PDA

View Full Version : Arden Blue paint and stone chips

st1king02r
24th April 2013, 01:57 PM
Hi

Anyone like to comment or following this thread:

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?201937-Stone-chips

Appears to be a big issue in relation to the Arden Blue paint being susceptible to stone chips and the response from Vauxhall in the UK. ( OPC with 20inch wheels )

Would appreciate comment from any dealer before making decision on buying one. I contacted Opel customer service in Australia who had not heard anything. I sent an email also so just waiting for response.

Thanks

adam_92
24th April 2013, 01:59 PM
The Arden blue does tend to be a bit 'softer' than other colours. It wouldn't put me off buying one though.

dutchy
24th April 2013, 02:05 PM
If it worries you that much, why not take another color ? The opc looks tops in white (but a hassle to keep clean though)

guy 27
24th April 2013, 02:06 PM
It shows more on the blue and black than the others.
The paint used by opel is basf paint. Same used by lots of other euro manufacturers.
If you are really worried about stone chips I'd recommend putting a clear vinyl wrap over the front areas of the car.
If done right you won't know it's there and will save the paint work.

hazrd
24th April 2013, 02:32 PM
+1 to Guy's comments
If i were ever to choose an Arden OPC, I would have the above done pre delivery ;)

nigelh
24th April 2013, 02:52 PM
It's one of the reasons I decided to order a white one will probably fit mud flaps too.

kabel
24th April 2013, 03:00 PM
I have an Arden Blue car, it is 7 years old this year, has 65,000kms on it and only a couple of small chips on the bonnet (I have brush touched up the paint). I also have other cars and the Arden does not appear to be any more susceptible to stone chipping due to it being softer.
I also try not to sit too close to the car in front of me.

Having said that if I were buying a new OPC white would definately be my colour chioce (trust me , white is easier to kepp clean than the Black car I have!).
They look really classy in that colour with the 20`s on them.
Just my 2c worth.

Kilbourn
25th April 2013, 11:11 PM
Good advice about the clear vinyl wrap, but really it shouldn't be that needed, can't say i've seen anything out the ordinary with stone chipping, but that's not to say it isn't true. So it's just that particular Arden blue paint which is softer, none of the others?

guy 27
25th April 2013, 11:17 PM
all the paints are soft. in the early days the arden was softer but they are all much and much now.

AstraTurbo03
28th April 2013, 09:53 PM
Can't you get like a clear coat of paint protection over the whole car ? If I bought a brand new car I would definitely get this to protect my paint.

poita
28th April 2013, 10:11 PM
A clear vinyl would be a better way to go than extra clear coat imo

UNEEQ
30th April 2013, 10:34 AM
I got the Fusion Glaze applied to mine.

I've only got 3 chips/scratches

1 on the target problem area (just behind the door in that lower area before the rear wheel on the passenger side) and a hairline scratch from the crash on the rear bumper, it's really not visible. There's also a scratch on the black shark fin, and I'll be damned if I can work out how the hell that happened!!!

I think the glaze has probably given the paint just that little bit more protection, and the 3 chips I had would have been within the 72 hours that it takes to cure, so it wasn't fully set yet.

kabel
30th April 2013, 02:29 PM
A clear vinyl would be a better way to go than extra clear coat imo
Agreed.
And I certainly would not be getting any paint protection applied via a car dealer.

Alternatively look at your chips as battle scars/laugh lines on your face or anything else associated with getting old or having being used. :ihih:

Kilbourn
30th April 2013, 09:58 PM
Agreed.
And I certainly would not be getting any paint protection applied via a car dealer.

Alternatively look at your chips as battle scars/laugh lines on your face or anything else associated with getting old or having being used. :ihih:

I used to be really concerned with every little scratch or thing i found, eventually over time, i just stopped caring so much as it's entirely impossible to be so obsessed with perfection over any length of time. So yeah i agree with this, just accept the bullets as battle scars :)

Vectracious
30th April 2013, 10:52 PM
I used to be really concerned with every little scratch or thing i found, eventually over time, i just stopped caring so much as it's entirely impossible to be so obsessed with perfection over any length of time. So yeah i agree with this, just accept the bullets as battle scars :)

Well said.

Honestly guys - you're making all of this a bigger deal than it should be. Think about it realistically - 40micron thickness of paint is not going to make one tiny bit of difference when a stone hits your paintwork at a speed differential of anything between 50-200km/h. Get your dealer to make you some touch up paint and deal with it when it happens. :)

faneca
30th April 2013, 10:58 PM
The other thing is it happens to every car regardless of colour... Mine is white and has quite a few stone chips too. Dad has a silver 4x4 bolus and even that has some stone chips. So its one of the things that happens and you have to live with.

nuggz
1st May 2013, 12:02 AM
Maybe i should get more paint sprayed on thicker? Maybe the stones wont give my baby a boo boo?

eddysdaman
1st May 2013, 02:46 PM
I'm thinking bubble wrap. And coming from a black car, those nasty stone chips show up a treat when its a white/primed fiberglass panel.

dutchy
2nd May 2013, 03:31 PM
Why not use the cheapest diy option and get some plasti dip. You can you get it in clear or can be mixed into colours.

chrissn89
14th May 2013, 08:59 AM
You could try this looks easy and being 3M it should be good quality

http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender

dutchy
14th May 2013, 10:59 AM
You could try this looks easy and being 3M it should be good quality

http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender

Looks similar to plastidip but then thinner.