PDA

View Full Version : Window Tints Question

btm
22nd April 2013, 10:41 AM
The missus' window tint is looking very shabby, peeling & bubbling etc - obviously a dodgy job done from previous owner

So my question is this... Whats the cost to have someone remove it all? (its going to be sold so just tidying it up)

But by the time you've paid someone to remove the tints all around, is it best to just have it re-tinted and have them remove it?

Or can I remove the tints myself?

Thanks in advance

guy 27
22nd April 2013, 10:43 AM
Neeko could answer this best.

I removed the tint on the vert. just a bit annoying cleaning the glue but otherwise was pretty easy.

dutchy
22nd April 2013, 11:02 AM
I followed Neeko's instructions a while ago and used a little hand held steamer. Came off pretty quick and easy.

btm
23rd April 2013, 03:02 PM
thanks for the tips guys, i'll do a bit more research me thinks

chris_r
23rd April 2013, 08:06 PM
Last time I remember asking this to a tint guy, he said around about $50, but that was about 4 years ago. All depends on who you get to do it though.

adam_92
23rd April 2013, 08:11 PM
It's still around $50 to remove tint although that was when I enquired how much extra it was te remove old tint when doing new tint. It may be more if just removing and not refitting.

Neeko
24th May 2013, 10:58 AM
Do you still need advice removing this stuff? Only jsut saw this

btm
24th May 2013, 12:26 PM
Do you still need advice removing this stuff? Only jsut saw this

yes please mate

Neeko
24th May 2013, 01:20 PM
yes please mate

Best way to remove the stuff is with a steamer, something like this (http://static.productreview.com.au/pr.products/70987_electrolux_z350a_hand_gun.jpg).

Simply hold peel up one corner of the window and steam before the lip where you're pealing and it should come off in one piece with the glue (if the tint is not too old).

If the tint is incredibly old and bubbled the steamer won't be of any use and you'll have to practice your patience scraping little bits of tint of the window using one of these:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFnNr6h3nVNA2SMfzKqCXUKGsSzI-hysF4n3-5GI12riy5ZwnG

as long as the blade is sharp you will not scratch the glass, I use a bottle with a trigger filled with water and a couple of drops of detergent to make the blade slide a bit easier. Also helps grab the glue.

Hope this helps :)

btm
24th May 2013, 01:26 PM
thank you