PDA

View Full Version : NSW RTA Wheel Size Regulations & Insurance Companies

Marty
4th January 2005, 02:27 AM
Can someone please point me in the right direct in regards to what size alloy wheels I can upgrade, from my 16 x 6 inch stock alloy wheels, and still keep it legal without requiring an engineer’s certificate?

I tried searching the RTA website with no success.

Also, what insurance companies in NSW are flexible with alloy wheel upgrades?

I am currently with NRMA and they will only let me increase the new alloy wheel width to 6.5 inches. :evil:

There is no one that manufactures 17 x 6.5 or 18 x 6.5 alloy wheels, especially with a PCD 5x110.

I am mainly looking to upgrading to 17 x 7 or 7.5 inch alloys or maybe 18 x 7 inch alloys.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

astra_city
4th January 2005, 03:19 AM
the rule has been 2 inch bigger diameter, 1 inch wider from what is on your tyre placard. So if it says 16x6, you should be able to go to an 18x7 rim. However, I believe the ADR that governs this is being removed this month (check their website), and I can't find what the new rule will be that replaces this. Sorry, can't help more than that at the moment.

As far as insurance companies, not too sure about in NSW, but I'm with SGIO and they let non-turbo models go up to 7.5" wide - that's their only rule. However this may be different between states, as I'm in WA.

Good luck.

Wattie
5th January 2005, 09:10 PM
i have a vectra, with 18x7s, insurance with nrma, they had no problems with diameter, as long as they were no wider than 7in and offset of between 40 and 49mm hope that helps.

freaktown
5th January 2005, 09:41 PM
alot of vaults come in 17 and 18 by 6.5 and 7 inch!

and as for insurance companies some time and the yellow pages should yeild some results!

EGG80X
5th January 2005, 11:53 PM
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_dl1.html

u can download the fact sheet

NUTTTR
6th January 2005, 12:56 AM
Speak to NRMA again, i was with them and i've got astra turbo mags (17x7) and because the car's are the same and i could have ordered the car with them for extra $$$ it is ok....
Not sure about other brands, but that's why i got stock turbo ones, because i knew i could use them :)
As for width, it's 1" wider than you currently have (with the RTA) and no more than 15mm of change to the rolling radius or something stupid :)
As for the "you can't increase the track width" you can, but by the time you reach the limit set by the RTA (12.5mm more per side outside of manufactures maximum) your mags will hit the guards BIG TIME by that point! So only the width.......
Have a word with NRMA, AAMI also insured me with the same mags :)
Aaron