PDA

View Full Version : Affixing eyelids to headlights

The Sentinel
31st December 2004, 12:04 PM
I've got my eyelids painted..... can anyone tell me the best best adhesive to use to stick them to my headlights?

I was going to use selastic but thought I'd see what others have used.

Cheers,
T.

mr_astra_retired
31st December 2004, 02:19 PM
http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=3788&highlight=eyelids

The Sentinel
1st January 2005, 10:03 AM
Cheers :-)

Will post pics when I've fitted them....

Dee
1st January 2005, 12:46 PM
ohhh about time you got them tony ;)

will be VERY sexy soon

~Kupu~
1st January 2005, 08:19 PM
let me know when ya want me to pop over with the digi to take some of those pics for ya :D cant wait to see them :D

The Sentinel
2nd January 2005, 11:51 AM
Will do... thanks Kel

Donna: I've had them for a while now... have just been too busy to put them on :-)

imay
2nd January 2005, 12:16 PM
Test fit, test fit and then when you reckon it's right, test fit again. Make sure both sides sit the same!
When you are happy with the fit, add a healthy spread of silicone (clear preferably) to the underside of one of the eyelids and refit. Have someone hold the eyelid down in place while you clean up with a turps rag any silicone that oozes out. Make sure you get it ALL off the headlight lens and paint.
When you are happy that you have cleaned it all up, apply strips of wide masking tape over the guard/bonnet and headlight to hold the eyelid in place for the next few hours (the longer the better, let the silicone cure).
Repeat for the other side. Check that the eyelids are still sitting the same.
When the silicone is set, remove the tape. Recheck that there are no gaps between eyelid and headlight (re-silicone if necessary) and clean up the whole area with turps. Then re-clean the whole area with Prepsol to clean up the turps. Make sure the headlight lenses are clean.
When the silicone is fully cured (be generous and give it a couple of days) give the car a good wash and re-polish.

And let us know how to get on!

Dee
2nd January 2005, 09:02 PM
Will do... thanks Kel

Donna: I've had them for a while now... have just been too busy to put them on :-)

yeah that sounds like you ;)

The Sentinel
3rd January 2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that imay... I plan on fitting them in the next day or two.

The Sentinel
4th January 2005, 12:56 PM
Just reading through this again now... I'll have a look at this today...

I sure am nervous about using turps and prepsol to clean up the lights.... . :shock:
I'm so paranoid about getting it on the paint!!!!!

dazza015
4th January 2005, 12:59 PM
it will look rather delightful when this project has finished Tony and I am getting the excited jibbers just thinking about it.

~Kupu~
4th January 2005, 01:12 PM
Mask the lower section of headlights up completly with plenty of masking tape and newspaper, that way any silicone that oozes out will stick to the news paper and not the headlight itself, therefore less cleaning required :wink:

imay
4th January 2005, 01:15 PM
I sure am nervous about using turps and prepsol to clean up the lights....

I'm so paranoid about getting it on the paint!!!!!

I was informed by the spray painter that painted my eyelids that turps is about the only thing to use to clean up silicone, and shouldn't harm the paint or polycarbonate. You don't need a lot, just enough to clean up the silicone!
And prepsol is, as far as I have been informed, again safe for paint and polycarbonate lenses. Again, you don't have to bathe in it!
Make sure you give the whole area a good clean up when you have finished. My Astra suffered no ill effects using this method and my eyelids are still firmly fixed in place, even after several jaunts at highway speed interestate.

Anyone else got an opinion on this method?

Dee
4th January 2005, 01:20 PM
Mask the lower section of headlights up completly with plenty of masking tape and newspaper, that way any silicone that oozes out will stick to the news paper and not the headlight itself, therefore less cleaning required :wink:
gee kelly *cough* you are full of great ideas :)

~Kupu~
4th January 2005, 01:27 PM
<glances at fingers then stretches> yepa - thats me ;)

The Sentinel
4th January 2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks folks... I'm off to give it a go now.....