PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from SW Victoria - considering Astra Turbo Diesel 6 speed...

stevo
18th April 2013, 07:35 AM
Hi all,

Current wheels are an old faithful Pulsar had since new in '96, but really, really interested in the idea of a manual Diesel hatch, hearing lots of good things about the Astra's! Looking to spend around $10,000. Any tips or things to be wary of?

Steve

dutchy
18th April 2013, 08:21 AM
Hello Steve, welcome to the site mate. Personally have no experience with a diesel but im sure others on the forum can tell you all about it.

hazrd
18th April 2013, 12:12 PM
sooty used to own a very tidy example of a diesel. He may be able to assist if he sees this thread :)

guy 27
18th April 2013, 12:22 PM
Welcome to OA

faneca
18th April 2013, 12:57 PM
Welcome along bud!

stevo
18th April 2013, 05:26 PM
Welcome along bud!

Nice to be here! I'm lookin' forward to the wisdom of other (and hopefully diesel too) owners on-site. Totally new territory for me. :RollingEyes:

Cheers

Steve

sooty
18th April 2013, 07:17 PM
Things to look out for:
Blowing lots of smoke (could be faulty EGR valve, map sensor or most serious is having the swirl bar rod come off the flaps)
Check the clutch movement for any knocks or vibrations as the dual mass flywheel can be a bit shit.
Watch for gearstick movement as you let the clutch out in first with quicker starts, especially for it jumping towards neutral, this paired with a faint whine in 5th and 6th means the gearbox bearings are on their way out (only really an issue on the 06 models)

jb05
18th April 2013, 07:37 PM
Welcome...

stevo
19th April 2013, 07:17 AM
Things to look out for:
Blowing lots of smoke (could be faulty EGR valve, map sensor or most serious is having the swirl bar rod come off the flaps)
Check the clutch movement for any knocks or vibrations as the dual mass flywheel can be a bit shit.
Watch for gearstick movement as you let the clutch out in first with quicker starts, especially for it jumping towards neutral, this paired with a faint whine in 5th and 6th means the gearbox bearings are on their way out (only really an issue on the 06 models)

Hi sooty,

Thanks for your reply! :)
Swirl bar rod coming off the flaps?? Sounds like something my butcher might do for me?? :nonod: I take it that the 06 models might be a bit sus? I've read some really good reviews about the diesels (all recommending the manual over the auto) - do they really go as hard as I've heard? :thumbs:

Steve

dutchy
19th April 2013, 08:28 AM
do they really go as hard as I've heard? :thumbs:

Steve

Get a greenbox and you'll be laughing

sooty
19th April 2013, 08:58 AM
If you take the engine cover off and look directly down into the depths at the top near the inlet manifold you will see a thin curved metal rod, should be connected to 4 locations.

And yeah 06 had dodgy gearbox bearings, 07 on is good.

They're definitely a fairly quick car once tuned

stevo
19th April 2013, 05:34 PM
Get a greenbox and you'll be laughing

Thanks dutchy! Now this is the 2nd time I've heard of a Greenbox - it's an ECU I take it? Does it add-on to the existing one - or replace it?

Steve

hazrd
19th April 2013, 05:57 PM
www.diesel-performance.co.uk
Just plugs in ;)

sooty
19th April 2013, 08:08 PM
Don't get the greenbox, get the crd-t, trust me

dutchy
19th April 2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks dutchy! Now this is the 2nd time I've heard of a Greenbox - it's an ECU I take it? Does it add-on to the existing one - or replace it?

Steve

There's a couple of them that do more or less the same. Just plug and play.

stevo
20th April 2013, 04:45 AM
Don't get the greenbox, get the crd-t, trust me

Hey soot - now I'm confused? :shocked:

Are you talking another ECU - because at first I thought it was another newer Astra model - but nothing shows up here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Astra).

Steve

dutchy
20th April 2013, 03:11 PM
same thing mate, google DTUK

sooty
20th April 2013, 11:04 PM
Just the better and next incarnation of the greenbox :)

glider
20th April 2013, 11:12 PM
Hey soot - now I'm confused? :shocked:

Are you talking another ECU - because at first I thought it was another newer Astra model - but nothing shows up here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Astra).

Steve

I have a DTUK box fitted to my diesel triton (Same company but probably a different unit). Basically, its a piggyback unit that plugs into the factory loom somewhere in the engine bay and alters signals sent post-ecu to boost performance. There are various different types, some connect to the MAF, others connect to the injectors, I'm not sure how the greenbox/crdt are hooked up. As an example, on my triton it plugs into the injectors, intercepts the signal from the ecu and modifies the pulse width of the injectors (the duration for which the injector sprays fuel) to improve economy and performance - it does both but with the extra power it's hard to drive for economy :lol: so far I've done 30,000km with the box fitted and could never go back, the car is just so much more responsive with a huge improvement in low-end torque and if you drive it properly, you will see extra mileage.

stevo
21st April 2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks Glider! I must confess - all of this is totally new to me, so apologies if I come across as a bit of a goober! I've just had one thread (rather harshly - I think) closed on me, because I was asking questions to try and establish a bit more about the diesels - but sometimes it appears that questions and even their tone can be misunderstood in forums methinks? :blush2:

Steve

hazrd
21st April 2013, 12:44 PM
Emoticons are there to portray your tone. So when you roll your eyes at someone's answer and harp on over something that has already been answered the only way that it can be, (ie; a cruze motor is completely different to an Astra motor), its not taken nicely. You will find this attitude all over the Internet and not just here.

If you believe that the thread closure was unjust, take it to private messaging instead of complaining about it in another part of the forum.

We are all here to help, but if there's hostility amongst your answers, you won't get much help. Just some food for thought

Thanks

Vectracious
21st April 2013, 01:07 PM
Please read this thread (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?33086-OpelAus-Forum-Rules-**-Please-Read-**). Specifically the rule "no complaints about moderation.

This is one of the least moderated car forums out there, but as hazrd said, when you start rolling your eyes at a member like guy 27 when he one of the most knowledgeable members on here, you're going to cop some flak.