PDA

View Full Version : 3-door forward side window cost

pd-xc-72464118
28th May 2013, 07:34 PM
Hi All

Just got home from work via the train station and some a hole has smashed in my side window to steal a whopping few coins and that's it! Probably junkies, bastards!

Anyway, does anybody have tips on how much a new window should cost, you know, so I can make I don't get ripped off when I get one tomorrow?

Being a hatchback/coupe I know the doors/windows are larger than normal but hopefully this doesn't double the cost or anything.

One last factor is electric windows. Does anybody know if electric windows adds to the cost?

Thanks in advance everyone!

pd

I was going to add this poll but it timed out. Feel free to nominate your choice(s) in a reply!

A-holes who break into cars should:

1 - Be forced to work at a car detailing shop for 3 months
2 - Have a finger chopped off!
3 - If male, face up to the owner kicking them in the balls 5 times within 10 minutes
4 - If female, have their head shaved (but what about those who are already bald? HMMM)
5 - Be forced to clean public toilets (if any can be found) for a month
6 - All of the above
7 - All of the above and then a special punishment of your choosing!

If any of those options sound unreasonable, think back to when your car was last violated, if ever, and you'll probably understand :)

guy 27
28th May 2013, 07:41 PM
New oem is a few hundred.
2nd hand can be had for under $150

don't go after market. I'm yet to see one that fits properly.

as long as your replacement is from a 3dr it will fit. electric or not.
easy enough to change over. Just need to remove door card. undo the 2 torx bolts holding the window to the rail. remove window. reverse to refit.

pd-xc-72464118
28th May 2013, 07:48 PM
New oem is a few hundred.
2nd hand can be had for under $150

don't go after market. I'm yet to see one that fits properly.

as long as your replacement is from a 3dr it will fit. electric or not.
easy enough to change over. Just need to remove door card. undo the 2 torx bolts holding the window to the rail. remove window. reverse to refit.

Thanks guy. So if I'm to go the new route and have it fitted, I'm probably looking at $350 maybe? More expensive than a windscreen? Nuts.

guy 27
28th May 2013, 07:55 PM
Probably won't be let with much change from 500 if you're lucky going with a new one and getting someone to fit it. (thats if prices on the barina ones are similar to the astra)

Its not a big job to swap it yourself.

I had to get a replacement for my astra because the mower threw a rock straight into it. Got a 2nd hand one that was in pristine condition for $100.

pd-xc-72464118
28th May 2013, 09:09 PM
Probably won't be let with much change from 500 if you're lucky going with a new one and getting someone to fit it. (thats if prices on the barina ones are similar to the astra)

Its not a big job to swap it yourself.

I had to get a replacement for my astra because the mower threw a rock straight into it. Got a 2nd hand one that was in pristine condition for $100.

Thanks guy. I recently got some torx screwdrivers. If I can find them I might have a go at -pulling the inside panels off. Hopefully there's a nice how-to here in opelaus land. Guess from there I'll see if my very amateur mechanical skills are up to the task. You really think someone will charge in the region of $200 ($500 less the $300 cost you suggested beforehand) to fit it? Guess I'm in the wrong game if that's true.

Maybe Geelong FC will finally be forced to go looking for a sponsor like every other club in the AFL!

guy 27
28th May 2013, 09:11 PM
if it shatters when removing there will be a big mess to clean up thats why they may charge so much to install as cleaning takes a while.

pd-xc-72464118
28th May 2013, 09:50 PM
if it shatters when removing there will be a big mess to clean up thats why they may charge so much to install as cleaning takes a while.
Interesting theory. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is already 90% shattered and destroyed. I've cleaned up some of it. Guess if I get inside it, someone might go easy on the cleaning factor in the pricing.

J
29th May 2013, 05:46 PM
pd-xc-72464118: Just make sure that whoever is cleaning it is actually picking out all the little bits that may have fallen into the gap where the side window slots in when it is down, even if it means having to vacuum them out. This will ensure the rainwater channels are not blocked, which may otherwise cause the door to rust in the longer term! :yikes:

guy 27
29th May 2013, 06:00 PM
Just swapped the window in my astra today. 30 minutes of work and an hour of cleaning.

pd-xc-72464118
29th May 2013, 07:26 PM
pd-xc-72464118: Just make sure that whoever is cleaning it is actually picking out all the little bits that may have fallen into the gap where the side window slots in when it is down, even if it means having to vacuum them out. This will ensure the rainwater channels are not blocked, which may otherwise cause the door to rust in the longer term! :yikes:

Thanks for the advice J.

pd-xc-72464118
29th May 2013, 07:32 PM
Just swapped the window in my astra today. 30 minutes of work and an hour of cleaning.

Well, you're a lot more competent than I am. I had a go, eventually got everything but three of the top clips just wouldn't budge, Followed a guide from one of our helpful members here but it didn't really communicate that more than likely, clips will be busted and it really isn't quite as easy as it is made out to be. At least not for me. That said, I've almost nil previous experience.

It's also, as I actually expected, incredibly easy to cut, bend, damage the aging plastic no matter how gently you try, I reckon.

The guide didn't factor in a clear plastic seal either. This covers the entire inside of the door and thus prevents any access to the innards. Probably easy to remove but I'm guessing it's there fore a reason.

Oh well, just have to fork out more cashola to someone to repair it properly. My first foray at amateur repair is a failure :(

Thanks anyway for the advice and thoughts.

pd-xc-72464118
12th June 2013, 09:01 AM
Ended up sorting this one out for $330 fitted at my place by a National Windscreens sub contractor (I presume).

Even better I emailed them via their website contact form and they got back to me within a few hours. None of this 24 hour turn around for web inquiries that most places are lucky to support.

All they needed was a car port to do the job whilst it was raining.

guy 27
12th June 2013, 09:05 AM
Great price. Did they use an OEM window or aftermarket?