PDA

View Full Version : Corsa B gtir sr20det conversion

ward_1979
1st May 2013, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, as you may be aware my c20xe is stuffed.

Very hard to find another cheap engine.

Brother inlaw has a gtir half cut on offer for a nice price

What do you guys think on this as a engine conversion?

Will it fit? Custom mounts are no worries.

Cheers

guy 27
1st May 2013, 07:03 PM
Check the new laws that come in first as qld modification laws are changing very shortly. Limiting a lot of options on what we can do to cars now.

chris_r
4th May 2013, 11:52 PM
Could always go a Z20LET in a B. For the stuffing around you'd have to do with an SR swap, you'd be looking at about the same money. Like the C20XE, not an easy engine to find cheap though.

The only SR swap I've seen in a Corsa was having it mid-mounted and making it rear wheel drive. Can't remember whereabouts on the internet I saw it though. Other issue you'd have is the 4WD system too, unless you got a 2WD box. I had a mate with a U13 Bluebird SSS that as soon as he stepped up the power, he pretty much started popping gearboxes.

I like the idea as a challenge, but I would wonder in terms of the drivetrain, in particular with regards to the geometry of the driveshafts, is that it would have to be spot on, otherwise it'd drive like a pig.

Other swap I'd consider given that you've already got a C20XE, is maybe the C20SEL/C22SEL from the Vectra B. Not really a power upgrade as such, but there'd be a few around.

Wraith
6th May 2013, 12:46 PM
Check the new laws that come in first as qld modification laws are changing very shortly. Limiting a lot of options on what we can do to cars now.

+ 1

If you want to keep it all legal and roadworthy (and seriously you should) then look into all the local RTA regs first before attempting any kind of engine swap or transplant, especially if this car is used as a daily driver...

The last thing you want is all manner of legal issues and zero insurance coverage if anything were to happen...not to mention it'd be almost impossible to try and sell off later...

poita
6th May 2013, 12:53 PM
There was a Calibra in Canberra that had an SR20 conversion done

He had nothing but trouble with it, and cost a fortune due to so many custom parts that had to be made.

InsaneAsylum
6th May 2013, 09:58 PM

I'm surprised you can still fart in public in QLD without having to be registered on the QLD public farter's list.

benzino
6th May 2013, 10:50 PM
If you want a swap that's outside the box, go saab with aftermarket engine management. It would be a hell of a lot easier than a sr20 and they are a lot more common compared to the opel performance engines.

chris_r
8th May 2013, 12:08 AM
If you want a swap that's outside the box, go saab with aftermarket engine management. It would be a hell of a lot easier than a sr20 and they are a lot more common compared to the opel performance engines.

Well, it's not too far out of the box considering that some of the later engines are very similar in design to the Opel units.

If you can't find another C20XE, it's probably worth just getting the head and valves fixed (given you're already on a new bottom end). It'd be easier in the long run. Although, you can take the opportunity to strip the motor right down and rebuild it for a turbo conversion.

benzino
8th May 2013, 02:02 PM
I meant for aus... hell any corsa swaps are outside the box for aus

ant0ny
14th May 2013, 07:40 PM
How bad is the engine?

The cheapest option is either fix what you have or replace with exactly the same. This will take the least amount of time and give you something that is running.

Here is a start:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-CALIBRA-1991-1997-2-0-C20XE-TWIN-CAM-ENGINE-MOTOR-WRECKING-WHOLE-CAR-/280914810892?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4167d3d80c

Here is a COSCAST Head I should buy this myself as they are getting rare as:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cossi-Zylinderkopf-Opel-16V-C20XE-Turbo-C20LET-Calibra-Astra-Coscast-Cossy-/121105632332?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item1c32754c4c

ward_1979
16th May 2013, 10:23 PM
I finally found a second hand head, should arrive next week

Sr would of been a pain, was just that I could get cheap

Will stick to the original plan with the c20xe since its all mounted and well was running

Once I get back together will invest in a turbo kit

corsaford
18th June 2013, 09:20 PM
Have a full c20xe turbo sitting on the engine stand