PDA

View Full Version : 3M vinyl wrap. What do you think?

tbclose
21st May 2013, 09:40 PM
I've seen more and more examples popping up of people opting for car wrapping in favour of getting new paint jobs. Just putting it out there, I'm very tempted to try the black wrap out on the roof of my Vectra CDXi but I thought it couldn't hurt asking around for opinions. Apparently 3M 1080 vinyl is the best way to go due to its quality and design.

faneca
21st May 2013, 09:43 PM
Think the 3m wraps are the one of the best you can buy and last the longest too.

I used it on mine when I did my roof black and its good so far. Lol.

tbclose
21st May 2013, 09:44 PM
Did the black roof come up well and was it pretty straight forward to apply properly?

faneca
21st May 2013, 09:55 PM
I did it myself without help so it could have been done better, but it turned our really well imo considering hi haven't any experience in the area ..

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/aaronfaneco/b459c56d-2f77-418d-928c-f9e4865bbcf8_zpsbf31e163.jpg

haven't taken too many pics of the car from an aerial view but here is one to give an idea.

tbclose
21st May 2013, 10:35 PM
Cheers, that looks awesome! I'm wanting to do it myself and buy in bulk with a couple of mates. I have a bit more confidence in it seeing that I'm not the only one considering doing it without pro help and when the time comes I reckon I will follow through with the idea.

I think I've found a good source for it too.

http://www.premiumautostyling.com/3m-gloss-black-wrap-vinyl-scotchprint-1080-series/

faneca
21st May 2013, 10:40 PM
That's a pretty decent price and comes with everything you'll need which is good, I do suggest having help and it will take a few hours to do and make sure you have it the way you want it so set aside a full day for installation.

Brando47
21st May 2013, 10:45 PM
3M is the best when it comes to vinyl, worth it to pay the bit extra. They do make vinyl specifically for car wrapping, it can be stretched around a bit more so it can go over curves etc. Use some water, detergent and methylated spirits on a spray bottle to spray on the surface first, and it let's you shimmy it around a bit

tbclose
21st May 2013, 10:45 PM
Good advice. I will have friends to help me out without a doubt. Sounds like it'll be a good weekend job.

tbclose
21st May 2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks Brando47, I will definitely use that during the surface prep. I won't be touching anything but 3M 1080 by the sounds of it.