PDA

View Full Version : Hot hatch comparison: Focus ST v Astra OPC v Megane RS265

btm
9th May 2013, 08:20 AM
And the winner is....

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/new-car-comparison/hatch-of-the-day-focus-st-v-astra-opc-v-megane-rs265-20130503-2iwh6.html?utm_source=drive&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=newsletter&utm_campaign=new_newsletter_v1

chrissn89
9th May 2013, 09:56 AM
This isnt the white OPC you are waiting on Milesy ?

HoldenAstra
9th May 2013, 10:18 AM

I thought the same thing when I read the it...sounds like the gear shift is not that good on the white one?

poita
9th May 2013, 11:11 AM
I thought the same thing when I read the it...sounds like the gear shift is not that good on the white one?

If it is yours, I'd be checking it out pretty well mate.

hazrd
9th May 2013, 01:39 PM
It is interesting to see the different views from each of the guys. The OPC wins here in an Australian review because of performance. Yet, the ST won in the UK for the exact same test by a different media group because it had the performance and handling, but also practicality.

Not complaining either way. The OPC and ST are my favorites by far. Still cant completely warm to the Megane

metry
9th May 2013, 08:34 PM
all three are great cars but it comes to personal preference. i personally would go the megane. idk why it just looks more in your face aggressive

Milesy
10th May 2013, 07:39 AM

Yep that's my car!

With regards to the gearbox I spoke to the Opel guys this week and they were sending out the service manager to check out the car and if there is any issue they will replace the gearbox.

chrissn89
10th May 2013, 11:46 AM
Yep that's my car!

With regards to the gearbox I spoke to the Opel guys this week and they were sending out the service manager to check out the car and if there is any issue they will replace the gearbox.

That's good news I figured it would all be fixed up if needed before delivery to you. They do look awesome in white :)

AstraTurbo03
10th May 2013, 12:25 PM
They all look pretty similar shapes as well, but the Opel does look the nicest but maybe I am biased :D.

Can't wait for a couple of years till they drop in price so I can get one ;)

Numbnut
10th May 2013, 03:18 PM
The Meg finally got pipped.

The Astra does indeed look the best.

lonewolf1983
10th May 2013, 05:07 PM
they're all a bit different with strengths and weaknesses in various areas.
I'd take the megane as I think it looks the best, handles the best and most suited for the track.

In the end, i'm just glad theres a few options and hot hatches are more popular than ever!

OPC1
27th June 2013, 01:22 PM
Before settling on the Astra OPC, I took the 265, the Scirocco and a couple of BM's for a drive (125i and Z4). The OPC had three options (read 'buttons') for performance/ride quality, which gave it a big jump on the 265, which was hard, hard, hard all the way. Fine if you're only in it to go fast, but no good if you have to take the Mrs to dinner, or beetle along to work. The Scirocco was similar to the OPC in ride quality on the soft settings, but we only could test the 'auto' (which has had its problems, of late) and it was both more expensive and not quite as nippy as either the OPC or the 265. The 125i was OK, but we were in the 4 door hatch, and it felt a bit like an SUV. Adequate, but not inspiring. Maybe the coupe would have been better, maybe not. The Z4 was actually quite nice, not particularly snappy in performance, no back seat (the OPC was best of all of these in that respect) and very little boot space (cut in half again when the top is down). But the Mrs loved it - I know who is getting the second car and who is getting the family car next time around!!!

So, the OPC won. At $43,000 it just couldn't be beaten on price/performance/space. The 265, at around $50K for the same options and with no 'soft' setting, just didn't compete. If I had $60K (and didn't care about the extra $20K), then I might have chosen the Scirocco, but I don't, so I didn't. The 125 BM was insipid and so that $60K price tag didn't come into it. And the Z4, well, if it was priced at $60 instead of $80 - then marital bliss may have come before price/performance/space. Luckily Bib Stilwell wasn't going to budge that much on price.

Now you know our path. We also tested the Polo GTi, which is quite a nice little thing. Much better spec'd and prettier than the Corsa OPC. But it would have been nearly the same price as the Astra and wasn't really in the same league.

lonewolf1983
27th June 2013, 08:41 PM
didnt drive the focus?

nigelh
27th June 2013, 08:57 PM
didnt drive the focus?

Probably looked at the front and couldn't stop :spew:

The flexi ride and the cabin was what made me get the opc over the 265.

Wraith
3rd July 2013, 01:40 PM
Personal choice on these 3 hot hatches all things considered is the AJ OPC.

Until the AJ OPC's introduction though, the Megane would've easily been the choice, IMHO the Focus is simply too fugly to even consider (saw one 2 nights ago) despite having some good qualities...

If anyone is looking at getting a hot hatch don't restrict yourself to only look at these 3, look at all of them out there so many to choose from everyone's bound to find the right fit :)

hazrd
3rd July 2013, 04:14 PM
A250 sport, Ange? :p

(although i have to say it is pretty freakin hot)

Wraith
4th July 2013, 04:29 PM
Absolutely love the new A Class range especially the hatch, right here and now I can't see anyone getting a better hatch for the money all things considered than the A250 sport, only drawback would be wait period which is now the better part of 12 months for one of these as they have now become hugely popular and it's little wonder that's the case :)

For myself unless something better surfaces in a couple of years time I'm gearing up to get an AMG variant, hopefully by then they'll have released the 3 door hatch and also a dedicated 2 door coupe or roadster variant of the AMG A Class 45's if not the 5 door hatch will do :)

lonewolf1983
6th July 2013, 03:28 PM
Absolutely love the new A Class range especially the hatch, right here and now I can't see anyone getting a better hatch for the money all things considered than the A250 sport, only drawback would be wait period which is now the better part of 12 months for one of these as they have now become hugely popular and it's little wonder that's the case :)

For myself unless something better surfaces in a couple of years time I'm gearing up to get an AMG variant, hopefully by then they'll have released the 3 door hatch and also a dedicated 2 door coupe or roadster variant of the AMG A Class 45's if not the 5 door hatch will do :)

M135i takes the cake for me, expensive but an awful lot of car

Wraith
9th July 2013, 02:14 PM
M135i takes the cake for me, expensive but an awful lot of car

M135i has lots of good qualities it is expensive but the AMG is even more so unfortunately, the real test for these 2 especially the AMG which has set a new bench mark for hot hatches will be the new Audi RS3, new Golf R will be interesting to see how it stacks up...

Cost being the main factor compared to any of those above the new AJ OPC or Megane or Focus seem like a bargain, so too would be the new Golf Gti MK7...

As said, so many sport or hot hatches to choose from these days you can't ask for more if your in the market for one :)