy the car which uses less fuel.

My Volvo sucks it down like its going out of fashion.

I not sure how these manufacturers drive these cars to come up with the urban/extra urban fuel economy figures- must be downhill all the way.

It seems the gap between claimed and actual real world is widening.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Paul_OH
8th June 2013, 09:00 PM
On the flipside, my 2008 GT TSI has used less than 1L in 95,000km between oil changes (and I suspect that was only when the dealer didn't fill it to the correct level) and I use approx 6.31/100km on my dail commute which is mixed freeway/urban - much less than the manufacturer quoted 7.7l/100km.

dutchy
8th June 2013, 09:04 PM
i've now done 2000 ks on the new astra and usage has come down significantly from the day i picked it up. its not yet on the usage figures what opel claim but its not far off.

eddysdaman
9th June 2013, 03:23 PM
It seems the gap between claimed and actual real world is widening.

This.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the car is a bunch of crap or that I don't like driving it. I'm just saying, they set my expectations with a figure. When I can't even get close to that figure when I'm being a good boy - how can I not be a little hypocritical?

Milesy
9th June 2013, 06:01 PM
You will never get anywhere near the ADR sticker consumption figures. They are laboratory based on very specific criteria (road gradient, temperature, etc etc) and car makers calibrate a test car to ace this test to get the lowest sticker value. In no way does this approximate anything like reality and at a stretch you could possibly only use as a directional guide when comparing vehicles, but this is still unreliable. Anyway if you expect to get it in real life you're dreaming.

rocky424
10th June 2013, 04:34 AM
I agree that the ADR rating should only realistically be used as a comparison between cars and not as a true indicator of the car's fuel efficiency. You'd need a lot of motorway driving between 80-100 kph to get to those ADR.

sooty
10th June 2013, 10:02 AM
That entirely depends on the car, I regularly achieved lower than or equal to the quoted figures when my car was stock. And I'm talking every tank, not just when I did a hwy trip

Ice
10th June 2013, 10:23 AM
That entirely depends on the car, I regularly achieved lower than or equal to the quoted figures when my car was stock. And I'm talking every tank, not just when I did a hwy trip

My c180 averages 10ltrs and official figures are in the low 6's combined. Nadines B200 high 5's and also close to 10ltrs...from a 1.6 turbo. The golf tsi I hired recently was close to spot on....im presuming figures from all manufacturers are measured the same way.

glider
10th June 2013, 10:39 AM
All comes down to driving habits and gear selection is a big part of it. I've found staying out of 5th until highway speeds is actually returning lower figures than driving around in 5th at say 60

Consistently get 700km out of my Ute with chip and 3" exhaust

MYVESSV8
10th June 2013, 10:13 PM
performance car! and you want economy (would be nice) I have a 6litre VE v8 and get 8.3lt/100klm on freeway and about 12lt/100klm around town pretty good considering it weighs 1800kg,and has 250rwkw and 650nm torque, wifes astra we have just bought TS 5 door hatch is averaging 7.69lt/100klms around town yet to see long trip so should do better, my daughter has same car and her recent trip to mackay was about 5.6lt/100klm (her town average is similar), as glider says above get the right gear for the situation and the engine will work at its most efficient, new engines need a bit of break-in time so they should come down

dynamik
11th June 2013, 09:56 AM
[Correction .. my OPC .. uhuh] got 2500 on the clock now and I'm averaging about ~8.5L/100Km .. that's while giving it a bit of the fast pedal on occasion too.

The eco auto-stop is a great feature for traffic lights (turn it off in crawling traffic tho).

Also I've found with cruise control it's often better to ride in 5th (with more torque) than 6th (lower ratio) because the cpu needs to dump less fuel in the engine to cope with the small gradients on the road etc. (~70kph) .. the computer will prompt you to shift up but just ignore it and watch the average L/k instead.

Worth mentioning that you'll be much better off on a highway than a freeway too... On the freeway at 100kph I'm using ~10L but taking backroads 60-70kph and auto-off at lights it's more like ~7 or 8L

hazrd
11th June 2013, 09:56 AM
12/100 around town for a 6litre? wow thats awesome!! I thought it'd be way higher than that lol
Your wife's TS sounds about right, i average about 8.5 in my TS but only because im in stop start traffic every morning/afternoon.

Anyway, I digress... The GTC figures seem pretty impressive. I would have been keen on one in the future but still just doesnt have enough punch for me. I'd rather save a few extra pennies and go down the OPC route (or similar) personally.

JohnBu
11th June 2013, 11:27 AM
All you people getting these awesome figures, are you basing your consumption on the car's display or working it out manually (ok you can use a calculator if you want you lazy sods!)?

My c180 averages 10ltrs and official figures are in the low 6's combined. Nadines B200 high 5's and also close to 10ltrs...from a 1.6 turbo. The golf tsi I hired recently was close to spot on....im presuming figures from all manufacturers are measured the same way.

That's pretty crap isn't is! While 10L/100km is pretty normal, I'd be upset if it was suppose to be under 6!.

It's like ordering a Russ1an bride who claimed to have D cups and then arrived at the airport with B cups. Nothing wrong with B cups, but I'd be slightly disappointed if I was excepting a larger set.

dutchy
11th June 2013, 02:24 PM
It's like ordering a Russ1an bride who claimed to have D cups and then arrived at the airport with B cups. Nothing wrong with B cups, but I'd be slightly disappointed if I was excepting a larger set.

:rofl1: go to realdoll.com , then you get exactly what you want.

MYVESSV8
11th June 2013, 09:52 PM
yes not too shabby, has ben retuned, exhaust, otr etc etc (they run rich from factory) somewhere 14lt/100klm, was amazed at the difference it has made and throttle response is unbelievable, very impressed with the astra overall, wife has some heavy peak hr in the mornings but not always so lucky, yet to have a look at the new astra but from pics looks nice, someone will come up with a retune and get great numbers etc soon so lets see, except for the lack of grunt (well mine in 3 times the size) they are great cars hopefully the new ones keep that going
12/100 around town for a 6litre? wow thats awesome!! I thought it'd be way higher than that lol
Your wife's TS sounds about right, i average about 8.5 in my TS but only because im in stop start traffic every morning/afternoon.

Anyway, I digress... The GTC figures seem pretty impressive. I would have been keen on one in the future but still just doesnt have enough punch for me. I'd rather save a few extra pennies and go down the OPC route (or similar) personally.