PDA

View Full Version : Ts Astra dash pod gauge swap

pottergt
6th April 2013, 02:09 PM
Hi Team , I am new to the forum and just bought a TS 02 Astra , it has 300,000 k's on the clock and I have another spare dash with apparently 180,000 Km Looking a whole lot tidier

Can I just swap them over or do I need to reprogram the new dash once fitted

Also just removed the alternator as it was noisy , about to go and collect a second hand 1
, what a nightmare those security bolts are for just an alternator , can't see why they are needed for that !

Cheers Craig

AfterBurner
6th April 2013, 02:20 PM
simple swap if same model AFAIK... Will obviously reduce the K's of ur car too... :hand:

pottergt
6th April 2013, 02:27 PM
simple swap if same model AFAIK... Will obviously reduce the K's of ur car too... :hand:
Cheers , something needs to go right for me , great little car but it has it's challenges !

Cheers for prompt reply much appreciated

balker
6th April 2013, 02:28 PM
You mean torx bolts? There are plentyl...

AfterBurner
6th April 2013, 02:30 PM
Pretty much ALL euro cars use them these days... BMW etc...

pottergt
6th April 2013, 05:43 PM
Cheers , something needs to go right for me , great little car but it has it's challenges !

Cheers for prompt reply much appreciated

Hi fitted alternator and dash in under 1 hour all good agin for the beast , thanks again g
For your responses

Wraith
10th April 2013, 01:14 PM
Hi Team , I am new to the forum and just bought a TS 02 Astra , it has 300,000 k's on the clock and I have another spare dash with apparently 180,000 Km Looking a whole lot tidier

Can I just swap them over or do I need to reprogram the new dash once fitted

Also just removed the alternator as it was noisy , about to go and collect a second hand 1
, what a nightmare those security bolts are for just an alternator , can't see why they are needed for that !

Cheers Craig

No it won't - the km readout is part of the ecu not the odometer, so if you swap out the dials it'll read out at whatever the vehicles readout was before...

I've done this operation in my TS vert, ie. brand new odometer and after installed it read out the same mileage as the previous one...

If you wanted to change the reading you'll need a tech 2 tool to do it...

guy 27
10th April 2013, 01:23 PM
No it won't - the km readout is part of the ecu not the odometer, so if you swap out the dials it'll read out at whatever the vehicles readout was before...

I've done this operation in my TS vert, ie. brand new odometer and after installed it read out the same mileage as the previous one...

If you wanted to change the reading you'll need a tech 2 tool to do it...

First I've ever heard of that. Every cluster I've swapped in ts and everyone I know that has done it has had the reading that was on the new cluster

pottergt
10th April 2013, 06:55 PM
Hi , I did change it over and was lucky enough for it to just work without any programming etc , only difference I noticed was the dash fuel gauge on the new dash has liters rather than E or F and the speedo goes to z210 not 220 , otherwise it went to the kms noted on the new dash

balker
10th April 2013, 09:52 PM
I wander if the previous owner also did this. Maybe your car has really done 500,000kms...

Wraith
11th April 2013, 01:12 PM
First I've ever heard of that. Every cluster I've swapped in ts and everyone I know that has done it has had the reading that was on the new cluster

That is weird and should definitely not be the case, I too know of cases where the dials have been changed with new ones at GMH service centres and they displayed previous elapsed km reading not 0km.

Maybe it's a different case with used odometer/dials ??? but definitely not the case if you replace a used dash with new dials...

Hi , I did change it over and was lucky enough for it to just work without any programming etc , only difference I noticed was the dash fuel gauge on the new dash has liters rather than E or F and the speedo goes to z210 not 220 , otherwise it went to the kms noted on the new dash

Just as I thought and confirms what I already stated initially and above...

I wander if the previous owner also did this. Maybe your car has really done 500,000kms...

I'm still positive about that the cars ecu records the travelled distance and not the odometer, it just reads out information that the ecu is feeding it ...

In my case when I installed the new dash dials in my TS I was ready to go into a service department and consult the use of a tech 2 tool to put back the same reading as it was before, but after the install the readout was in fact as per previous dial reading and that's where I also found out from a GMH service department that that is indeed the case...

But as said it could be a different story for swapping out used dials with other used dials ??? next time I get the chance to pop the question at a GMH service centre, I'll find out for sure...

dutchy
11th April 2013, 08:18 PM
ecu does record odo. With the correct Opcom version you can change the odo too.

Wraith
12th April 2013, 11:25 AM
ecu does record odo. With the correct Opcom version you can change the odo too.

Another confirmation on what I thought was the case...

Guy27 not sure what's happened or going on in the cases you mentioned but something's a miss there ???

guy 27
12th April 2013, 11:50 AM
ecu does record km's. the dash cluster also has a memory which retains the km's from previous car it was removed from.
next time I do a swap i'll take photos to show you.

Wraith
12th April 2013, 12:53 PM
ecu does record km's. the dash cluster also has a memory which retains the km's from previous car it was removed from.
next time I do a swap i'll take photos to show you.

That's ok as that would explain the case as mentioned of swapping out a used odometer dial for another used odometer dial...

Mine as mentioned and others I've been told about swapped out at GMH dealers were new for old change overs...