PDA

View Full Version : New member from Germany

Semom
29th December 2004, 09:58 PM
Hi there,

my name is Holger, im 22 years old and I live in Germany (near Cologne).

My car is a 1998 Opel Astra G 1,6 16v which I bought half a year ago.

I´m very curious what your Australian Astras look like :wink: You are very lucky that you guys in Australia don´t have these legal restrictions concerning car safety as we have in Germany (called the "TÜV") :?

If I find some good pictures of my Astra, maybe I´ll show them here.

AnthonyW
29th December 2004, 10:59 PM
Welcome Holger

Hope you enjoy OpelAus

talk to you soon

You'll have to tell us about this TÜV car safety rules. :shock:

Anyways welcome

mr_astra_retired
29th December 2004, 11:10 PM
Hello Holger and welcome

Have a look around our part of the Opel world :mrgreen:

YuSuF
30th December 2004, 12:00 AM
Hi Holger Welcome to OPELAUS!

Always nice to have someone join from the Homeland, Enjoy.

Semom
30th December 2004, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the nice greetings ;)

You have never heard of the German TÜV? It´s short for "Technischer Überwachungsverein" (Technical Inspection Agency). Or is there a similar institution in Australia?

imay
30th December 2004, 07:43 AM
Welcome to another German visitor. You guys are always welcome here, just as you have made me welcome at www.astra4ever.de . . . please enjoy your stay.

Some states of Australia have yearly registration inspections to ensure a car is safe and legal. We also have random roadside inspections (where they check driver's licence, alcohol/drug reading of driver and car modifications) to ensure a car is safe to drive.

Enjoy our forum and gallery.

Semom
30th December 2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks to you, imay ;)

What you describe (the yearly inspections) is very similar to what we call "TÜV", but I think here in Germany the legal restrictions are much more demanding than anywhere else in the world. And the all the TÜV-stuff is much more complicated... probably you would laugh at these needless rules ;)

I´ve just checked your gallery, the member´s cars look great. I would do almost everything to get an airbag cover with the Holden batch, but it´s almost impossible to get one here :(

ADD:
I´ve just realized why here were so few new posts in the last hours... you guys are some hours ahead :oops: Here it´s 11:21 pm now, I think I should go to bed. See you tomorrow/later ;)

Euro Racer
30th December 2004, 11:26 PM
Wilkommen Holger. I was born in Unna Germany which is near Dortmund :mrgreen:

Enjoy your stay here :D

NUTTTR
30th December 2004, 11:53 PM
Heya Holger!
I would love to move to Germany someday lol, but maybe not, it's a big move!!!

Our standards of "yearly inspections" (registration/pink slip) they are called are NOTHING like the TÜV at all!!! We don't have emission checks, (well we do but i don't know a single person who's been stopped or checked for it...) but we do have volume testing for exhausts, etc, but your car has to be pretty "unsafe" on the road for there to be a problem at all, the TÜV is a huge amount stricter and yes, i do laugh at it!
We can do A LOT of stuff with our cars without having problems, turbo installs, etc, if the cops don't notice it, pink slip checks usually don't care (i've turned up to 2 checks in the past where they haven't even LOOKED at the car, they have something they can do with the test machine (brakes) and print out a new slip with my rego!!! So it's a little dodgy i think!)
Hope you enjoy the site!
Aaron

OPC
31st December 2004, 01:58 AM
welcome holger...

if u want a airbag cover with a holden badge i would do what we do and get a wheel cap badge and file the back of it down and superglue it to the existing steering wheel thats what i did and u can see the results in the ( astra la vista lion badge ) thread in THE TURBO topic...

RapidSRi
31st December 2004, 08:12 AM
Hi Holger, Welcome.
In Queensland we pay registration and walk away without any threat of authorities looking at the car. Potentially once a car is registered it can become very defective and it will not be checked again till it changes ownership. So you could say we have potential to be extremely unsafe.
I am glad that we don't have restrictive TUV though.
See you around.