PDA

View Full Version : Astra 2000 ecu

quintrex
8th April 2013, 05:18 PM
Is the ECU OBDII compliant? Are the cheap ECU scanners from China worth considering for occasional use?

chris_r
8th April 2013, 10:17 PM
All new cars manufactured post 1996 are required to be OBDII compliant, therefore your Astra is. And yes, the cheap Chinese scanners work well. I've got both the OP-COM reader/programmer and ELM327 bluetooth readers, both of which do work well. Only issue I have is with the BT ELM327, which doesn't seem to like Opels for some reason (when I use it with the Torque app on my phone or tablet).

quintrex
11th May 2013, 12:15 PM
I bought a OBDII compliant U480 scanner but it would not link to my 2000Astra G (CD) ECU. It works fine on my 2007Forester. The strange thing is that the Astra has a 16 pin terminal box and the scanner plug fits it perfectly.
Someone has said that the ELM32& will not work but that the ELM 323 will work, however I believe from the ELM documentation that the ELM 323 has a 14 plug connector. Can anyone sort this contradiction out please?

poita
11th May 2013, 12:31 PM
OBD2 is OBD2, afaik there are no variations of this.

I have a bluetooth ELM327 and it works in every OBD2 I've tried

chris_r
11th May 2013, 08:03 PM
OBD2 is OBD2, afaik there are no variations of this.

I have a bluetooth ELM327 and it works in every OBD2 I've tried

Poita is somewhat right here. OBD2 is OBD2, in terms of connections at least. It specifies a 16pin diagnostics connector for pretty much every car since 96. However, some of the SB Barinas (not sure about any Astras having this) came with OBDII spec plugs, but were in fact run on OBD1 protocols, this is also referred to as OBD1.5. The only variations in OBDII is the protocol on which the ECU runs. Opels as far as I know have used KW-81, KWP-2000 and CANBUS protocols. Opel also encrypt their protocols, so this is probably why some ELM327s work and some don't.

To be honest, if you want to read the thing and do a little bit more, just get an OP-COM reader and use a laptop (I've got a HP netbook that does the job well). You can buy OP-COM clones on the 'bay that are cheap and work well. I've had one for the past four or five years and it's been money well spent.