PDA

View Full Version : New TS Astra enthusiast.

indoctrine
2nd May 2013, 02:18 PM
Hey everyone!
I'm Indoctrine and I love my TS Astra, so I decided to join up here, because I want to do some work to my car, including a few modifications and I thought this would be the best place to get tips on what I should buy for it. :) I'm a design student at the University of South Australia, I just changed my license and registration over from NSW yesterday and finally got off my P plates... yay!

So, I've owned two TS Astras, my first was a metallic dark green 1998 CD model hatchback, I unfortunately lost her on October 2nd when I had an accident on the NSW F3 near Kuring-gai Chase when I checked my blindspot and moved into the middle lane to overtake a semi on a hill, unfortunately a trayback truck came from the right hand lane after I'd moved over and collided with me as I'd dropped down to about 80km/h because someone decided it would be funny to block my merging into the middle lane for a few minutes. I didn't even feel the impact and the damage was fairly mild, but according to AAMI, it couldn't be fixed for the $4800 I was insured for... later found out they were jerks, because the accident was declared "no one at fault" by the police and AAMI still jacked up my premium.

Pics:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/199925_10151101682453303_368713264_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/224551_10151101683008303_189306505_n.jpg

Because my first Astra saved my life by being such a solid little car, I decided I would buy another one with my insurance payout. Meet Astrid, the 2000 Astra TS City, purchased for $3800. I believe I'm the second owner of this car, because the interior is in as-new condition and there is only one dent on the outside (which still annoys me!). Pics of the baby:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rneuuscfz4scth3/1mt9wZPhYB

I live in the northern suburbs of Adelaide, so if you see me, feel free to stop and chat. :)

So, stuff I want to do.

Maintenance

Investigate minor ticking noise in valve(s)
Fix stripped sump plug (next service)
Repair the rear left quarter with the minor dent, its been touched up with paint by previous owner.
Check accelerator cable for stretching (dead spot in accelerator)

Upgrades

New stereo with iPod support
Suspension, swaybars, shocks for better handling (hoping for some advice on this)
General performance upgrades while making the car look as stock as possible on the outside
Replace Holden badges

faneca
2nd May 2013, 02:33 PM
Welcome along mate! Great to see another sa member!

If you are free tonight we are meeting at the Earl of Leicester in Parkside at 7:30for a pub meal you are welcome to come along!

Suspension wise, you can't buy a better shock and spring combo than eibachs and bistein... I have just fitted the b12 sportline kit to mine and the change is incredible.

And gslrallysport currently have a sale for their whiteline swaybars so I'd get onto that asap... Think they are $250ish posted for the 24mm adjustable sway bar. I also have this on mine and it makes a pretty big difference. Car is much flatter through corners and when partnered with the b12s there Is next to no body roll

Btw id put a black roof on the list ;)

guy 27
2nd May 2013, 02:47 PM
Welcome to oa.

Come to tonight's meet!

Jen
2nd May 2013, 02:51 PM
Welcome along. The F3 is always a hairy place I hate driving along there! Glad you enjoy the astras so much they are a great car

indoctrine
2nd May 2013, 03:15 PM
I could go a schnitty. :p do you have any bigger pictures of the black roof? Not sure that I like it.

faneca
2nd May 2013, 03:19 PM
I could go a schnitty. :p do you have any bigger pictures of the black roof? Not sure that I like it.

Apparently they have a very nice schnitty too so

If you come tonight you can see it in person... Otherwise have a look at my ride thread.

dutchy
2nd May 2013, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

indoctrine
2nd May 2013, 04:31 PM
Welcome along mate! Great to see another sa member!

If you are free tonight we are meeting at the Earl of Leicester in Parkside at 7:30for a pub meal you are welcome to come along!

Suspension wise, you can't buy a better shock and spring combo than eibachs and bistein... I have just fitted the b12 sportline kit to mine and the change is incredible.

And gslrallysport currently have a sale for their whiteline swaybars so I'd get onto that asap... Think they are $250ish posted for the 24mm adjustable sway bar. I also have this on mine and it makes a pretty big difference. Car is much flatter through corners and when partnered with the b12s there Is next to no body roll

Btw id put a black roof on the list ;)

Now that I'm back on my laptop, I can answer properly. I have quite a bit of body roll when I'm going through corners, sometimes I can shift the weight just right and it won't roll so much, but it's quite hard to get it right... and the hills are just too fun to drive through to slow down too much for corners. ;) I know I'm probably pushing it with a base model, but being under 25, my insurance would be insane on an SRi (looked at one when I was buying a new car, but it was a bit beaten up and obvious it'd been pushed hard)... though I'd love to drive one, I spend a lot of time drooling over them. :P

Welcome along. The F3 is always a hairy place I hate driving along there! Glad you enjoy the astras so much they are a great car

The F3 is not my favourite. It only took until I got my new car to get back on there... about 2 weeks.

btm
2nd May 2013, 04:37 PM
welcome aboard!

Brando47
2nd May 2013, 05:12 PM
Welcome to the forum, hope to see you tonight! Real shame about your first one being written off, not a good feeling when someone else wrecks your pride and joy :(

indoctrine
2nd May 2013, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the forum, hope to see you tonight! Real shame about your first one being written off, not a good feeling when someone else wrecks your pride and joy :(

I was inconsolable when it happened. I'm just lucky my father was there to collect details and keep a clear head... and then drive it home for me, because I was shaking. The real tragedy is that it drove wonderfully even on the drive home. :(

adam_92
2nd May 2013, 06:29 PM
Welcome to opelaus mate. Cya tonight!

indoctrine
2nd May 2013, 11:51 PM
Was great to meet you all and get some tips! :) Got some ideas for my car now.

jamie84
3rd May 2013, 06:21 PM
Welcome to OA