PDA

View Full Version : Water inside doors! Is this normal?

adclawrence
1st June 2013, 07:07 PM
Hi.

I pulled off the front door cards of my Astra G today and discovered it to be quite wet inside the doors, behind the speakers.

I've just installed new speakers and the rear of them are drenched in water. Is this normal for water to be getting into my doors? It's recently rained heavily and there's no water in the cabin or on the door cards, but I'm concerned that this will destroy my speakers.

https://fbcdn-photos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/935724_198975100252707_681976057_n.jpg?dl=1

guy 27
1st June 2013, 07:15 PM
Check the rubber seal at the bottom of the window on the outside is tight against the window and free of dirt/cracks.

Shouldn't be getting any water in unless it's absolutely hammering rain on it. But even then it shouldn't really be coming in if the seal is good.

adclawrence
1st June 2013, 07:34 PM
Yeah it's been mercilessly bucketing down for a couple of days and the water is mostly coming in from the sides of the outer seal. The window bit in the centre has a few little drops of water seeping through but I'm just concerned about my speakers being damaged (they weren't cheap) and the sound deadening being damaged. I've put too much effort into this car and I'm freaking out about it too much.

guy 27
1st June 2013, 07:52 PM
Make sure the drains at the bottom of the door are open so the water can get out.

stevedee3
2nd June 2013, 04:36 PM
Make sure the drains at the bottom of the door are open so the water can get out.The fact that there are drain holes in the doors would suggest to me that it's designed to be allowed to get wet.

guy 27
2nd June 2013, 04:48 PM
The fact that there are drain holes in the doors would suggest to me that it's designed to be allowed to get wet.

mine as still sealed and I've never had any water get in them.

They are just a required safety thing they put on just incase water does get in.

adclawrence
2nd June 2013, 05:06 PM
I might even just go to a garage and get them to replace the window seals.

If water isn't meant to be getting into the doors, then my seals are probably bad then. There's no obvious cracks or anything. But 10 years later, I'd imagine they'd start to deteriorate.

adclawrence
2nd June 2013, 05:07 PM
And I've made sure the drain holes aren't blocked, but there is a rubber thingo sitting inside the doors covering these holes. I'd imagine these are to stop water from going up those holes whilst driving in the rain/washing

guy 27
2nd June 2013, 05:10 PM
try this out first

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/303_products/aerospace_protectant

its an amazing product. I use it on all my rubber seals every few months (have been doing for several years) they stay like new.