PDA

View Full Version : SRi barina newbie

Rocky
13th April 2013, 01:53 AM
Does anyone know what size rims i can legally have put on my sri 2002 xc barina. The stock size on them now is 17" but after just getting a respray it needs some new wheels to match. If anyone has any pics of some nice rims on a silver sri barina please post them up so i can see

poita
13th April 2013, 02:03 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Wheel size varies from state to state with the laws.

Where abouts are you located?

chris_r
14th April 2013, 01:44 AM
Welcome.

Depends on what year you have I think, if you got the pre-facelift model, you'd originally have 15" seven spoke rims, post facelift (03-on) and you've got 16" five spoke rims standard. As poita stated, it depends on where you are. Some places allow for a plus two fitment, meaning you can go two inches larger than what was fitted stock, others usually as big as you want as long as the rolling diameter (diameter of the overall tyre size) isn't anymore than 15mm larger than the rolling diameter of the stock rim and tyre.

Personally, I wouldn't go any larger than 17". It won't help your handling (it will more than likely hinder it) and on a small car, bigger wheels kind of make it look like a SUV.

poita
14th April 2013, 12:28 PM
SRi pre-facelift is 16" btw ;)

chris_r
14th April 2013, 09:34 PM
Actually, the pre-facelift (01-early 03) SRi were standard with 15" and 185/55R15 tyres. Well, that's what were on the ex's '02 SRi anyway. Can't blame you if you didn't take notice, because the 15" wheels didn't look as good as the post-facelift wheels. I do get the feeling in early '03 they might have switched wheels before changing the front end though.

poita
14th April 2013, 09:47 PM
I have one sitting in the driveway, I'm pretty sure I know what wheels are on it

chris_r
15th April 2013, 11:06 PM
All due respect Pete, I also had one in my driveway for around 18 months. Wasn't mine, but I wasted a lot of time messing around with the thing and I remember it having 15s originally.

I should correct myself and rephrase what I said though. All 2001, 2002 and some of the early 2003 models were all fitted with the 15" wheels. Later '03 and the early '04 models (yet still pre-MY04.5 facelift), like poita's had the 16s.

My recommendation to the OP is to check the tyre placard fitted to the car, as this will tell you what wheels were fitted originally and this will give you a guide as to what you can and can't fit. Then compare the size of the original tyre with the new intended size to be fitted. There's a good tyre calculator here, that also does comparisons between two different sizes: http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tyres/SizeCalc.aspx

Main thing is to make sure that you don't screw up your speedo reading, as the last thing you want is a speeding fine.

Rocky
19th April 2013, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have checked and infact do have the 15 inch on there now and that is what it came with as standard. It is the 2002 sri barina and i am in nsw

btm
19th April 2013, 01:09 PM
welcome aboard!

faneca
19th April 2013, 01:14 PM
Welcome along!

DJB027
7th May 2013, 11:52 PM
Welcome to the club. Pop some pictures up so we can see your new car!

easy-e
8th May 2013, 06:01 PM
welcome